Other Guitars

BuddyHollywood, question for you

Hi, I'm new here. I understand you have a Strat with a Filtertron in the bridge. How do you like it? I have a Strat style, with a humbucker bridge and single coil neck. Would a Fltertron or something similar, give me a cool, noir type of feel? Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Yes in an experimental moment I wondered what the TV Jones Power'Tron I had would sound like in my Strat instead of the guitar I originally bought it for. It turned out to be even better than I thought it would be. Strats already have that clear and spanky high end. I always felt that most Strat bridge single coil pickups don't have enough midrange power to use them as a rock pickup for me. At the same time most humbuckers, even Shawbuckers to an extent, seem to have too much warmth and not enough of the clarity that I was looking for. The Power'Tron seems to add to what already is there and provide a really good balance between clarity and warmth. It doesn't make the Strat sound like a Gretsch so much as it makes the best frequencies of a Strat come out in the bridge position. I'm sure any variety of Filtertron will provide similar results.

I am very sincere that I think a Filtertron style pickup is the best bridge humbucker for a Strat.

Thank you very much. If I decide to act upon this idea, I'll keep you updated. :)

Man I like that guitar. Everything about it is perfect for my taste. If you're ever tempted to sell it...come to me.

It looks like the string spacing is correct. Is it F Spaced, and if so, is that a TV Jones option? The humbucker, I currently have, is F spaced.

It looks like the string spacing is correct. Is it F Spaced, and if so, is that a TV Jones option? The humbucker, I currently have, is F spaced.

– SouthPhoenixDave

I see on TV Jones' website that there is a section that asks you to enter the type of guitar the pickup is going in. I wonder if Tom and his team use that to decide the pole spacing? I thought there used to be a box to check the string spacing. The few times I've dealt with TV Jones and his company they have always been very helpful. I'm sure if you call or IM them they will be happy to help you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation