Other Guitars

An often asked question.

I see this type of thread often and they always confuse me.

I'm looking at an XYZ guitar and I need your help in making my decision to buy it or not.

I can understand a newbie asking this who just wants to make sure he/she is spending their money wisely. However when a seasoned player asks this question, I find it confusing.

When I was young and music stores were plentiful, I knew when I picked up the right guitar for me almost immediately.

I don't get it either, Bear. They wouldn't ask you to order dinner for them, or to pick out a girlfriend either. No two people are alike (thankfully) and your choices are what makes you unique.

I dunno. Somebody who has more experience with a particular guitar (or especially amp) might have some insight into quirks, reliability issues, shortcomings that aren't immediately apparent, things it does or doesn't do well in certain applications, etc.

There are leaders... and there are followers. Being one or the other is not a title, it's a frame of mind.

I think it shows value of other forum members opinions and experiences. I have several instruments in my arsenal but still want to do homework before laying down the cash, and that includes talking to other musicians about their take or maybe something they have heard, watching demos on youtube, reading magazine reviews, etc, especially if my potential instrument of desire isn't available in my area to try first hand, and I'm probably going to have to buy online. Wabash, playing along with your analogy, might you ask someone "how was the steak?" or before a meeting a new girl "what's she like?"

No disrespect but I don't see how asking another's opinion is a difficult concept.

There are leaders... and there are followers. Being one or the other is not a title, it's a frame of mind.

– Tartan Phantom

I'm not sure I follow.

Can you tell me what to think? ;)

I think it's a polite way of asking if a guitar SUCKS.

I'm not sure I follow.

Can you tell me what to think? ;)

– crowbone

Sorry, that's the job of the government and the media... not my responsibility! (no emoticon available for tongue-in-cheek response)

I'm looking at an XYZ guitar...

Funny thing is, that's probably an actual brand name now.

I'm looking at an XYZ guitar...

Funny thing is, that's probably an actual brand name now.

– JimR56

I heard those new XYZs are pretty generic.

I see this type of thread often and they always confuse me.

I'm looking at an XYZ guitar and I need your help in making my decision to buy it or not.

I can understand a newbie asking this who just wants to make sure he/she is spending their money wisely. However when a seasoned player asks this question, I find it confusing.

When I was young and music stores were plentiful, I knew when I picked up the right guitar for me almost immediately.

– Bear

I find this generic, all encompassing question almost exclusively asked by a newbie, be that a newbie player or new to the Gretsch brand. I can understand the generic nature of such a question but this broad question needs a lot of questions back to the poster as to pinning down features, model to model, and what the buyer expects of the guitar for tone and playing styles etc....and price of course. Finding out their style of music can also be a big help.

On the other hand, a musician usually is more pointed in asking questions, such as the differences in neck profiles within say the 6120 models. He/she may already know about the differences and is asking for advice from folks with experience with his inquiry as he may not be able to find some to play before purchasing. If an experienced player asked the broad question, I agree it's confusing if they aren't specific.

A number of years back I asked the members advice on buying an amp with a 15" speaker and it generated many fine answers and suggestions and I took that advice, and bought a mint Executive, first suggested by Ric12string (Bob). In my case, I had no hesitation in looking for one of these after the great help I got here. I was specific and that makes a big difference.

I dunno. Somebody who has more experience with a particular guitar (or especially amp) might have some insight into quirks, reliability issues, shortcomings that aren't immediately apparent, things it does or doesn't do well in certain applications, etc.

– Afire

I agree. Especially if cash is a bit tight and they want to reduce chances of a mistake- at least from their perspective. There's people in the GDP who are quite experienced and knowledgeable regarding particular amps, guitars, etc. The ability to ask a question and get a response from a respected source here is one of the attractions to this place.

A number of years back I asked the members advice on buying an amp with a 15" speaker and it generated many fine answers and suggestions and I took that advice, and bought a mint Executive, first suggested by Ric12string (Bob). In my case, I had no hesitation in looking for one of these after the great help I got here. I was specific and that makes a big difference. -- Windsordave

Hey! That reminds me . . . where's my check?

A number of years back I asked the members advice on buying an amp with a 15" speaker and it generated many fine answers and suggestions and I took that advice, and bought a mint Executive, first suggested by Ric12string (Bob). In my case, I had no hesitation in looking for one of these after the great help I got here. I was specific and that makes a big difference. -- Windsordave

Hey! That reminds me . . . where's my check?

– Ric12string

I put it in the mail years ago; you mean that fine institution USPS didn't deliver it? Dam!

I heard those new XYZs are pretty generic.

– ramjam

XYZ = PRS.

I put it in the mail years ago; you mean that fine institution USPS didn't deliver it? Dam!

– Windsordave

That's okay. You can stop payment on it and simply PayPal the funds to me with the marvels of modern technology.

That's okay. You can stop payment on it and simply PayPal the funds to me with the marvels of modern technology.

– Ric12string

Let me ponder that awhile.

What does bug me sometimes is people asking questions that have been asked ánd answered many times before.

I always do a lot of googling (I mean duckduckgoing) before I considder asking something.

I think such conversations (and resulting threads) can be useful, as they can at least inform you of issues you may not have otherwise been aware of (e.g. "Oh, the nut width is really 1 5/8??").

But in terms of playability, overall sound and feel, nothing substitutes for playing the actual guitar/amp you wish to purchase --- in fact, playing it for a reasonably long period of time, if possible.

I have a rule now that I will NOT purchase an acoustic guitar over the internet purely on name, pictures, and internet chatroom reviews. (This stems from a Taylor guitar I purchased a while back from a reputable online dealer. Beautiful guitar in every way, except the sound and feel... ).

I had a few questions about a potential purchase, when I came on board here.

I found out that the 2000 - 2002 Synchromatics had no serial numbers.

As far as playability, I have always relied on actually having it in my hands but the guitar in question above was an ebay purchase. I really didn't get to try it out until it arrived but I wasn't disappointed at all. It just made me want another Gretsch. I figured if it was a dog, I could just sell it on ebay, again.

In the past 25 years, I've probably owned around 60 or so guitars. I can only think of 10 of them that I bought in person and had a chance to play first. Of course, play before pay is ideal, but depending on your tastes and where you're located, it isn't always an option. In my case nearly all of them have been variations on a couple of themes, so I don't need to ask questions, but if I was to stray into unfamiliar territory, I wouldn't hesitate to fire off some questions on my favorite forums.

Hearing a guitar either by an artist playing them, Youtube clips or stumbling on one in a music store is usually the genesis of my interest. After that is when I start researching and asking questions. This forum is by far the best resource for guitar information I have ever encountered.

I'm uneasy about buying guitars without playing them first but ironically the most expensive guitar I own, my DSV Duo Jet, was an online purchase from Rocky at StreetSounds. I had played a Duo Jet in a local music store and loved it but wanted a black one. Rocky's deal was I could return the guitar no questions asked within 3 days. I felt it was worth the gamble since every guitar really is different. Not every Pro-line Gretsch feels like "the one". Fortunately for me this one was. Every other guitar I own I either played it first before buying or built it myself except my Gretsch Corvette which was a gift.

On a slightly different path....I'm trying to decide between taking up the Guitar, or the Clarinet....can anyone offer any advice?

Clarinet is easier to carry than a guitar and amp.

It also sucks when you blow, so, there's that.

I have a Gretsch clarinet for sale....

Register Sign in to join the conversation