Other Guitars

A New World Record?

At least this one has historic value. The previous record holder was covered in diamonds---pointless bling.

I bet that thing would sound mean with a slide and a 5E3

Makes John Fogerty's Creedence Acme Rickenbacker a steal for $40K.

I thought this thread was going to about ELO.

Jonesing for some Telephone LIne, Living Thing and Do Ya.

Cool Ric though.

I'm calling 100% complete and utter bullshit.

The 1935 Rickenbacker full-scale electro-Spanish guitar, which Nick Lee of Nicholas Lee Guitars in Lewes, Del., refers to as "the most important guitar you've never heard of," sold for $7.5 million, according to contract documents of the sale dated Friday..."This is really a forgotten piece of history..."

If it was a "forgotten" relic that "you've never heard of," then who would pay much for it? In any case, it's' not particularly obscure. It's a Ken Roberts model, made from 1935 to 1940, and this isn't even a particularly early one. An interesting footnote in guitar history, but not extraordinarily rare or particularly sought after.

Lee provided a notarized bill of sale...

Which is meaningless.

...but the $7.5 million price could not be independently verified.

Of course it couldn't.

Nicholas Lee pulled off a little scam and got a write-up on usatoday.com to drum up a little interest in his custom guitars.

nicholasleeguitars.com

And if there are any entrepreneurial types on the board, here's the chance of a lifetime.

https://reverb.com/item/178...

$6,800.00. So, you could flip that for a gain of $7,493,200.00. Somebody may want to check my math, but I believe that's a 110,294% return on your investment. Not too shabby.

And with the matching amp, you can probably double those numbers.

Well isn't that something.

Regarding your second link, Afire, those guys at Austin Vintage Guitars are stand-up fellas with fair prices and a jaw-dropping selection of vintage amps. I bought my 6120 there and my 2x12 Fulton-Webb Cabinet. I also sold them my Twin Reverb and they offered me a part time gig based on the quality of my restoration on it.

Anyways, you can rest assured they will not scam anybody with that Ric.

There is/was a Smithsonian show put together a few years back called "Electrified:Guitar Revolution". You can find it on their website. GE Smith is the quasi-Host, go to guitar player. Either that Ric model, or one other more obscure builder, is defined as the modern link.

Kind of like Chimps to Apes, whatever.

If you are having a hard time with the valuation, or the story, then maybe consider it a way to beat Estate Tax limits, and put money in someone's pocket now not later with only Capital Gains. Such is the Art World...Then the later donation with Tax write-off, net net ahead.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

https://www.google.com/sear...

What was the scam? No buyer, and just a PR stunt?

What was the scam? No buyer, and just a PR stunt?

– Neal Rudnik

PR stunt of some sort seems like the most likely explanation to me. Buyer or no buyer, there's no way anybody paid $7,500,000.00 for that guitar. Maybe it changed hands at a realistic price ($5,000-$10,000), or maybe it didn't at all.

I hadn't considered twangmeisternyc's juicier line of thinking. It certainly could be something more involved than a simple PR stunt.

This guitar could have the greatest heritage in the history of musical instruments but I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for something that butt ugly. If I put that ugly mother on a stand in my room, it would be reduced to toothpicks by morning......my other guitars would beat the $hit out of it!

I thought this thread was going to about ELO.

Jonesing for some Telephone LIne, Living Thing and Do Ya.

Cool Ric though.

– drmilktruck

same here. My favorite album by them.

I would think that that guitar would have been hanging in the RIC headquarters museum.

I would think that that guitar would have been hanging in the RIC headquarters museum.

– Jim Krause

Maybe they thought it too ugly too Jim......would spoil the décor in the room.

– Jim Krause

Why? Anybody could buy the same guitar today on Reverb. They aren't that special. The Rickenbacker "museum" has much more interesting guitars.

Super wealthy men love to brag about their purchases, and being a multi-millionaire or billionaire makes life so easy.

Anything is possible, and if it is, the buyer has a story lined up when his buddies come over to jam or go play golf.

If I was a mega-gabizigliamofanaire, I'd make crazy purchases.

...-------

Super wealthy men love to brag about their purchases, and being a multi-millionaire or billionaire makes life so easy.

Anything is possible, and if it is, the buyer has a story lined up when his buddies come over to jam or go play golf.

If I was a mega-gabizigliamofanaire, I'd make crazy purchases.

...-------

– indianation65

I'd likely help the less fortunate. I have plenty of nice guitars.

I get that line of thinking, but the problem with it is that mega-gabizigliamofanaires don't get to be mega-gabizigliamofanaires or stay mega-gabizigliamofanaires by paying $7,500,000.00 for things worth $7,500.00. It doesn't happen in the real world. No way it happened here.

And think about how absurd the entire premise is. This guy, Nicholas Lee, isn't a prominent vintage dealer, just a small custom guitar operation. I suspect nobody here has ever even heard of him before.

Leave aside for a moment the fact that this isn't unique and there is an easily ascertainable value for these. So, how on earth could this guitar be credibly valued at $7,500,000? How was it marketed? Guitars that actually get into the high six figures and beyong are invariably sold through a reputable auction hourse. But we're supposed to believe that some unknown slaps a $7,500,000 price tag on it and the dumbest mega-gabizigliamofanaire on earth just happens to stumble upon it and without asking any questions, forks over $7,500,000? That's beyond absurd.

I just took another look at the article. It looks like Gruhn and others have chimed in to call bullshit. Gruhn's description of the claim: "outlandishly bizarre."

Grandma and Grandpa...

Large landowners, good Tax Planner, obscure related artifact purchase, a Trust, a Shell corporation, many years in between before eventual donation, either with gain or loss.

Nicky was always their favorite...such a good boy.

Seems he only understand guitars...never going to work the family farm.

He could use some money now, to make that guitar business grow and help others.

Hmmm...

"Don't let my facetiousness interrupt other inappropriate counter-intuitive thought..."

Addendum: I did not state that I "believe" the story, but that it is my opinion that super wealthy men probably do make crazy purchases, simply because they can.

Their toys are no different than ours, except they are displayed on a higher-priced landscape.

Mr. Lee states that this purchase is true, and he will reveal the buyer at some point. The story is dated March 8, 2017. I doubt it is true, and if it is, by the time the purchaser reads the comments around the country, Mr. Lee will "not" receive the 1st check.

I also stated that if I was a super-rich man, (I made up a XXXanaire term) I would make crazy purchases as well.

First, I'd probably buy a mountain and possibly an island, then I'd probably allow myself to pay $1500.00 for "1" guitar. My limit has always been "$1499.00"!

...------

Register Sign in to join the conversation