Other Guitars

Anybody else enjoy cheap XGP bodies from Guitarfetish?

Baba Joe and drmilktruck: do you have any pics of these creations? I’m sure I saw the Bear Jazzmaster, but it’s been some years.

– Troy6120

Bear raffled it off. NJBob won it and then raffled it off for a donation to the GDP at an NJ Roundup. I won the bid.

Drmilktruck, is that first GFS Tele you posted painted in GFS “Aztec Gold”? They all look great. I’d like to know how you like the Xavier necks (I haven’t used one yet). I like those block inlays.

Bob Howard, yours look great, also. I’m pretty impressed with Paulownia as a body wood, myself. It makes for a good “all-nighter” guitar.

Baba Joe, that is one sweet sucker! Great backstory with it, as well.

Had Bear actually constructed the guitar himself? Seeing the guitar, it does ring a bell.

Troy, I don’t think that Bear built it. They are listed on Guitarfetish Xaviere’s site in various colors for $239 and worth it.

Drmilktruck, is that first GFS Tele you posted painted in GFS “Aztec Gold”? They all look great. I’d like to know how you like the Xavier necks (I haven’t used one yet). I like those block inlays.

Bob Howard, yours look great, also. I’m pretty impressed with Paulownia as a body wood, myself. It makes for a good “all-nighter” guitar.

– Troy6120

It’s ReRanch Copper.

The fretboard inlays are actually all stickers.

The necks are thinner than I like personally but not too thin, so they work for me.

That guitar consists of a XGP blem/ clearance body on sale for $42. The neck was given to me by a friend that hated it (his name is Todd and he’s a professor, hence the headstock logo). I put this guitar together with the goal of using up a bunch of spare parts I had sitting around.

Bridge And bridge pickup came out of a ‘90’s American tele. Neck pickup is a $12 bargain I bought from Fleor, and it’s the best Tele neck pickup I’ve ever had. Sounds akin to a Strat neck pickup. Clear and fat, and makes the middle switch setting really satisfying, too. Electronics are new, quality stuff (Switchcraft, CTS, etc).

Tuners are from a Mexican Strat. The body is pawlonia wood, and it’s SO light. Electrosocket output jack. I bought the string ferrules from GFS. Pickguard is one a friend gave me because it was warped (I straightened it in the oven on a cookie sheet). Then I made a bone nut for it.

– Troy6120

Wow, $42 for a bound body? That's a steal! Always fun to build something low(ish) budget that works. Cool to see the fixes you had to do to make it work. Thanks for showing!

i'm going to get one of their Strat bodies with--get this--a tortoiseshell top. planning to get a bound Strat neck, paint it black to match the back of the body, and do a tortoiseshell overlay (perhaps bound) on the headstock. the much-maligned Gretsch Committee gave me the idea to use transparent grey for the pickguard and tremolo cover. gold hardware, locking tuners.

Wow, $42 for a bound body? That's a steal! Always fun to build something low(ish) budget that works. Cool to see the fixes you had to do to make it work. Thanks for showing!

– Mike2000

These are even better: Tele and Strat bodies with set necks already glued in for less than $100!

https://www.guitarfetish.co...

The Tele is bound too! I'm working on two of them now.

https://www.guitarfetish.co...

that set-neck black Strat with the swimming-pool rout and matching headstock is putting the hurt on me in a big way. one of the things i try to do with projects is to use different pickups than the guitars i already have, and a sub-$100 Strat platform is about the easiest way possible to do that. it would be perfect for, say, Burns Tri-Sonics.

Register Sign in to join the conversation