Other Guitars

Check out the new Rics:

Using the 330 body for a bass and the 4001 bass body for a six string! I dig the bass look very much!

Link

Didn't they have a guitar in a 4001 body model for a while?

I don't recall, but possibly. These are apparently a limited run and maybe you're memory was of a line like that. I betcha that bass there will set you back at least $2500 clams. Prolly more like 3 grand.

Oh, and thanks for posting the pic Senor Tubs!

– DCBirdMan

They had a couple, called 480’s. One model had slanted frets.

Dang, who shook up Mr.Hall to break from tradition on that bass?

Dang, who shook up Mr.Hall to break from tradition on that bass?

– Twom

$$$$

– tubwompus

Serge Pizzorno from Kasabian used Rick 480/481s

– tubwompus

I think you have it right... the 480. But i am all eaten up w/ the 950 -- none around. ended in 1980

That is pretty slick. Seems new models from Ric are rare.

Who'd have ever seen the 480 making a comeback? Maybe cresting wave lover Proteus.

But to bring back the 480 and still never have reissued the beautiful 1950s Capri or F body, which people have been clamoring for, confounds me.

Don't know about the new models but I've always wanted a six-string Ric 660 -- a black one. It won't happen -- too old and can't afford one.

Yeahman! I could crest that wave. I'll have to know more about the detailed spec, though. Typical Ric nut width would kill it. Don't care for the sunburst with all black plastic parts.

Also, from the perspective in that pic, the body looks ludicrously big by comparison to the neck. Maybe that's because I'm used to seeing that body with a bass neck.

But sure is interesting, anyway.

never to have reissued the beautiful 1950s Capri or F body, which people have been clamoring for, confounds me.

That is an enduring mystery. Those are lovely guitars.

But GEEBUS, where do you find more information? The most recent posting on the "News" tab at Ric's site is from 2014, I don't see these guitars among that page full of teeny tiny thumbnails for "all products," and I'm not going to click through every numerical model grouping trying to guess what they might have called it.

If one UK website is the sole source of the announcement, I might call Photoshop.

The first Ric I ever had in my hands was a 480. I remember being really, really disappointed that it wasnt a 330/360.

I know the posts were from the Rickenbacker Instagram page. I am fortunate to have a 330 and it certainly is a very fine machine. Here's my 2015 Ric 330. Don't think I could step up and pay what the new Ric bass in that body style will cost - kinda afraid to know, really.

As much as I have lusted over Rics, and as glad as I am to see them try something new, neither of those do much for me.

Don't know about the new models but I've always wanted a six-string Ric 660 -- a black one. It won't happen -- too old and can't afford one.

– Dave_K

Well try the cool Rick 650 -- same wide neck, but cooler maple scene w/ bigger frets and righteous Rickenbuckers. Some around here remember my Rick 650 Frenzy of a few years ago.

One of my favorite DCB frenzies. The red sparkle still hurts me.

Geez, I’d take that bass in a heartbeat. Probably cost $4500-$5000 dollaridoos Down Under.

A 3000 series would’ve been nice, too.

Just seen it on Facebook, World Famous Fuller’s Guitar, limited edition, and you’ve gotta pre-order. $5149 for the 4005XC, $4799 for the 480XC. That’s $6650 in Aussie dollars. Tad steep for me.

– DCBirdMan

Yep, the 480, and the the 481 - which was the slant fret version. They made them in the 70s through the early 80s. I tried out a 480 few years ago at Cream City Music. They had Hi-Gain single coil pickups like my Ric 360s had, and also had odd looking double-coil humbuckers.

Ric 480

Ric 481

They also made the "Bass With the Ric 360 Body" in the past - the Rickenbacker 4005 (I've also seen one of those [that's what happens when you live only 5 miles from a guitar shop that sells a ton of vintage guitars])

Ric 4005

Who'd have ever seen the 480 making a comeback? Maybe cresting wave lover Proteus.

But to bring back the 480 and still never have reissued the beautiful 1950s Capri or F body, which people have been clamoring for, confounds me.

– Afire

When I was active in the Rickenbacker guitar forums (due to being a bit of a Ric 360 nut - I've owned several of them since 1995), people used to ask for the 480 to be reissued all of the time. Frankly I was kind of meh about the two I tried out (one in 1990 at a big guitar store in Minneapolis, and the other one at Cream City Music about 8 years ago) - give me a nice 360 or 330 any day.

so is this the Rickenbacker Pawn Shop series, or the Alternative Universe series? i guess when you're out of product ideas you start mashing up your successful items.

Register Sign in to join the conversation