Other Guitars

accidental NGD

Well I traded into this 10 year old SG -- I like the feel but it has these butt ugly DuncanBuckers on it that will be the first things to go. Maybe will just go w/ regular Gibsons, maybe Fralins. Lollar is hi-end stuff.

Why would anyone do That? How about a p- 90 style? IMO it is Gibsons best pick-up. Or relic it..

Bet it would sound nice with the Gibson buckers in their Country Gent - I like 'em - or the Dimarzo's in my Super Axe. Both look identical and look good!

Happy "accident"! I'd go with P-90s myself.

"Accidental"... you seem to produce a guitar everytime you sneeze. Nonetheless a cool acquisition. Nevermind the bucker's ugliness, how does it sound?

Congratulations! I kind of like the quirky pickup.

"Accidental"... you seem to produce a guitar everytime you sneeze. -- Otter

My thoughts exactly!! Lol

Don't think Fralins are inferior to Lollars one bit.

Well is there some kinda adaptor plate if you go to P-90s?

Anway, it may get pimped out in gold, etc. Will report in later.

Still the Rick 650 has ruined me for necks -- this is the full 1 11/16th Gibson width and it feels narrow.

This will be tradiing bait for one of those eventually. This is super light guitar... just a little over 6 pounds.

I have tried Lollar HBs and they did absolutely nothing for me. The only HBs I have liked in the recent past were some Gibson Burstbuckers. No idea which they were but they sounded pretty good for HBs. The Lollars I have tried were very sterile. I think they were regular Imperials. I guess I don't have the right ears for anything Lollar!

Great "accidental" guitar grab, I'm on the look out for a SG with some buckers, I miss my '61 reissue. I have a set of WCR crossroad pickups that I really like. I had them in my SG that I sold, nice and clear and strong sounding. If that is the sound you are looking for

Lollar seems to be sort of a cult.

Now whatever the buckers were in the Gibson Gent... I'd be interested to know.

Doing Chet's thing on an SG might seems weird, but I'm more Chet than Angus Young.

Keep it Gibson and go '57 Classics. Any choice will look better than what the guitar currently has. That is agreed.

...------

That's a sweet looking SG (well except for the pu's). With regards to replacement pu's, if you want to go the P-90 route there are a good number of P-90's in a humbucker shell that would drop right in. If you want to stick with 'buckers but want something lower output with good note definition and no mud I would highly recommend Duncan Seth Lovers. My ESP/Edwards Les Paul copy came stock with the Seth Lovers and they are the only Gibby type 'buckers I have been able to bond with.

All good suggestions here -- if P-90s I have to go w/ Fralin noiseless.

My musical situation requires no single coil buzz at all. I have Fralin noiseless on the forthcoming B-Bender Les Paul in CAR finish that Curt W. is working on -- that you all will see when it's done -- and they sound great!

To my ear, nothing sounds more like an SG than one with classic 57's.

I honestly prefer the lower output neck version in the bridge position but that leaves few options for a neck pickup to match.

Keep it Gibson and go '57 Classics. Any choice will look better than what the guitar currently has. That is agreed.

...------

– indianation65

+1 Those are great sounding pickups - not at all muddy or honky sounding IMO.

Congrats on the SG - I for while back in 1990 & 91, I gigged with a 70s SG. I occasionally toy with scooping up the SG Jr. that's at my favorite guitar shop.

Well, my tech told me those Duncans are pearly gates -- fairly traditional and I should at least try them. So gold covers go on, of course. Will evaluate, and then probably switch to Gibsons anway

OOOOoooh Pearly Gates. Great shades of Billy Gibbons! Pearly Gates in and just play the thing. That's the state I'd leave the Gibson in.

Good! I was about to ask if you'd send me the dog meat butt ugly buckers

I thought you were a non slab guy. Great score!

Lollar seems to be sort of a cult.

Now whatever the buckers were in the Gibson Gent... I'd be interested to know.

Doing Chet's thing on an SG might seems weird, but I'm more Chet than Angus Young.

– DCBirdMan

When Gibson made the Country Gent for Chet when he came aboard, Chet wasn't thrilled with the standard - whatever those were exactly - pups and for awhile, he used a Ray Butts pup in the neck position - the same pup I put in my Super Chet, BTW. Gibson worked on their pups and finally Chet accepted what they then assigned as a 492R for the neck pup and 490T for the bridge. Apparently they're slightly hotter than the ones he didn't like.

I wish that when I had an accident it ended up like yours.

Register Sign in to join the conversation