Other Guitars

Brian Setzer - Full Concert - 04/19/86 - Capitol Theatre

Setzer on a bunch of different guitars, not the least of which is a Rickenbacker 12 string

Skip ahead to 37:15 to hear Tavo's favorite Setzer tune

I really hate rickenbacker guitars more now

– TheNocturneBrain

Ha!

I really hate rickenbacker guitars more now

– TheNocturneBrain

Don't demonstrate ignorance and intolerance, my friend. You needn't own one; just leaves one more for Bonedaddy and me.

Don't demonstrate ignorance and intolerance, my friend. You needn't own one; just leaves one more for Bonedaddy and me.

– Ric12string

Exactly

Ahhh, you're missing out, Tavo...

Thats like telling me I'm missing the joy of living in the snow in Truckee

– TheNocturneBrain

I can't argue with that. No snow for me thank you.

I must say Brian carried one of the better mullet haircuts back then...

Oh, to be that young, again...I can only assume he made the most of it.

LOL!

I must say, I'm thankful I never had mullet fever back in the 80s. Mullet notwithstanding, I do love the Knife Feels Like Justice era of Setzer.

– TheNocturneBrain

We have to take cheap shots now, do we? I'll take the snow of Truckee over the smog and heat of Riverside any day.

It was mullets all 'round for the Knife Feels Like Justice band, but with quiff's at the front - the qullet? Party at the back, Elvis at the front.

Is that a foto flame finish on the telecaster Brian is playing at the start of the gig? Thank heavens they mixed the drummer down, it sounded like he was playing on the side of a metal tank at the start.

It was an all star line up:

Tommy Byrnes on guitar also played with Billy Joel. Kenny Aaronson on bass (Rolling Stone's bassist of the year 1988) Chuck Leavell on keyboards (Allman Bros, Clapton) I can't pick the drummer. Kenny Aaronson played on the album.

We have to take cheap shots now, do we? I'll take the snow of Truckee over the smog and heat of Riverside any day.

– Ric12string

oh..and lets not forget who was called ignorant? hmmm?

how bout loafers with no sox! tres' horribley

– TheNocturneBrain

Loafers and socks may never meet. True story.

oh..and lets not forget who was called ignorant? hmmm?

– TheNocturneBrain

You weren't called ignorant. You, however, had displayed some ignorance and intolerance, in your disdain for Rickenbacker guitars, and that was duly noted.

This image just can't be published on the internet too much. Lovely photograph.

To go off message for a minute - this video had alongside it a link to another show from the Capitol, featuring the guy who actually got me into rockabilly a couple of years before the Stray Cats released their first album - Robert Gordon, who had probably the best rockabilly voice since Elvis.

By the time of this show (86) he was a bit messed up on drugs; a friend of mine opened for him and tells me of Gordon hitting the crack pipe between songs. But he had some voice.

The Capitol Theater was a great place. Great acts there. Google John Scher. Interesting guy; knew how to get it done.

You weren't called ignorant. You, however, had displayed some ignorance and intolerance, in your disdain for Rickenbacker guitars, and that was duly noted.

– Ric12string

Why is it ignorant? I think they feel horrible and look gaudy, my opinion. Plus I worked briefly under the a-h*le, Steve Smith at Suhr who used to be at Rickenbacker and every time I see a rick, it reminds me of that arrogant sac. ( not speaking of the humble genius,John Suhr of course)

Some dude worked at Rickenbacker and now by proxy Rickenbackers are loathsome because he was an asshat? I don't get that logic. Ah to each their own.

Some dude worked at Rickenbacker and now by proxy Rickenbackers are loathsome because he was an asshat? I don't get that logic. Ah to each their own.

– Bonedaddy

I also dont like Woody Allen movies, after being forced to go camping in the woods as a kid... if that helps. :)

ps. Cool video, loved watching it, thanks for posting...

Register Sign in to join the conversation