Other Guitars

are there any decent quality 24” scale acoustics ?

Digging the 24" scale electric scene. Fewer acoustics of that scale... picked up Mexi-Martin D. Jr. which is decent for a $500 piece but are there any more hi-end models out there.. .a search doesn't turn up much.

I saw the thread title and was about to put the Martin up. I've been searching for a while and haven't found anything. Ideally i'd prefer a classic Gretsch scale of 24.5/6 but those don't exist either. I've tried both a spruce and a Mahogany-whatever-it-is Dread Jr.s and have been impressed with them. I think the Taylors are 23" which is too small to get comfy. I've tried the Gretsch Historics with the 24.75" and was impressed but not as much as with the Martins.

The Martin is decent enough. Not into Taylors on general principle.

Taylor GS mini is an excellent sounding small budget acoustic guitar with a 23.5" scale. Nice to play and cart around. Beats the heck out of similar sized martins for sound. I spent a lot of time comparing before buying.

I had one of these about 10 years ago before they went all glossy and pricey.

It was a nice guitar for practicing around the house but really didn't project that much sound. I sold it after a year or so as I just couldn't deal with the nut width or fingerboard radius.

I'm not normally a Taylor fan but that GS Mini impressed me.

Best bet is to make one. This little 19th century style guitar has a 22 in scale. It turned out well and has a surprisingly powerful voice that will burry the taylor and Martin minis

I'm another with Tox and Dave. Never was much a fan of Taylor but the GS Mini is amazing. I like it better than most Taylors I've tried a 5 times the price.

The acoustic guitar which blew me away with incredible tone was a Santa Cruz O-16 style guitar. It's the shorter scale one - I think it's around 24.6" or so. I was in Rudy's Soho once and tried a heap of ridiculously expensive Santa Cruz, Collings, Froggy Bottom etc guitars, all around the O to OOO size, various scales, various exotic timbers, all the way from the cheapest which was the Santa Cruz in mahogany at around the $4000 mark all the way up to $25000. It wasn't my idea - the guy in the store just kept bringing them for me to try! But still the little Santa Cruz was my favourite.

It was the second or third one in that parlour size I had tried and each time it makes me want to keep playing. All the other builders make incredible, beautiful guitars but the Santa Cruz has a sweet gruffness and personality that I can't get away from. It has a slotted headstock and a 1 3/4" board. When I have tried the next one up which I think is the OO it has the longer scale and all the punch and personality goes away. The shorter scale is a big deal for me. I don't want that Martin jangle, I want a Gretschy/Telecastery crunch! I play with a hybrid picking style a lot - like Scotty Moore - and the little Santa Cruz is perfect. One day...

I can't do Taylors... just something about that scene....

For now this 24" scale D-Junior Mexi Martin burst is ok enough.

What scene? Is there a Taylor scene I don't know about??

I'm another with Tox and Dave. Never was much a fan of Taylor but the GS Mini is amazing. I like it better than most Taylors I've tried a 5 times the price.

The acoustic guitar which blew me away with incredible tone was a Santa Cruz O-16 style guitar. It's the shorter scale one - I think it's around 24.6" or so. I was in Rudy's Soho once and tried a heap of ridiculously expensive Santa Cruz, Collings, Froggy Bottom etc guitars, all around the O to OOO size, various scales, various exotic timbers, all the way from the cheapest which was the Santa Cruz in mahogany at around the $4000 mark all the way up to $25000. It wasn't my idea - the guy in the store just kept bringing them for me to try! But still the little Santa Cruz was my favourite.

It was the second or third one in that parlour size I had tried and each time it makes me want to keep playing. All the other builders make incredible, beautiful guitars but the Santa Cruz has a sweet gruffness and personality that I can't get away from. It has a slotted headstock and a 1 3/4" board. When I have tried the next one up which I think is the OO it has the longer scale and all the punch and personality goes away. The shorter scale is a big deal for me. I don't want that Martin jangle, I want a Gretschy/Telecastery crunch! I play with a hybrid picking style a lot - like Scotty Moore - and the little Santa Cruz is perfect. One day...

