Other Guitars

Beyond the “Starfire”…

What other Guild models are favorites?

I've commented a few times about the Guilds occasionally on display here in this section...Even, might have, eluded to some interest from prospective Sellers...

I need a lesson or two about the hollow body electrics...

My friend has a 1950 something Aristocrat. I love that thing!

Here is a picture he sent me of it with the Hollywood sign in the background.

Starfires were the hot lick in 1965-67. WB Walter Broes may be our resident Guild expert.

I'm no expert, I just have Hans Moust's excellent Guild book, and I have a few nice old Guilds. The M75 Aristocrat is a pretty unique one, effectively a mini archtop - Les Paul sized and fully hollow.

I love My X175 Manhattans : 17' full depth hollowbodies. In Gretsch terms they're roughly compare to a Country Club, in Gibson terms it would be sort of an ES350.

Enjoying my A150 Savoy.

I've had a couple of CE-100D models. They are a thinline hollowbody with a Florentine cutaway. One of them came from Billy D. Couldn't get used to the narrowness of the neck near the nut on the models I had.

My favourite Guild was a Starfire III. I should NOT have sold it! Currently I have a Korean X-175B.

I've had a couple of CE-100D models. They are a thinline hollowbody with a Florentine cutaway. One of them came from Billy D. Couldn't get used to the narrowness of the neck near the nut on the models I had.

My favourite Guild was a Starfire III. I should NOT have sold it! Currently I have a Korean X-175B.

– reverb11

Here's the Starfire III mentioned above...

In addition to my Westerly Starfire 5, I have a 1998 X-170 on which a Bigsby has been mounted along with a new bridge. The X-170 is the same profile as the X-175 but is not as deep making it sort of a mid body. Extremely comfortable to play and, with the 10-52 ground round wounds on it, it has the best action of any guitar I own.

Love to have an X-160 Rockabilly again. They sound more like an old Gretsch than an old Gretsch. I know where I can get one but don't have the money. I'd also like to have an old Starfire III like my buddy Hank Maninger has, which is like the one reverb11 posted.

I'm a big fan of the late 90s RI Starfire III. Sure, they have bog standard HBs on them, but they are well made, play great and sound amazing. There is one at Elderly right now for around $1200 I think - great deal.

I would very much like to find an early x-50, with the Franz p/us. Same goes with a vintage M-75 Aristocrat. MD

I have a Westerly Starfire III and a IV. Highly underrated guitars. They play great and are well made.

Here's the III. The III is a '96, the IV a '98.

A mid-60s Starfire III is on my list. Along with a mid-60s Epiphone Century. And a mid-60s Gibson ES 330.

And all in dark wine red!

There's the Polara --- Guild's version of an SG

And don't forget the Thunderbird --- with built in kickstand! Made famous by Zalman Yanovsky of the Lovin' Spoonful.

Gee Billy, with all that has fallen off that over the years, it's probably depreciated to an 80 by now.

My experience with Guild electics is pretty limited, and limited to the modern iterations . I have played one of the early Fender era "Rockabilly" guitars and thought it was okay. It was over-built and a bit heavy in the same fashion as the Pre-Fmic Gretsches were.

I own a NS X-175B, and I really like this guitar! It's nice and light and responsve; it plays like a deam; and the Franz repro pickups sound great! The NS Guilds are still flying under the radar.

Always wanted try one of these Gruhn-designed models...

Register Sign in to join the conversation