Other Guitars

Any Intel on this Gibson Special model?

I think these are a 2018 limited release, but am looking for someone with more Gibson awareness than I to confirm. Anyone have any insight into this particular version of the classic LP Special model?

Interesting choice for logo style.

Can't help, but I think it's a little strange looking - odd that Gibson changed the body shape on LP specials..?

Pretty nice... in 2011 they made a Pel Blue double cut LP bass I am looking for ... can't find a single one!

Can't help, but I think it's a little strange looking - odd that Gibson changed the body shape on LP specials..?

– WB

Agreed, but I believe this gives the neck join a little more meat....always a concern of mine on double cut specials. The neck pickup rout makes them a bit vulnerable there. I'm a traditionalist, but I see the merit here.

They still have the "correct" shape on the expensive Historic (or whatever they call it now) models. IMO, the weird cutaway shape, little pickguard and pre-war logos are all their way of ensuring that nobody who cares about such things will pay a reasonable price and convince themselves that they got what they wanted. They are all reminders to their owners that they don't own the "better" version. Sure, when you buy a vintage-inspired MIM or even Squier Strat, you know you aren't getting Custom Shop attention to detail, but at least they don't go out of their way to deliberately get it wrong. Total dick move, IMO. Hopefully with Henry's departure, mind games like this will end.

– WB

Wow, yes.. Almost like a small, non hollow, 335.... Weird!

Still I find this quite odd. I had one these back about 08 maybe 09 but in TV white although the horns look a lil bit different. A bit more spread out.

Its just their modern version of the special, no robot BS or PCB's for the pickups, really nice axe actually if you can get past the updated body shape. I think the price is a little stiff for what it is, but its a pretty self explanatory axe, no hidden treasures with this one. You thinking about getting one?

The only thing I'd be weary of is the 60s slim taper neck, I had the 2018 Goldtop with that neck and I found it unbearably slim for me, like the slimmest of any guitar ive ever owned. But great if you like real skinny necks! It's like a flat D

They still have the "correct" shape on the expensive Historic (or whatever they call it now) models. IMO, the weird cutaway shape, little pickguard and pre-war logos are all their way of ensuring that nobody who cares about such things will pay a reasonable price and convince themselves that they got what they wanted. They are all reminders to their owners that they don't own the "better" version. Sure, when you buy a vintage-inspired MIM or even Squier Strat, you know you aren't getting Custom Shop attention to detail, but at least they don't go out of their way to deliberately get it wrong. Total dick move, IMO. Hopefully with Henry's departure, mind games like this will end.

– Afire

Isn't this like Gretsch and their Electromatics?

It might be a great sounding guitar, but I'd never be able to get past the appearance.

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

Exactly. And this isn't "lesser" as they're still all USA made. Is my 53 reissue jet lesser than a CS model because its made in Japan and probably not 100% vintage correct? I don't think so, I'm more than happy with it.

I like the design, but at $1500 retail price, um...I think I'd go with a Gretsch Jet...

So at $1100 (shipped)... would that make the inaccuracies to vintage spec less offensive? I think it does for me. Or maybe I'm just bored.

I guess kind of. But not really. If this was an Epiphone, I wouldn't take issue with it. For a $250-$500 guitar offshored to China or Indonesia, by all means take your liberties. But to make changes to a fairly expensive US-made guitar that nobody was asking for to steer those with the coin towards the Custom/Historic version is a little insulting to the customer, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to see it that way. But that has been the Gibson way for a while now.

The Gretsch equivalent would be if they deliberately made proline Jets a little wonky and kept the Custom Shop ones the same so that the vintage-minded buyer would only be satisfied with Custom Shop. Gretsch could do that, but they won't.

So at $1100 (shipped)... would that make the inaccuracies to vintage spec less offensive? I think it does for me. Or maybe I'm just bored.

– kc_eddie_b

I don't blame you. That seems like a lot of guitar for the money. And I don't even particularly dislike the tweaks. I just dislike what I suspect is the reasoning behind them.

I suspect it's because the double cuts basically routed the tenon in half on '59s:

To fix it, they moved the pickup out of the sweet spot on the '60s:

This new one solves the problem. I suspect THATS why they did it.

Seems more than plausible Jonathan. Thanks!

I suspect it's because the double cuts basically routed the tenon in half on '59s:

To fix it, they moved the pickup out of the sweet spot on the '60s:

This new one solves the problem. I suspect THATS why they did it.

You're a trusting and generous soul. To the extent that this 59 year old problem was solved 58 years ago, I still think that the reason for altering the LP Special body shape in 2018 lies in marketing concerns, not structural integrity. And I'd bet my paycheck that the post-Henry management will pay attention to things like this, follow Fender's lead and stop flicking their customers' foreheads like a bunch of dicks.

It's different. Henry is different. I hate them both. For being different.

The upper horn and inward strap holder looks so odd.

Here you can see a straight shot. I do not care for the "looks," but it probably sounds fine. It needs "dog" ears!

The bottom left of the pickguard (guitar standing upwards) as it goes along the bridge pickup is odd as well. The spacing to the left of the screw, it looks unfinished.

...------

https://www.zzounds.com/ite...

Register Sign in to join the conversation