– JimmyR

I used to work at Rudy's before building guitars at SCGC so your post is right up my alley! The company also offers two ridiculously great 24" scale models: the Firefly and the PJ. The Firefly is pretty popular but the PJ is like the best kept secret. We only made one or two a year (out of around 500 guitars) so they're kinda hard to find. Rudy may still have a custom Brazilian back/sides PJ he bought a couple years ago. There's so much sound coming out of those little bodies... crazy!

So you work(ed) at Santa Cruz? I am a huge fan of Santa Cruz guitars in general but particularly the shorter scale guitars. What is it that makes them sound so different? I mean when comparing virtually identical Collings and Santa Cruz models I find the Santa Cruz have some character and personality which the otherwise outstanding Collings can't match. The Collings guitars are perfect and produce everything you could ever expect from a great guitar but the Santa Cruz (IME) have something which just speaks to me. And some of the Froggy Bottom guitars were more like foggy bottom to me - they lacked the precise definition of the other two.

I found the same thing when I compared Coliings and Santa Cruz 000s at Mandolin Bros years ago. All I need now is to be able to afford one! It will happen I guess...

Yes I was a guitar builder there for 8+ years. The SCGC 'personality' if you will isn't the result of any one thing. It's the cumulative result of the thousands of small decisions that go into the build process and the excruciatingly high bar set at every turn. Every brand has its own unique philosophy when it comes to this. There's an incredible amount of knowledge and heart that goes into every Santa Cruz guitar. When you consider there are 16 or so builders at SCGC compared to the 2-3 at Froggy or 100+ at Collings and their respective annual production numbers... it's really apples and oranges. I have the utmost respect for those brands but all three approach the business differently therefore each brand has its own vibe.

Thanks Boss that explains a lot. I didn't realise the companies were so different in size - I guess if you only ever see the product why would you?

I also think we can answer the OP - yes, there are indeed some great guitars in the 24" scale! Just check out Santa Cruz. The best sounding acoustic guitars i have ever played.

Haven't played one of these, but might fit the bill?

https://bourgeoisguitars.ne...

EDIT: Looks like the standard scale on those might actually be 25"...

I have a Bourgeois D18 with a torrefied top, and I've sold all my other acoustics since getting it. Their stuff is on a completely different level from most everything else I've played. Flawlessly made, and with a voicing I prefer to, for example, Collings - the high end is sweeter and stronger. Less brashness. Small company as well... 13 people or something?

Gorgeous stuff. Nicely pricey too!

Gorgeous stuff. Nicely pricey too!

– Proteus

It costs a lot to build guitars of this quality in the good ol' U S of A.

Oh, I get it. Just prices it out of my consideration.

My acoustic playing probably doesn't deserve that much instrument anyway.

I gotta say, the best thing I ever did for my guitar playing (electric or otherwise) was landing the job setting up guitars at SCGC. It opened my eyes to what pick attack/tone production is all about when it's just you and the guitar... no amps, effects, or Bigsby to hide behind. Probably one of the reasons I favor my ES-150 over my DSW these days.

Consider me a Collings guy, and they will definitely have models with shorter scale. However, when you get into that Collings/Bourgeois/SCGC scene, it’s really a matter of personal preference. All excellent builders with their own takes on classic designs. Your best bet is to get to one of the bigger boutique shops (there’s one outside of Boston that I absolutely love) and try them out.

The thing which really impresses me about Collings is the perfection of everything. I thought I had seen perfection on some martins - nope. Have a close look at a Collings guitar sometime - I've never seen a more beautifully made nut, for example.

I completely agree with Jalexander - once you get into this rather heady world of guitars it becomes purely personal preference as to which is better. We all have ideas on how things should be, some more strongly held than others. I know I have strong opinions on how I like a guitar to sound which can be very different to others.

I could get used to the sound of a MacPherson acoustic in time but I'd have to also get used to their appearance first! They do sound remarkable though so it would be a good idea to get used to how they look.

In the meantime I love my electrics too much to devote the energy to a great acoustic.

Register Sign in to join the conversation