Other Guitars

Another unfairly pigeonholed guitar

Hmmm. Then aren't 'cha' on the wrong website? Gotta' ask.

– Windsordave

Maybe you missed the title of this section - It's called "OTHER GUITARS"...

Love Rics. The only ones I DON'T like aesthetically are the 660s. Toasters sound great. Hi-Gains too. My favorite Ric (never owned one) that I've played was a 381/6v69 at CME. Gorgeous with its German carve and fancy back binding. And very versatile tonally, while always having its own certain character across the board.

Agree with WB about the 50s models. Wish they would reissue the 330f, with its dot inlays. Maybe do a Rose Morris version with a trad f-hole and a bigsby. But I would love to have this one as-is:

This 325 is a powerhouse. As for the skinny neck, it wasn't an issue for JL as his mother, Julia, originally taught him banjo so not hard for him to transition - that's always been my theory anyway.

One of my old band mates used to play I believe a 360 through a Marshall JCM 800 and his overdriven tone was unbelievably good. He changed my perspective immediately on what Rickenbacker guitars are capable of.

As far as the looks of the guitar, I tend to agree with Proteus on most of them however certain players can wear them well and look fab doing it. I don't know if I'm one of those or not because I've never seen myself with one. I also agree Rickenbacker basses are the best looking guitars they make.

Well y’know. The bottom line on any guitar is ultimately what comes out of it, not how it looks. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a recorded Ric tone I DIDN’T like. There’s a range of useful textures for sure, and I have no question about the fascination of overdriven tones from lower-output pickups. Fabulous tones available there.

To get granular about my personal taste within the Ric design universe, I quite like the 330f pictured above. Beautiful, graceful instrument. But saying “Rics of the 50s are the most beautiful guitars ever” seems a bit broad. If they were all that shape, ok. You can’t go all superlative about it, as others made/make equally nicely proportioned and attractive instruments, but it’s as nice as any. Did all 50s Rics look like that? (I haven’t made a study of it.)

Of what’s available now (presumably a reissued overview of the glory days), I find the 325 and 360 generally unobjectionable. (And I have a 360.) I don’t think they’re as gracefully proportioned as they could be (mostly the cutaway profiles), but I accept their shapes neutrally.

I’ve said I actively like the bass, and find the 620/60 painfully beautiful.

I guess it’s the 330 that most annoys me. I’m never fond of two sharp cutaways, and the 330 finds a way to make that combination even worse. If I somehow discovered a 330 made a sound I couldn’t do without, and nothing else would make it, I guess the shape wouldn’t stop me. But it’s a helluva liability for it to overcome.

[S]aying “Rics of the 50s are the most beautiful guitars ever” seems a bit broad. If they were all that shape, ok. You can’t go all superlative about it, as others made/make equally nicely proportioned and attractive instruments, but it’s as nice as any. Did all 50s Rics look like that?

Walter's statement made perfect sense to me because literally every late 50s Rickenbacker design (I am presuming this era is what Walter is referring to) has never been made since circa 1961--the only exception I'm aware of is Lennon's 325. And to me they are all aesthetically beautiful, much better than anything Rickenbacker does, say, now.

Here is a real lousy photo from a late 50s NAMM show probably. None of those guitars designs have been seen since that time. (Lennon's 325 is supposedly the one in the bottom left corner by the way.)

I gigged with my 1962 365 (avatar photo). It can do anything although when playing soul I do prefer a Telecaster.

I don't like the Rickenbacker 600 series or anything with a rounded top front edge like the modern 360 series--totally personal preference though. They are no doubt great guitars.

I can't help but think the Rickenbacker "pidgeonholing" is because of the 12 string, which is more a one trick pony. I don't feel that way at all about 6 string Rickenbackers.

Here's another tried and true way to demonstrate the sonic potential of a Rickenbacker, and a 50s one to boot:

I bought this one used from a GDP member sight unseen and having never tried a Rickenbacker before. Talk about a gamble!

But it has turned out to be a nice, unique little guitar in my very small collection. While the feel of the neck can be a challenge, I love the tone and workmanship and finish is spectacular. It's not my jack-of -all trades, GO-TO guitar though.

Needless to say...I'm a fan.

I'll join the '50s Rickenbacker bandwagon. To me, they are the most beautiful guitars ever made. And I also don't get why there's never been a reissue. John Hall has gone on record saying that it would be a massive undertaking and not worth the effort. Which seems odd to me. They already make all of the necessary hardware, and you wouldn't think that programming the CNC machines to make a slightly different body shape would be that big of a deal, but that's what he says. I went so far as to commission a custom build of a late '60s 365, but that was 7 1/2 years ago and I'm still waiting on a guitar or a refund.

A little eye candy...

Wow! What beautiful guitars! I ‘m a 6 string Ric fan. A Ric and Gretsch in the same band blend so good together.

I love the pointy horned 300 series myself,and if they're double bound, then all the better!

Would love to have a 381V69 in Fireglo ,but they're just out of my budget nowadays ,sadly.

I've been playing my 360/12V64 for 29 years,and it hasn't spent a lot of time in it's case in all those years. Picked up a used 6 string version about 12 years ago,and i had a 360F commissioned several years ago ,why?,Well,cause i will never be able to afford an original and even if hell froze over and Rickenbacker decided to reissue it ,even for a limited run ,i would never be able to afford it.

Still would love to get a 1997 and those 1993 Plus 12 's are gorgeous,to my eye anyway.

I had a brand new 650D Dakota that I did not get along with. The neck seemed almost purposefully slow and uncomfortable and the pickups were toneless to my ears. I bought the guitar knowing I wasn't going to hear any chime out of it, but it was possibly the worst match for my style of playing. I gave it a few months before I committed to a decision on keeping it, but it went on the 'bay. At least I sold it for more than I paid for it. I have never given the other models a chance - not yet.

