Other Guitars

55 Les Paul Custom

NFI.

It took many years to get over my LP aversion due to too many '70's wankers using them, but I'm glad I finally did. This thing is just flat-out gorgeous. From the staple P90 and the extra binding and, well, everything. Interesting black-light photos too.

Gretsch needs to out-do this and they could so easily: gloss black (lacquer) with multi-lam binding (5-ply, 6-ply, 7-ply, more?) everywhere, gold hardware, pearl humps with Dynas, neo's with Filters. Do something special with the headstock inlay.

And do something with the top binding that Gretsch did a little in the 1950's: bevel it. No-one else is doing this and it really makes the edge pop at an angle.

Gretsch needs to out-do this and they could so easily: gloss black (lacquer) with multi-lam binding (5-ply, 6-ply, 7-ply, more?) everywhere, gold hardware, pearl humps with Dynas, neo's with Filters. Do something special with the headstock inlay.

Kind of in the ballpark...

Yeah, but the Falcon/Penguins are a bit over the top -- not that there's anything wrong with that. Do a multi lam pickguard too; Gretsch used to do that a lot. And I never cared for the white dots on the knobs; just jewels is fine.

Gretsch needs to out-do this

Why?

This guitar is based on a 1955 model, has a lacquer finish and also has alnico slug single coil pickups.

This guitar is based on a 1955 model, has a lacquer finish and also has alnico slug single coil pickups.

– BuddyHollywood

A Duo Jet will always be the perfect solidbody as far as I'm concerned, but all black with a little extra bling wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yeah, but the Falcon/Penguins are a bit over the top -- not that there's anything wrong with that. Do a multi lam pickguard too; Gretsch used to do that a lot. And I never cared for the white dots on the knobs; just jewels is fine.

– lx

I agree Lx. Less flashy headstock, multi-layer binding like I have on my Super Chet, multi-layer binding on the pickguard like I have on my 41 Synchro and please lose that cheesy habit of putting a painted dot or fake ruby in the middle of the knobs!! Less [bling] is more in many cases..

Make it available with either gold or chrome hardware. IMO, my suggestions would make for a much more elegant guitar than the current offering. And though my SC doesn't have or need the binding on the body chamfered to show it off, I like the idea of doing it on the penguin at least. I'd like to see multi-bindings [on the pickguard and body, neck & headstock on the top end models to give them some separation from the rest of the pack.

I love 70s Les Pauls, and many of the players who used them.

Ace, was awesome! LPs from just about any decade are greatness. They are the kind of the mountain! Everyone knows it! Rock on!

...------

A Duo Jet will always be the perfect solidbody as far as I'm concerned, but all black with a little extra bling wouldn't be a bad thing.

– lx

A Les Paul in the right hands is magnificent. I was listening to one of my previous band mate's albums this morning and he made his Les Paul sound like the layers of the Milky Way galaxy.

Unfortunately I'm not one of those guys.

Fortunately The Duo Jet is perfect for me!

I LOVE those guitars. I played a 55 or 56 at Elderly once for a few hours. It had everything: tone, playability, looks. Just a great guitar. I was about to take it home with me, but then remembered that I didn't have $35,000. I posted about it here and mentioned that it was obviously worth it to someone, or they wouldn't list it at that price. But I also mentioned that even if I were loaded, I probably wouldn't spend that much money on a guitar. Maybe if I were...you know...a much better player and a pro. Of course, people spend much much more than that on musical instruments. Cheap for a pro-grade violin or cello. Pianos get up there as well. Anyway, this provoked a response from a certain member who called me out for being a commie and that I didn't understand exchange/market value and who was I to judge someone else for how much they would spend on something they loved. Good times on the GDP!

Here's Franny Beecher, making his SING (lipsynched, but likely the guitar he used to record it):

Oh, and play it in excellent health, of course! I've played the reissues and found them to be amazing as well. You must be positively giddy!

Register Sign in to join the conversation