Other Guitars

Belated NGD: Guild Nightbird GG

This 1986 Nightbird just got back from the guitar tech who replaced the stock EMGs with a pair of Zhangbucker pickups and associated wiring harness. The mini switch puts the pickups out of phase. I waited a long time to get one of these and am very happy with the guitar. The finish looks a bit maple flamey in the photo, but it's a spruce top. The photo doesn't do the finish justice.

Great guitar.....Congratulations!!!

That's pretty! Congrats!

Calling Bob Howard -- I kinda like it myself. That's a new one to me.

I remember the Nightbirds! I tried one out at the now defunct Mars Music. It was pretty cool guitar, but I couldn't afford it at the time.

I love the shape. They always seem to have humbuckers, so, not for me. Usually chambered, but not always. I sort of think of these as Guild’s answer to the Les Paul and the very hollow Aristocrat (M-75) as their answer to the Duo Jet, but that’s just me.

Congratulations on the new guitar, Caliban335, it looks like a fantastic instrument. I'm not familiar with this one, I'll look it up, but it sure does look sweet. I'm glad you finally located such a fine specimen, after waiting so long.

There's a guy who shows up regularly on the Let's Talk Guild board who has a helpful page devoted to the Nightbird. Go to GAD Nightbird

I believe this is the first Guild that employed the lazy florentine cutaway. The Guild Bluesbird, Bluesbird P-90 and Blues 90 models of the late 1990's and early 2000's had them as well. Here's my 2000 Blues 90.

I just noticed that all three Guilds with “Bird” in the name have that cool, lazy florentine cutaway, the Nightbird, the Bluesbird and my beloved Songbird.

Oh, gosh, I've always admired the Gruhn-designed Nightbird -- congrats and enjoy!

There's a guy who shows up regularly on the Let's Talk Guild board who has a helpful page devoted to the Nightbird. Go to GAD Nightbird

– Caliban335

I just read this essay, Caliban335, and I'm green with envy! These are rare guitars, and are exquisitely built. Thank you for the link to the very informative article, it was very easy to read, and covers all the bases. It just added another "I want one of these" to my ever growing list of top drawer guitars.

Very nice. I didn’t realize that there were so many variations as shown in the article. Congrats.

Register Sign in to join the conversation