Other Guitars

cool old Kays

So, my K1700B went out with a MSRP of ~$219...

Great catalog, funny how it compares to other manufacturers...full line, very expressive descriptions, etc.

Yeah my current obsession is finding an under the bed Value Leader bass. But there's another cool one, the Speed Demon bass.

I love product literature from that era.

Kay, Valco, and Harmony were all Chicago based..

It appears Kay merged w/ Valco for the last two years of both companies. Harmony lasted a bit longer into 1975.

I'm keeping an eye out for a couple 60's Kay acoustics that are pretty cool. One is the 6175 and I've actually tracked one down, had a k&k mini pickup put in and it's my gigging acoustic now.

There's another, the Kay Country Professional Jumbo that I'm looking for (at a reasonable price).

Here's what the 6175 looks like.

Cheers for sharing that.

Looking for a thin twin Jerry Reed/Howling Wolf model at the moment. Probably a reissue as the problems with giant necks, no truss rod and expense worry me. Reissues are good prices too. Hmm, how about that weird scale length? Ya never know till you've tried

This English fellah makes a great sound withhis

Wow...never seen a Solo King before.

I just love them having a guitar called the Value Leader!!

I have the Reissue Thin Twin as well in Blonde.

26" scale and a consistent C neck all the way up. Pups are a little "dark" more so favoring the root note. They are built somewhat upside down, magnet on the bottom, first generation Kay design.

Yes, a search shows someone shelled out 2K for a super clean Solo King.

What I have also found is that we're all a bit wary of guitars/basses w/ no adjustable truss rod, but some Kay models that didn't have them at some point later did. So you have to keep the search going and one might turn up.

Right now I am all eaten up with getting a clean Value Leader bass, (Rumble Seat had one almost unplayed a few years ago for $750.

I think the guitar and bass necks are interchangeable on these

I'm keeping an eye out for a couple 60's Kay acoustics that are pretty cool. One is the 6175 and I've actually tracked one down, had a k&k mini pickup put in and it's my gigging acoustic now.

There's another, the Kay Country Professional Jumbo that I'm looking for (at a reasonable price).

– crowbone

Like this one?

26" scale and a consistent C neck all the way up. Pups are a little "dark" more so favoring the root note. They are built somewhat upside down, magnet on the bottom, first generation Kay design.

– Twangmeisternyc

So do you like it? Also wondering if there's much 'twang' there, although I believe Twang is often achieved via the amp. Plus playability, is it a tough experience?

Yes, I like it...has it's own vibe. A couple issues with MIC build quality, but minor, now corrected.

The plain 3rd at that string length has a great combo of fretting/tone/feel, seems ideal.

The chambering is extensive, very resonant, faux solid body.

Yes, I like it...has it's own vibe. A couple issues with MIC build quality, but minor, now corrected.

The plain 3rd at that string length has a great combo of fretting/tone/feel, seems ideal.

The chambering is extensive, very resonant, faux solid body.

– Twangmeisternyc

Thanks for that. How about bending on the G string, is the whole tone OK? Or sometimes I just think... Oh don't do that on this guitar, think of something different

– Twangmeisternyc

that natural baby Kessel is SUCH a cool guitar!!!!

I have a Kay-made Silvertone 1365 - about mid fifties I think? It's been extensively restored and modified into my "faux-barney kessel".. It had a neck reset with better angle than it came from the factory with and a jumbo refret, and luckily those were already done nicely when I got it. I had my tech take out the not-so-exciting Kay speed bump pickups and put in two Kay Kleenex box pickups, it's been rewired with new pots and switch (50's gibson wiring) and it has a reissue Gretsch Melita and a Bigsby B-6 with a duane handle.

So it took some doing to make it play and turn it into what I wanted, but for my taste, it was totally worth it, I like it a lot, and what it lacks in finesse, it fully makes up in character.

And another clip

nice job walter...esp. love the robert ward maggie tone of first vid...just right

cheers

Walter, that guitar's got such a great percussive knock to every note. It's got some serious personality. The Vibrato effect is amazing with it too. Wonderful.

Those big Kleenex box pickups sound great! Thanks WB sweet demo!

hah..great pic bz... is that a fuzz pedal on the ground?

cheers

I keep wanting to add some speech bubbles to Billy's photo. Wonder what they're saying?

Register Sign in to join the conversation