Other Guitars

Cabronita Thinline with T-90s (finally did it)

I'm finding the T90s do have more midrange than the Classics/Setzers/Fidelitrons... all of them were mid-scooped compared to the T90s... the Filters had more bass, the T90s more mids. So the filters are Bass+highs, the T-90s are mids+highs.

I'm not a fan of the Les Paul body shape. My Grissom pickups (the bridge is 9.0K BTW), are in a PRS SE, and that guitar sounds like the fattest, rockingest LP ever. The classic LP sound. Just not a fan of the guitar... guess I'd need to get a mahogany tele to put them in if I wanted something similar...

And agreed on PRS- I think the Grissom is the one model I'd really like. I certainly love the pickups!

How-do Ruger,

How high are your polescrews? Lowered to be level with the case top makes a P90 a good deal deeper with a softer bloom to the note than when they're up high.

I also wonder if a treble bleed volume pot is entirely desirable in this application- it might be useful to be able to dial the presence of the guitar back with the volume control, especially as an amp has a tendency to accent the higher frequencies when pushed less hard. As has been pointed out, the Telecaster's construction and fabric make a recipe for bright attack in and of itself. I've heard Gibson humbucker-ized Teles that still sound like a Tele.

A Telecaster is the one instrument that really needs the tone control to be utilised to get the best out of it. Rolling it back a bit when accompanying a singer is always smart- spin it back up for fills and solos then back it off to get out of the sibilance space again.

Good luck with the guitar- by your descriptions and the alteration to 250k pots you're doing everything right to get this guitar to sound beefy and solid.

" How high are your polescrews? Lowered to be level with the case top makes a P90 a good deal deeper with a softer bloom to the note than when they're up high."

Hey, that's good to know! They are a GOOD 1/8"- maybe 3/16" above the cover.... perhaps I will try dialing them down... but especially on the bridge, where I want more beef and MIDS.

The neck I may leave the way it is... the increased clarity is welcome, I think....

" How high are your polescrews? Lowered to be level with the case top makes a P90 a good deal deeper with a softer bloom to the note than when they're up high."

Hey, that's good to know! They are a GOOD 1/8"- maybe 3/16" above the cover.... perhaps I will try dialing them down... but especially on the bridge, where I want more beef and MIDS.

The neck I may leave the way it is... the increased clarity is welcome, I think....

– ruger9

This is how I have the Dynasonics set up on my Duo Jet. The bridge pickup is raised and the poles are lower. It enhances the mids. On the neck pickup I have the pickup lower and the poles higher and this adds some clarity.

Well. I lowered the poles as low as I dare... because I don't have the EXACT length screwdriver blade I need, any lower and I risk scratching the case. They are about 50% lower than before... I'd say 3/32" outside the cover. It didn't really make any difference... IDK that another 3/32" would? The case is already as close to the strings as I can get it... to be honest, even if I got the poles flush with the case, I would be able to raise the pickup much... maybe 1/8", if I was lucky...

Well. I lowered the poles as low as I dare... because I don't have the EXACT length screwdriver blade I need, any lower and I risk scratching the case. They are about 50% lower than before... I'd say 3/32" outside the cover. It didn't really make any difference... IDK that another 3/32" would? The case is already as close to the strings as I can get it... to be honest, even if I got the poles flush with the case, I would be able to raise the pickup much... maybe 1/8", if I was lucky...

– ruger9

It was good advice and certainly worth trying but I think you hit the key variables on the head: ash vs. mahogany body, Gibson pups(which for reasons you stated isn't really an option, and a switch to the 250k pots.

From what you have right now, I'm guessing you are around 80% of where you want the tone to be but maybe new pots will get you closer and the tone nob will help even further.

It was good advice and certainly worth trying but I think you hit the key variables on the head: ash vs. mahogany body, Gibson pups(which for reasons you stated isn't really an option, and a switch to the 250k pots.

From what you have right now, I'm guessing you are around 80% of where you want the tone to be but maybe new pots will get you closer and the tone nob will help even further.

