Other Guitars

6196 gretsch

I am restoring my dads 55 6196, Cadillac Green. The case handle needs to be repaired or replaced. The dynasonics are gone due to corrosion. Any recommendations on rewinds. It was refinished 20 years ago. So not original. Sorry .

Pics are always welcome. Sure, replacing worn out items and the refinish will lower the value but you'll still have a great guitar when you're done.

Tom Brantley rewinded a 50's DeArmond (Dynasonic) for me. He did a great job. I can highly recommend him.

Tom Brantley website

Good luck with your guitar!

Someone got a brand new replacement handle for an old case; check the Vintage Gretsch section for old threads. People over there can direct you with more info. Curt at Old School Guitars is the guy to do a quality refin on your Club. Link to your right.

Tom Brantley did one of my dynasonics too. matched it to the other one with great results

Pics are always welcome. Sure, replacing worn out items and the refinish will lower the value but you'll still have a great guitar when you're done.

– Windsordave

i will try to get before and afters.

Someone got a brand new replacement handle for an old case; check the Vintage Gretsch section for old threads. People over there can direct you with more info. Curt at Old School Guitars is the guy to do a quality refin on your Club. Link to your right.

– lx

cool thanks, it was refinished about 20 years ago . by D'leco guitars in okc. Done in poly instead of old style. the old tweed case is cool! just trying to keep it as close to original as possible. don't want a rat rod gretsch LoL.

Tom Brantley rewinded a 50's DeArmond (Dynasonic) for me. He did a great job. I can highly recommend him.

Tom Brantley website

– Andreas

thanks i will contact him. My old Buddy , Richard Hudson is a gretsch man. he got me hooked up with the pages.

With your Dearmonds are you sure the coil is compromised? Sometimes the very fine 'hot' wire going into the coil can deteriorate or break where it comes out on he pickups bottom and if you are very carefull there's often enough under the coil wrappings to solder on a new wire, saving an otherwise okay vintage pickup. Just in case.

It broke inside the plate . The only way to get it is to break the seal . Great advise though thanks

Please consider adding your Club to the GDP registry of serial numbers.

It broke inside the plate . The only way to get it is to break the seal . Great advise though thanks

– 6181

It won't pop out of it's cover? If it will,you do have to undo the tape around the coil carefully but you can get at the rest of it to very carefully solder a new wire on. If you feel it's already hooped, it's worth a try.

Please consider adding your Club to the GDP registry of serial numbers.

– kc_eddie_b

Please advise where that is on this site. thanks. i will post before and after pictures once i figure out how to get them here. not really a computer person. my last job the crew bought me an echa sketch for christmas.

Here's a link to the 6196 page in the database:

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

If you're signed in, you should see a link at the bottom of the page ( "+ Add your 6196" )

Took photo of guitar . Stripped for now . Want to see the results before long. Just hardware not finish!

Cool project! Your GDP registry entry suggests that it has a Bigsby B3... might that be a B6 (which is more common for this guitar)? Love to see a photo of that, so we can verify it's vintage.

Cool project! Your GDP registry entry suggests that it has a Bigsby B3... might that be a B6 (which is more common for this guitar)? Love to see a photo of that, so we can verify it's vintage.

– kc_eddie_b

Not sure b3 , just put b3 . Only marking is ex short . Which was marked on back side . There is a picture of the guitar on the serial number page . All electronics are off for now . Sending the pickups for rewind and replate since the surrounds got painted. Look for my 6181 sign in .

Tom Brantley website

– Andreas

Thanks, i sent him an email. he did respond back. will follow in the future.

Register Sign in to join the conversation