Other Guitars

Any case experts here?

I treated myself to a 1960 6131 and the "original case" it supposedly came with wasn't original. Instead it came with a vintage case that I was hoping would turn out to be a '50s LP case and worth more than the guitar that was in it but, alas, it's too big for an LP. I was originally sure it was a LIfton but research showed Geib also made cases with the same covering. Pic show it's too wide for an LP and the waist isn't in the right place for an SG. Funny enough it fits the 6131 the best.

Anyone have any clue?

The cases for these Les Paul Recording Models were always the best fit for an original Gretsch Jet. I still use one for my 1955 Silver Jet.

The cases for these Les Paul Recording Models were always the best fit for an original Gretsch Jet. I still use one for my 1955 Silver Jet.

– Billy Zoom

Hey Billy does yours have the same covering? I had assumed that particular fake leather was gone by the 70's but what do I know. Thanks for bringing that up, though. I had forgotten about all those weird 70's Gibsons - L-5S, L-6S, etc - when trying to figure out what it could be for. I was thinking maybe the Guild Duo-Jet like hollow/solid body that was the same shape as the Bluesbird - M-50? M-75?

I was hoping the red interior may clue someone in. I think Gibson used the pink/gold/brown plush and not red but again what do I know.

To be fair, "original case" could be anything. A case didn't automatically come with a Gretsch guitar, so the original case was whatever the original buyer chose. I had a '56 6120 with its original case, which was a generic alligator grain chipboard case, verified by the original receipt. I guess the original buyer didn't want to shell out another $55 for a Gretsch hardshell case, so opted for something cheaper.

To be fair, "original case" could be anything. A case didn't automatically come with a Gretsch guitar, so the original case was whatever the original buyer chose. I had a '56 6120 with its original case, which was a generic alligator grain chipboard case, verified by the original receipt. I guess the original buyer didn't want to shell out another $55 for a Gretsch hardshell case, so opted for something cheaper.

– Afire

Yes Hand Banana , you're correct, but I'd think you'd agree that when a vintage Gretsch guitar is being presented as coming with the original case by a chain store (GC, and we're all aware of how little they know about what they're selling so I guess I shouldn't be surprised), one would expect it to come with a GRETSCH case. There's no way for them, or me, to know if this is the original case in that came with the guitar in 1960. But I knew well ahead of purchase that this was the case it was gonna come with, I was sent photos and checked it out in person prior to purchase. I'm not complaining at all, only trying to figure out what it is to see if it has any resale value. If it's only worth a few hundred I'll keep it as the case for my 6131. If it's supposed to contain one of those big money Gibsons and I can sell it for $1k or up I'd do that and hunt for a vintage Gretsch Jet case to replace it.

BTW, although the guitar came with the stop "G" tailpiece, the case shows evidence of holding a Bigsby equipped guitar for quite a while - you can see the wear at where the arm pivot would be and a shadow on the lining where the arm would be. Unless there's Bigsby mounting holes under the stop tailpiece, and I'm gonna put a Bigsby on it anyway so that would be cool with me, I'd assume the guitar and case met later their lives.

Hey 66gent... you've showed us the mystery case, and have also shared photos of two Les Paul guitars. How about a photo of the new (old) 6131?

Hey 66gent... you've showed us the mystery case, and have also shared photos of two Les Paul guitars. How about a photo of the new (old) 6131?

– kc_eddie_b

Yeah Ed here you go. Gonna add it to the database too, only haven’t because, honestly, there’s nowhere in the house that’s clean enough right now for a proper photo session.

BTW, were you working on a Bigsby reference book or did I dream that? I’d love to have a Bigsby dating guideline.

Oh, and s/n 38669 for your research if you want it. I also hope you’re working on a 60’s book LOL.

Check out RighteouSouls inspirational apparel online store for the most motivational clothing line. Buy heavily meditated shirt, positive and empowerment clothing from our uplifting apparel

Register Sign in to join the conversation