Other Guitars

$50K and it doesn’t even play correctly

BTW it needs a new nut to play correctly. Isn't this scene just about over here in 2020?

Link

Nuts to that.

Thus, see cheap guitar thread.

My 160.00 Rondo Tele's nut is just fine.

Rondo Music takes me back to the 1960s when I was a Little Dork in NJ, . One of my friends went to a Thomas Vox promo there in 1967 and got me the Thomas foldout I use to this day, to tell ya all about kool solid state Thomas amps. But their days in Rt. 22, Union NJ are long gone.

Has anyone besides me noticed that Fender guitars are a stick screwed to a plank mounted with some inexpensive electrical components? I paid around $125 for a similar guitar years ago. It seemed like a fair price.

After the mystification, I don't know if Leo would be more delighted or appalled.

My Fender has a really nice stick.

Surely the mystique of these so called venerable guitars has run it's course? The fact that they are no better if not worse than a guitar you can buy now must have been cottoned on by all except the dumbest of guitar buyers who usually don't play themselves.

Surely the mystique of these so called venerable guitars has run it's course? The fact that they are no better if not worse than a guitar you can buy now must have been cottoned on by all except the dumbest of guitar buyers who usually don't play themselves.

– Taffy

I normally don't get into discussiing matters of taste but I will make an exception here because of the assertion of "the fact".

My Stratocaster is a couple of hundred off in serial number from the one in question and has all of the same appointments save that mine is hard tail. Having played that Strat versus new ones, I wouldn't in any way concede that mine at least is not better than the modern ones I've played. It is also certainly a very different instrument in terms of the way it plays and sounds to different eras such as my 71 Stratocaster.

That said, I do feel that there is a lot warranted criticism at the asking price for this instrument and the irony highlighted by the original post is well taken. Whether "the scene" is near over in 2020 is always a worthy topic. I've been doing some liquidating lately and concern of the stability of the market going forward is one factor there, but not the only one.

I've played a lot of old Strats and I definitely see why some players love them. But I am more than happy with my quite expensive CS '60s Strat. It has all the modern bits I like as well as the features I like about the old ones. I don't like small frets and the 7.25 radius. And I especially don't like the pricetags on the oldies. With my CS Strat I know exactly what I have and don't worry about various parts originality and all that. I just really like how my Strat feels and sounds - and what else is there?

Has anyone besides me noticed that Fender guitars are a stick screwed to a plank mounted with some inexpensive electrical components? I paid around $125 for a similar guitar years ago. It seemed like a fair price.

– Viper

I noticed that pretty much right away. I paid $175 for a new Stagg Strat copy, which does all the Fendery things I could ask, is comfortable to play, and only needed minimal attention and tweaking when I got it.

I wouldn't be tempted by a $50k Strat even if it was verified to have been played by Buddy Holly, Hendrix, or SRV. And even if I had an extra $50k I didn't know what to do with.

Register Sign in to join the conversation