– NJDevil

Can't argue with that. An old goldtop Les Paul with P90s it is not, and will not, be. But the T90s do sound great, I do prefer them with 250K pots. I'm looking forward to living with them awhile and learning them over time, see what they can and can't do... they sound very very good.

Good enough that, combined with my learning curve discussed in this thread (body wood, scale length, etc)... I'm done with this one. It's a great sounding, great playing, P90 tele. Really nice. I'll either "marry" it eventually, or I won't... time will tell.... but it's a GREAT guitar. The Fidelitrons were nice too, but I much prefer the T-90s. I can highly recommend to anyone with a Cabronita (or any solidbody routed for Filters) that they give the T-90s a try someday, if they're interested. I think I like them better than all the TVJ pickups I have yet owned (but then, I'm a single coil guy at heart, so...)

Lovin' this thing! A slighty fatter, slightly woolier, tele.

Still getting the hang of the slightly different FEEL between rod magnets (in my tele) and bar magnets (in the T90s)... it's nowhere near as "spongy" as say, a PAF. But it's a little spongier than the Filtertron, which I always found had ZERO "give", it's something I've actually never liked about Filters... the T90s don't have as much give as my overwound tele pickups, but.... not sure.... have to play it awhile and get really familiar before I start judging nuances LOL.

And when I say "give", I'm probably talking about compression.... Filters always feel very "hard" to me, where a PAF is "soft." My tele pickups are in the middle. Right now, I'd place the T90s between filters and my tele pickups, for compression. I think.

An old goldtop Les Paul with P90s it is not

I think you'd be surprized at the treble an old Goldtop puts out. I've played several, and you can imitate a telecaster with them if you want.

An old goldtop Les Paul with P90s it is not

I think you'd be surprized at the treble an old Goldtop puts out. I've played several, and you can imitate a telecaster with them if you want.

– WB

I've been watching videos, and you seem to be right! I've always heard them used in thicker-sounding applications (rock and blues), but... the guitar alone does not a tone make...

Kinda' like alot of the original PAFs were also very clear, and actually not as "muddy" (not muddy at all, actually) as many people think they are today, based mostly on the plethora of non-original-PAFs ..and especially overwound ones...available today.

After reading all this.. the sound youre looking for is this :)

– Dr. Titan McKrakus™ (two thumbs up!)

Probably, but I don't have that kind of coin.

Actually, in the right guitar/hands, a T-Armond does wonders.... very vintage-y, and I dare say, Bigsby-ish... you know who I'm talkin' 'bout, one of our faves...

I used to go watch that guy at Tootsie's Orchid bar in Nashville!

I used to go watch that guy at Tootsie's Orchid bar in Nashville!

– Otter

Chris Casello.... saw him several times at Robert's Western World on my 2 trips there.... never a dull moment!

Ooh it might have been Roberts. First place I ever had sweet potato fries

Tootsie's is the "famous" place, because of the Willie Nelson (and Kristofferson, and Waylon, and others) stories, but TODAY- Robert's is the home of REAL country music; Tootsie's has become more touristy.

Our favorite honky tonks on Lower Broadway were Robert's and The Full Moon Saloon.

Ruger that's an interesting point you make about the "hardness" of Filter'trons. I'm not sure if that's the term I would use but I know what you mean. I seem to gravitate towards gear which is punchy and warm - two things which a lot of players find almost opposites. A lot of my friends who are players seem to prefer less punchiness... Compression drives me crazy on a guitar. I want a guitar to growl if i hit harder and purr if I play more gently. I almost said bark when hit harder but that would be mixing too many metaphors for me.

I like punch and I like clarity on bass strings. That's why I don't usually go for Big Muff style fuzz, because the twang disappears into mush.

Anyway I'm pleased for you that you have got your Tele where you want it. So many factors to play with and sound is a funny thing - our ears can deceive as much as our eyes can. The struggle for the sound in our heads is frustrating but can be fun, especially when you have a win.

