Other Guitars

a mutant

The Guy that Fabs those is a Member here, and on G.T.

Find the bastard who did this and shoot him!!

I think this thread is more than a little over-the-top. Yes the aesthetics represent a very personal point of view, the workmanship is good. "Mutant" and "shoot him" seem... uncool.

He has amazing woodworking skills, even tho the shape is odd.

Not everyone’s cuppa’ but lots of folks appreciate a bit of Dr. Seuss in their designs.

Find the bastard who did this and shoot him!!

– Windsordave

Ummmmm, not very nice..

And how does anybody who’s on this site not know about these guitars?

Ok maybe a poor choice for a thread but still never seen anything this wild. I vote for HiLo Trons in this

Sorry for the poor choice of words. As a Canadian, I view the expression figuratively, whereas the American audience can take it literally.

It's the same old complaint though. Stripping down a wrecked guitar to sell off the parts is one thing but stripping vintage and unique guitars in pristine shape is quite another. It's a heartless decision to do this.

It's not vintage, he built it himself. He builds guitars from scratch in all kinds of unique shapes, he's just decided the parts were destined for another self-built guitar. Here's his instagram account with several other guitars he's built at home.

Geez, come on, Dave! Does this look like a vintage guitar to you? How can you have missed Brian's many builds?

It's been both entertaining and heartening to watch Brian's evolution over the past decade (has it been that long?) or so. It seems he started with little more than basic tools, some wild ideas, and the determination to build guitars. His first builds were more than a little crude and primitive - and his unique aesthetic sense was expressed in its most exuberant and unrefined way. More than one of us thought he was self-deluded and wasting good parts.

But you know what - he stuck to it. Every build got better, with better workmanship, fit, and finish. In the process he didn't so much moderate his unique aesthetic approach as just learn better how to realize it; at the same time he found finishes and appointments that complement his designs. Proportions and curves have gotten more graceful.

With passion, vision, and an unrelenting commitment of time, money, and determination he's carved out a unique and, I think, kinda enchanting corner of personal luthiery. He builds mostly for the love of it and rarely sells one of his unique creations. They're something between folk art and luthiery, I guess - but in a world filled with numbingly similar and ever-more-minute refinements of very conventional designs, there's plenty of room for someone going his own way.

And if you have a chance to watch one of his YouTube recordings, I recommend it. There's a touch of Neil Young and gallons of commitment and authentic communication in his musical approach. Raw, direct, and unfiltered, he kinda humbles me. With his guitar building and his music, he just gets it done more than he talks about it. I have to think he's living completely in his moment, and is never less than 100% exactly who he is.

I'd be proud to own one of his builds, and he doesn't deserve any kind of abuse from any of us - for any reason.

He also loves goldfish.

Brian Richman has become sort of a hero to me.

Unmistakably MVPgretsch's handiwork . . . He is a one-of-kind craftsman and artist!

I totally dig it...but then again, I've always been a sucker for checkerboard (squares) and harlequin (diamonds) design.

Love the crescent moon "f" holes too.

Geez, come on, Dave! Does this look like a vintage guitar to you? How can you have missed Brian's many builds?

It's been both entertaining and heartening to watch Brian's evolution over the past decade (has it been that long?) or so. It seems he started with little more than basic tools, some wild ideas, and the determination to build guitars. His first builds were more than a little crude and primitive - and his unique aesthetic sense was expressed in its most exuberant and unrefined way. More than one of us thought he was self-deluded and wasting good parts.

But you know what - he stuck to it. Every build got better, with better workmanship, fit, and finish. In the process he didn't so much moderate his unique aesthetic approach as just learn better how to realize it; at the same time he found finishes and appointments that complement his designs. Proportions and curves have gotten more graceful.

With passion, vision, and an unrelenting commitment of time, money, and determination he's carved out a unique and, I think, kinda enchanting corner of personal luthiery. He builds mostly for the love of it and rarely sells one of his unique creations. They're something between folk art and luthiery, I guess - but in a world filled with numbingly similar and ever-more-minute refinements of very conventional designs, there's plenty of room for someone going his own way.

And if you have a chance to watch one of his YouTube recordings, I recommend it. There's a touch of Neil Young and gallons of commitment and authentic communication in his musical approach. Raw, direct, and unfiltered, he kinda humbles me. With his guitar building and his music, he just gets it done more than he talks about it. I have to think he's living completely in his moment, and is never less than 100% exactly who he is.

I'd be proud to own one of his builds, and he doesn't deserve any kind of abuse from any of us - for any reason.

He also loves goldfish.

Brian Richman has become sort of a hero to me.

– Proteus

I know it isn't vintage and I know exactly who built it. I've followed all his builds and am a big fan of his work. I consider his creations to be works of art, not just a guitar, and not being aware that this guitar still belonged to him - he's said he doesn't hang on to them - assumed the latest owner had stripped it to sell the parts separately. Unique works of art or vintage guitars considered to be iconic don't deserve to be desecrated which is why I was upset at seeing yet another fine instrument torn apart, as is being seeing more and more lately.

I agree with your description of Brian's builds and followed them all, along with the videos. His first few builds certainly were out of the norm but I liked them as being a cross between a modern Gretsch design but morphed into a piece of folk art.

As I explained, my vitriol was in no way directed towards Brian as I too would consider owning one of his builds, an honor. I wish I had his talent.

Though Dave can speak his mind rather bluntly and has strong opinions, I think in this instance he is genuinely being misunderstood, perhaps due to his choice of language and the brevity of his comment rather than his actual intent.

It seems he thought someone was parting out this builder's guitar, not knowing it was the builder himself who was selling the instrument after repurposing some hardware.

Oh and I think these guitars are definitely innovative aesthetically. "Mutant' might not be so bad. There are positive mutations. These guitars definitely have an almost Dali-esque look to them which makes them seem to have been transformed organically from a more conventional Gretsch. Cutting edge stuff. The man clearly has vision.

The eBay seller's name ("mvpkoi") and the fact that in the listing description, the seller states "I hand built this crazy shaped hollowbody..." should be enough to indicate that the seller and builder are one in the same; it seemed readily apparent to me when taking a cursory glance at the listing.

Brian is a known member here and his designs are easily recognizable, even if they may or may not to everyone's liking. Regardless, some discretion should really be in order before making such comments here.

I like “different” and Brian’s guitars definitely qualify for the designation. Real artist imo. Good luck with the sale if you’re reading this MPV.

An obvious Brian Richman creation. I feel the same as Tim. It's been interesting watching his designs change, over the years.

While his guitar designs are not my cup of tea, I admire Brian's vision and his wood working skills (I'm a cabinet/furniture maker).

If you want to see "shoot-him" worthy mutants, revisit some of Henry J's disastrous Gibson messes......

Ok GDpers put yer money where your mouth is!! I just bid on it! Get on board!!!

Wowszer, originally it had two dynasonics with a Filtertron in the middle ....and its larger than you might think, here's the YouTube video of it when it was all together

Link

I'm bidding on it, heck, I've got enough pickups and knobs and tuners around here, that would be cool

Register Sign in to join the conversation