Other Guitars

Anyone selling a Byrdland copy?

I've always been intrigued by the idea of a shortt scale full sized archtop (albeit thinline) and I was wondering if anyone knew of anybody selling an accurate Brydland copy (I really like the Byrdland shape and the short scale neck..or even a full sized gibson shaped archtop with a short scale Must have a rounded Venetian cutaway and preferably natural unless it's a refinsh prioject. I have no problem with something that is a serious project and would actually prefer that. Like: Ibanez 2464 Epiphone Elitist Byrdland May or Greco or Carlos Robelli or similar older is better! Thanks

So you mean you want the 23.5" scale. I am pretty sure the Ibanez 2464 is normal scale and was just a lookalike body, and not the shorter scale.. Best best is an Epi Elitist ..hard to find now but magnficent build.. but always over $2000. Also there's a nut you can get with minutely wider spacing which helps.

Your right The Ibanez is 24 5/8" which would actually be fine too. It seems most 17" archtops are all long (25.5")scale , which I can handle but I don't have the biggest hands and normal and or short scale always feels so easy not to mention the slightly softer tension. And those are fine looking guitars I was looking extensively the last couple days and it seems every on online is sold and none for sale!!

Toxo, I may have a line on one for you. What are you willing to pay, Case included. A friend has one.

Toxo, I may have a line on one for you. What are you willing to pay, Case included. A friend has one.

– ThePolecats

Which version is it? Epihone? Ibanez?

Feel free to PM with information if you'd prefer

Might save me from contemplating insanely putting a short scale neck on my already re-necked Electro 2...I was eyeing the corsair neck I had (part of a project) with crazed fantasies before I checked it and realized it's long scale too!

Which version is it? Epihone? Ibanez?

Feel free to PM with information if you'd prefer

Might save me from contemplating insanely putting a short scale neck on my already re-necked Electro 2...I was eyeing the corsair neck I had (part of a project) with crazed fantasies before I checked it and realized it's long scale too!

– Toxophilite

Hi I work all night so when I get to work I’ll PM you in about two hours. Should you be asleep like any sane person just reply in the morning.

Heeeyyy , I resent that you're implying that I'm 'any sane person"!

Seriously though I look forward to hearing about it and thanks

I'll probably sell my mid sixties restored caddy green country club to help reimburse myself if I purchase something..speaking of sanity or lack thereof

Heeeyyy , I resent that you're implying that I'm 'any sane person"!

Seriously though I look forward to hearing about it and thanks

I'll probably sell my mid sixties restored caddy green country club to help reimburse myself if I purchase something..speaking of sanity or lack thereof

– Toxophilite

LOL anyone working all night like I am must be insane too! Okay I will PM you now.

Hey!!!! Get off my cloud!!! I’ve been looking for a byrdland copy too!! If it’s an epiphone I’ll take it when u r done. In the meantime if u don’t mind the 24,5 scale have a look at these. Probably not great out of the box but u have the skills to make it much better and the price is right https://www.ebay.ca/itm/123...

Bahaha You can have all the Florentine cutaway ones..I think that's fair. I'm purely Venetian.

If you are OK with a medium scale (24 3/4") then what you need to try is a Guild X-170. These were made in Westerly, Rhode Island and are really great guitars. They are hollow but have a tone block underneath the bridge that helps with feedback. They are a little deeper than say a thinline 335 as they are 2 1/2" at the edge. There are two on eBay right now, one for $1200 and one for $1300. Here is a picture of mine, I added the Bigsby.

You can have all the Florentine cutaway ones..I think that's fair. I'm purely Venetian.

Me too, Tox. I wonder what’s in the water in Florence that so skewed their aesthetic taste.

A few Florenated guitars have cut their way into my stable (see what I did there), because a guy can’t not have some sort of 175 and Les (or Less) Paul - but I keep it at a minimum.

That guild looks lovely but a couple things make it not for me. The block under the bridge isn't for me (I like my archtops to be true hollowbodies) that, and I'm a little stuck on the Gibson body shape, so round and pillowy!

Proteus - I had a Yamaha 69 AE-11, essentially a species of ES-175, and despite it being a high end, amazing playing ply archtop I sold it because I couldn't get into the florentine look. It's hard being shallow and overly attached to aesthetics but one has to accept what one is. No Les Pauls either, too small and hard!

although you'd have to pry my elitist byrdland from my cold, dead penis, i'd be happy to answer some questions if anyone has one.

though i must ask, what would possess you to want such a specific guitar. it is a lot to pay for something that literally nothing else does. there isn't much to prepare you for the experience, and i find a lot of people complain bitterly about them (inexplicably). there is also a skinny nut bias formed by people who've only played those 60s or 70s ones which sell the experience short.

and, like most elitists, it was made in the same plants by the same fine folks that make the proline gretsches, so that's the level of quality you can expect (though i swapped the pickups, harness and bridge, because that's what i do).

The Kingsnake guitars seem very cool. Never seen/heard of them before. The "Three Bone" is screaming my name...

They do look interesting: great overall spec and Terada built. The 3-bone is especially appealing as un upgrade from my Carlo Robelli version.

But the closer you look at detail pics of the King Snakes, the worse the finishes look. They don't look like vintage, aged or otherwise. They just look badly finished. And I'm not complaining that they're not shiny, or that finish sinks into the grain - just that the unbuffed "thin skin" blah-blah looks supremely amateurish. Like barely sanded, rattlecan in the basement, spits and squirts and raised grain, some parts shinier/thicker than others. For that money, I'd at least expect a smooth and even matte unpolished thin skin...

Also, there appears nothing in the line that makes Tox's dreams of a short-scaler come true; if I read the specs aright, they're all 25.5" scale.

You can have all the Florentine cutaway ones..I think that's fair. I'm purely Venetian.

Me too, Tox. I wonder what’s in the water in Florence that so skewed their aesthetic taste.

A few Florenated guitars have cut their way into my stable (see what I did there), because a guy can’t not have some sort of 175 and Les (or Less) Paul - but I keep it at a minimum.

– Proteus

I too prefer Venetian, but there are Florentine exceptions.

Another excellent reason to dislike florentine cutaways!

Well now I'm torn between two good guys. Tox and I agree about Florenation, but (apparently) not music. Bob and I agree about music, and that Steve Howe is a reason for Florentine Exceptions.

Man. What's a fella who doesn't like confrontation to do?

Embrace the sharp cutaway Tim. Even Barney knew it was hip.

Well now I'm torn between two good guys. Tox and I agree about Florenation, but (apparently) not music. Bob and I agree about music, and that Steve Howe is a reason for Florentine Exceptions.

Man. What's a fella who doesn't like confrontation to do?

– Proteus

The music’s the thing. Meanwhile, feel free to hate the rest of the Flors.

I like florentines and agree with Walter. Have always thought the Barney Kessel model was great looking since first seeing one. Same thing goes for Johnny A models.

Well, I like the sound of the Venetian better. You can really hear the difference

That might be one of the few pictures of Barney Kessel playing his endorsed model. He had a Kay endorsement too. It is a cool guitar.

Trying not to get into Nugent as he is definitely a controversial figure who I cannot endorse in any way though i did like cat scratch fever when I was 11. I had to edit a picture out of my original post as I realized it would start a fire fight.

He has nothing to do with why I would like a Byrdland though I know he played them.

I just like the idea of a blonde solid top short scale archtop with a venetian cutaway. In this instance for me the guitar is the thing, not the music others produce on it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation