Other Guitars

acoustic guitar top refinishing — is it even done?

I can see why no one wants to take it on, but I sitll had an idea involving this because As The World Knows, I dislike natural/blond finishes. For acoustics sunburst, Gibson cherryburst, Martin darkburst or go home.

Putting Sunburst on is easy....it's the other way around that's never quite right.

I'm just the opposite---I'm not a fan of sunbursts. When I'm paying big bucks for quality wood products, I want to see wood, not paint.

Sunburst rules. I find natural guitars brutally boring looking. Horses for courses. Especially on flat top acoustics.

My old sunburst Fender FJ is pretty translucent. You can see the grain even through the darkest parts of the stain.

Sunburst rules. I find natural guitars brutally boring looking. Horses for courses. Especially on flat top acoustics.

– Afire
* "Sunburst rules."*

Not for me. They're the most boring and exceedingly common finish to me....I'm one of your different horses

Now I completely agree with you Afire, that some natural finishes are boring as hell, and style of guitar doesn't matter to me in that regard. For example, years ago the Norman Guitars started up production and they were mighty fine guitars, completing for build quality with just about any other company at the time (early '70's) but they only produced them with the wood thoroughly bleached and they looked hideous to me. Wouldn't own one just because of the that look.

I do really prefer the deepened, rich darker look a natural finish takes on when it ages. I call it a honey amber and think it's very classy. I like colored finishes too, and like most, some more than others. Beneath the Art Deco bridge on my Synchro, the finish that never saw light is considerably lighter and not frankly as pretty as the rest of the guitar.

I own a '98 6120 Blue Burst but it isn't a burst in the normal sense, rather just a deep blue finish that fades to black at the very edge of the top. It's a shade of blue I really like so I bought it. The Fleetwood I'm having restored (currently on hold) was tobacco sunburst but will be a nice aged looking honey amber when completely.

Back in the vintage days, some models cost more if you wanted a natural finish. It was considered an upgrade, one reason being the top had to have triple A grade wood with no knots, whereas a sunburst top could have flaws if they were in the black finished area. Regardless of who likes what, they all sound the same.

– Afire

If that looks boring, I wish all my other guitars are looking boring, too.

– Afire

I prefer sunburst. Fender had a massive clearance on the PM models which are awesome. I had to take the natural top as the sunburst cost more unfortunately. I can live with it.

I really like the cherry burst on Gibson acoustics. I just restored a 59 Jazzmaster with a 3 tone tobacco burst.

I agree that adding a burst to an acoustic is easily added to a natural finish.

Register Sign in to join the conversation