Jimmy,

My tele is punch city- with clarity. It's a real growler. They are overwound:
bridge- Rio Grande Muy Grande 8.5K
neck- Fender Texas Special 9.0K (dropped low to retain clarity)

JUST ENOUGH compression to not "feel hard"... Filtertrons always feel hard to play to me- especially on cleaner settings. My tele pickups never feel like that, even when played dead clean. I think pole magnets vs bar magnets has something to do with it (which is why I'm still interested in trying T-Armonds someday). The P90s seem to fall somewhere in the middle... more spongy than my tele pickups, but less spongy than a PAF.

A month down the line, and I'm REALLY liking these pickups. With the volume full up, tone full up (I have a no-load tone pot), they are still a TINY bit bright for me (using 250K pots), however, nothing a small twitch of either the volume or tone knob can't fix.

They clean up so well (altho I do have a treble bleed), that I can get very single-coil-tele like tones with them by simply turning the volume down a little (they are pretty hot/loud pickups; they have a bit more gain and volume than my regular tele with overwound pickups does), then open them up full for more rock tones.

What really surprises me is, thank to both TVJ's design and my treble bleed, when turned down ALOT (like to 3), they sound amazing clean.. beautiful, actually. Did not expect that from a P90. This is still with the amp set for "rock". You lose a little volume, but that works for quieter passages where you'd be turning down anyway.

I have to say, T90s in a Cabronita Thinline are a HUGE success, and I highly recommend the swap to anyone who has been tempted.

All that being said, and even tho I don't GAS to swap these pickups because I'm really loving them, ..... I WILL, in the future, get a set of T-Armonds for this guitar. Just for the experience of trying them. Maybe I'll like them even better than the T90s? Maybe not? Maybe I'll find I love the T-A neck and T90 bridge? We'll see......

Probably, but I don't have that kind of coin.

Actually, in the right guitar/hands, a T-Armond does wonders.... very vintage-y, and I dare say, Bigsby-ish... you know who I'm talkin' 'bout, one of our faves...

– ruger9

neat guitar, dont care for the bridge pickup though, it sounds like an overwound single coil rail pkup to me.

neat guitar, dont care for the bridge pickup though, it sounds like an overwound single coil rail pkup to me.

– Dr. Titan McKrakus™ (two thumbs up!)

Actually, I liked the Skow bridge pickup.... it actually sounds alot like a T-90.

Plus, I've never been after a "traditional" tele bridge sound- too bright and twangy for me. I like a little more beef. Like Casello said "more of a hard-hitting tele".

But the T90 bridge (with 250K pots): full up, it sounds like a Gibson P90 blended with a tele pickup. A "fat tele", if you will. Turn it down some, and it's very tele-ish indeed... plenty of twang! (altho I do have a treble bleed).

Nice axe Ruger ! Great looking combo...

I haven't looked at any specific schematics so I'm curious what's different about a "Treble Bleed" Tone Control compared to a standard one??

Nice axe Ruger ! Great looking combo...

I haven't looked at any specific schematics so I'm curious what's different about a "Treble Bleed" Tone Control compared to a standard one??

– Naquat

A "treble bleed" (which is not actually what it does, lol) is on the VOLUME pot. It's a resistor and a capacitor, that retains high end as you turn the volume down, for better clean tones when using an amp that is breaking up, turning the guitar down for "clean" tones. Seems to be a love or hate thing with people. I love this one, in this guitar, and I love the one on my Hot Rod too.

My TONE control is a no-load, which means when it's on 10, it's out of the circuit, essentially it means when it's on 10 it adds back a touch of high end lost by the tone pot being in the circuit. From 9 down, it functions just like a regular tone pot.

Thanks Ruger, yes I installed the resistor/cap combo on a few of my guitars I thought perhaps it was something different. I also put a .047 cap between the ground and the bridge so I'm not directly connected to ground when I'm touching the strings.

Register Sign in to join the conversation