Other Guitars

56 Goldtop project.

Blinkin' marvellous. Well done Tony!

Thanks guys.

This turned out so well I've decided to treat myself to some OTPG celluloid 'board markers. The original plastic ones resisted all my attempts to age them.

Fabulous work. Great photos, awesome craftsmanship.

Did you try out different amounts of Time , Temperature and positions before hand, to get the right amount of checking?

Incredible job! I have been thinking for quite awhile of building a goldtop. Thanks for all the photos and explanations of your techniques.

The guitar looks and sounds great. Nice playing too!

Did you try out different amounts of Time , Temperature and positions before hand, to get the right amount of checking?

– LA_Manny

Just overnight in the freezer, when I opened the door in the morning I could see that it had checked nicely.

The "before" and "after" on this one would be unbelieveable if you hadn't documented the ste-by-step process. Incredible work and talent. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Hey Billy, can you expand on "shoulder reshape?" Regarding the black, my '59 6120 has lost all it's black but I've seen many with the black intact.

– tonyb

50's Bigsbys have a very pronounced shoulder in their shape

Whereas the new ones do not

But you can reshape a new one to look more like an old one

OK, I see what you mean. Shouldn't that be waist not shoulder?

50's Bigsbys have a very pronounced shoulder in their shape

Whereas the new ones do not

But you can reshape a new one to look more like an old one

– Billy D Light

Great, I was thinking about this myself last week. Seeing this makes it more difficult to choose between a B3 or B7 Bigsby for my Goldtop. Choices... Thanks for sharing Billy!

Hmm... Knowing that it is possible to add binding to a finished unbound guitar, I might need to add that to the ongoing 'projects to do list'.

OK, I see what you mean. Shouldn't that be waist not shoulder?

– tonyb

You say TomAYto I say TomaaaTo, let's call the whole.......

Left handed B7's appear to be more like the vintage versions. Link

Left handed B7's appear to be more like the vintage versions. Link

– Mr Tubs

Correct. They made so few lefty's that they are still using the original casting die

So, in with the OTPG inlays. Comparison.inlays 001

Out with the old.inlays 002

In with the new. The stock ones have slightly rounded corners so I had to chisel the corners out a bit.inlays 003

Register Sign in to join the conversation