This is a financially dangerous thread for me to keep checking in on. Gotta...stop...looking.

Unknown Hinson tearin' it up with a Ric.

– Ger (aka Ratrod)

I was hoping some one would mention Unknown Hinson. I've been a Rick slinger since 2009. And if I ever bought another electric 6, very likely it would be a 360. I'd rather have another Ric than a Telecaster. (Oh, the blasphemy!)

And if you can't afford a Ric 325JL off the rack...

Having never so much as held a Roc I was puzzled by the comments made in the original post of the 335 having a "big, juicy neck" followed up with "the neck is small"

Twelve strings were the only rics of interest to me primarily because of Harrison and McGuinn. Don’t know why but never gave any thought to a ric six string. Even Lennon’s didn’t do it for me. Now, because of this thread, I must say that my interest is piqued in the six strings. Great thread!

Not the '50s Capri I've always dreamed of, but probably the nicest Rickenbacker I've ever owned, a Rose Morris 1998 from January, 1964, the first batch of guitars ordered for UK distribution. Bought from a widow of a player in Ireland (not taken advantage of, a local dealer who understood the value brokered the sale) along with his '64 AC30. They both saw some use, but were extremely well maintained, not so much as a ding on either. The guitar only stayed with me for a couple of years, but the AC30 has been my main or only amp for 13 years.

As far as Capris go, I got close once, and it's an odd story. When I was 14 years old and already a pretty hardcore vintage guitar enthusiast, a friend of mine who I had badgered into learning guitar so I could form a band wound up buying a 1959 blonde Capri 365 from another kid he played hockey with (at the time I was a little dumbfounded, but certainly didn't fully appreciate how unlikely that was). I was insanely jealous, but the guitar was barely playable due to a bowed neck. As a successful busboy at the prestigious Bonanza steakhouse, I could swing well over $150 if need be and I made it clear to him that I would love to buy it. Unbeknownst to me, he took it to a local shop to try to get the neck fixed. They told him that it was a lost cause, but they'd "do him the favor" of giving him the $150 he paid for it and take it off his hands. When I found out, I was crestfallen. Sure enough, a few weeks later, it was hanging on the shop wall with a $2000 price tag (probably about right in 1989, maybe on the low side) and it played beautifuly. Neither of us knew enough to raise hell (and we both had the kind of parents who would have started WWIII over something like this). Of course, I was upset about missing out on a chance of a lifetime, stewing over the loss of something that was never mine to begin with, but it was obviously my friend that actually got screwed over. But it still bugs me to this day.

A two-pickup double bound Rose Morris with dot inlays is among my dream guitars. Townshend just might have something to do with it...somehow...

I love the pointy horned 300 series myself,and if they're double bound, then all the better!

Would love to have a 381V69 in Fireglo ,but they're just out of my budget nowadays ,sadly.

I've been playing my 360/12V64 for 29 years,and it hasn't spent a lot of time in it's case in all those years. Picked up a used 6 string version about 12 years ago,and i had a 360F commissioned several years ago ,why?,Well,cause i will never be able to afford an original and even if hell froze over and Rickenbacker decided to reissue it ,even for a limited run ,i would never be able to afford it.

Still would love to get a 1997 and those 1993 Plus 12 's are gorgeous,to my eye anyway.

– JCHiggy

From whom did you commission the 360f?

i was cynical about Rickenbackers for a long time, largely because the 12-string Ric sound seems so limited to me. i wound up buying a 360 because Peter Buck of R.E.M. and (especially) Neil Halstead of Slowdive played them, and it's much more versatile than i expected. sounds great with fuzz.

Not the '50s Capri I've always dreamed of, but probably the nicest Rickenbacker I've ever owned, a Rose Morris 1998 from January, 1964, the first batch of guitars ordered for UK distribution. Bought from a widow of a player in Ireland (not taken advantage of, a local dealer who understood the value brokered the sale) along with his '64 AC30. They both saw some use, but were extremely well maintained, not so much as a ding on either. The guitar only stayed with me for a couple of years, but the AC30 has been my main or only amp for 13 years.

As far as Capris go, I got close once, and it's an odd story. When I was 14 years old and already a pretty hardcore vintage guitar enthusiast, a friend of mine who I had badgered into learning guitar so I could form a band wound up buying a 1959 blonde Capri 365 from another kid he played hockey with (at the time I was a little dumbfounded, but certainly didn't fully appreciate how unlikely that was). I was insanely jealous, but the guitar was barely playable due to a bowed neck. As a successful busboy at the prestigious Bonanza steakhouse, I could swing well over $150 if need be and I made it clear to him that I would love to buy it. Unbeknownst to me, he took it to a local shop to try to get the neck fixed. They told him that it was a lost cause, but they'd "do him the favor" of giving him the $150 he paid for it and take it off his hands. When I found out, I was crestfallen. Sure enough, a few weeks later, it was hanging on the shop wall with a $2000 price tag (probably about right in 1989, maybe on the low side) and it played beautifuly. Neither of us knew enough to raise hell (and we both had the kind of parents who would have started WWIII over something like this). Of course, I was upset about missing out on a chance of a lifetime, stewing over the loss of something that was never mine to begin with, but it was obviously my friend that actually got screwed over. But it still bugs me to this day.

– Afire

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a time in my life that I wouldn't have gone into that shop with your friend, given that guy his $150, taken the guitar and dared him to try to take it away from me. I never had any patience for snakes like that! My recent foray into Ric land hipped me to those Rose Morris ones with the F-hole. Were they only for import into the UK?

Register Sign in to join the conversation