Other Guitars

came full circle

Well as some know, I went off the vintage Fender scene early this century. For over 20 years, like a lotta guys, it was all about 1950s Telecasters and P Basses, with an occasional Strat along for the ride. No interest in 1960s stuff because of the Toxic Blight of Rosewood Boards. If it's one of those F-word guitars, it's maple neck or go home.

Then I lost interest in all that, discovered Gretsch and the rest is history.

But now that the New Era of Short Scale is my reality, I am thinkin' hard on an old 22.5" scale maple neck Duo Sonic or Musicmaster. Can even be a hacked refin as long as the neck is intact. Naturally it would be refretted with frets that you can actually feel

So I will see what's out there -- at least, they will be 1/3 of what their bigger cousins are priced at.

I haven't looked into it but I wonder what scale the original Fender Bullets were? A friend of mine had an original USA Bullet with two pickups and I was always surprised how much I liked the sound of it. That was a LONG time ago and I was a snob because I had a Strat and a Tele so why would I want a Bullet?? The Bullet had a really nice neck too.

Bullets were ok! I think they might have been 24" scale which is sort of my standard now. Going to look into it.

Well as some know, I went off the vintage Fender scene early this century. For over 20 years, like a lotta guys, it was all about 1950s Telecasters and P Basses, with an occasional Strat along for the ride. No interest in 1960s stuff because of the Toxic Blight of Rosewood Boards. If it's one of those F-word guitars, it's maple neck or go home.

Then I lost interest in all that, discovered Gretsch and the rest is history.

But now that the New Era of Short Scale is my reality, I am thinkin' hard on an old 22.5" scale maple neck Duo Sonic or Musicmaster. Can even be a hacked refin as long as the neck is intact. Naturally it would be refretted with frets that you can actually feel

So I will see what's out there -- at least, they will be 1/3 of what their bigger cousins are priced at.

– DCBirdMan

I'm with you on the maple neck. When I hear Stratocaster or The, that's what I picture: skunk stripe maple! No rosewood here either. Oddly, that doesn't seem to apply to knock off.

i have a 22.5" Duo Sonic parts-o-sonic i got off Reverb which the seller had cobbled together with a Squier Duo Sonic body, a custom pickguard, Duncan Antiquity pickups, and the refinished neck from a Squier Mini Strat which apparently is the correct scale to work with the stock bridge position. mine has a rosewood board, but i'm fairly sure you can get maple-neck ones as well. i don't know if this will work with the new (post-2018) Fender-branded Duos which have a larger bridge plate and load the strings through the back like a Telecaster.

Start saving your pennies. I think I heard that Gibson will be doing a Chuck Berry ES-350T reissue. Might be a little spendy, but it's got the scale you want.

Just checked. They're definitely doing it. It was at NAMM.

I like it...might be up in Byrdland price range tho.

Here's my Squire Duo-Sonic CV. A little plastic-y on the neck,but otherwise pretty close to the originals.

Register Sign in to join the conversation