Other Guitars

Case for B16 Telly wanted

Anyone knows a fitting case for my B16 equipped Thinline? Seems hard to find, standard cases aren‘t deep enough...

Thanks for suggestions!

Can’t help with advice for a case. But ... W O W !

Great looking guitar . How does it sound / play? I’ve got a b-5 but very envious every time I see a Tele with a B16

I am afraid you are going to have to go with a gig bag, in my experience, especially with that style of arm.

I've had difficulty with this as well. I've found a Fender style tweed Tele/Strat case that works for my guitar. But it took me awhile to find one that worked.

Ed, any way to find out make and model of yours? I think a thicker Tele case would be perfect for my ‘63 Corvette with Burns tremolo. The standard ones are just a little to tight. Right now it’s in a Jet case.

Can’t help with advice for a case. But ... W O W !

Great looking guitar . How does it sound / play? I’ve got a b-5 but very envious every time I see a Tele with a B16

– eCastro

Thanks. It sounds paramount and plays like a dream (and it should, it‘s handcrafted with the best parts available), hehe... The whole story:

http://www.gretsch-talk.com...

Thanks guys...the Chet arm‘s got the same height like standard arms since the highest point is the bracket. A jet case may fit with modifications but a rectangular case would be smarter. Strange, Fender CS or MB Tellys with B16 are always in G&G cases, same for Trussart.

@kc_eddie-b: yes, please try and find out which model you‘ve got. And it would be very nice if you could measure how deep that case is on the body side.

How far down can you swing the arm? I thought those would not go all the way to 6 o'clock. If it will, seems like you should be able to find something.

How far down can you swing the arm? I thought those would not go all the way to 6 o'clock. If it will, seems like you should be able to find something.

– spike

The arm isn‘t the problem, the highest part is the bracket.

Ed, any way to find out make and model of yours? I think a thicker Tele case would be perfect for my ‘63 Corvette with Burns tremolo. The standard ones are just a little to tight. Right now it’s in a Jet case.

– NJBob

I am not sure how much difference the Burns tremolo makes, but I have a 70’s rectangular Gretsch hard case presumably for a Baldwin era solid body in which my modern Corvette fits well (also smaller than a Fender case and fit into the overhead cabinet on a plane). You may want to try one. I got mine from alpep at a Philly guitar show.

I took some measurements and pix of my tweed case. Will post later... but no manufacturer marks are visible.

Go custom made? http://www.calton-cases.com/ Pricey though

– LarryR

Pricey and no option I‘m afraid since I‘m located in germany. Too bad, they‘re tempting.

I am not sure how much difference the Burns tremolo makes, but I have a 70’s rectangular Gretsch hard case presumably for a Baldwin era solid body in which my modern Corvette fits well (also smaller than a Fender case and fit into the overhead cabinet on a plane). You may want to try one. I got mine from alpep at a Philly guitar show.

– Baba Joe

I’ll check it out. Do me a favor and measure the inside clearance of your case. I’ll compare to my Tele case.

Roughly 13 x 39 x 3 on the inside and 15 x 40.5 x 4.25 on the outside. It has padding on the inside which nicely accommodates the roughly 2.5 depth of the guitar and Bigsby. I rotated the case with the guitar in it and it didn’t move, yet there’s barely any notice of an imprint. The case is lined with only the finest Gretsch green shag of the period.

Not for sale, but if you want to try your guitar in it, just pm me and we will figure a time.

I found a couple on eBay, Baba Joe. I think I’ll wait for a steal deal. My 6134 was shipped to me in a high end speckle jet case.

I just looked on EBay and don’t blame you. I did much better by Al.

I can't recall for sure... but I'm thinking this Fender-style tweed case was cheapo I got from Musician's Friend catalog. I dunno... but it works great for my Tele with the B16 bigsby.

Total depth is about 4.5 inches.

Here's a shot that reveals how much the handle and bracket stick up above the bottom of the case.

The only issue I had was unless the handle is rotated all the way back, it affects the lid closing.

Luckily the handle swings further than that so it's no issue.

I wish I could be more definitive with the manufacturer or retailer I got it from. Sorry guys. But my Tele is happy!

Thanks, Ed. The dimensions help a lot.

Register Sign in to join the conversation