Other Guitars

... and like Cap'n Sammy,

... I'm DONE.

Or so I say. With best intentions.

Hats off to ya bud! Helluva stash. That 360’s a rare beasty indeed in that config.

Sweet. The white and green both look smart.

Fallout.

Cloud.

Get to it.

Needs 1 more to round off the collection. A Deusenberg maybe?

The number of states at your birth.

– NJBob

That was the 13 colonies.

– Ric12string

Jamestown

... I'm DONE.

Or so I say. With best intentions.

– Proteus

Me too. I s’pose this ends any talk of a mermaid colored 5422-12. Will you do a review of your new black one to complete your 12 string assessments?

Italia Riminis are killer...KILLER!

I've got a 6 and 12 string each!

I have a couple Reverends, but not the Reverend Airwave. I'm sure it plays well.

Addendum: I'm curious how the Eastwood Classic 12 compares to the Gretsch. I've never played either.

...------

I do like the purposeful styling and shorter scale-ness of the Reverend but not its persistent right-handedness.

The same reservation applies to all but the Rickenbacker. Which looks super with the BlaKrome metal parts. Really works with the natural finish.

All these instruments have quite beautiful and individual aesthetics.

I've got a 6 and 12 string each!

I have a couple Reverends, but not the Reverend Airwave. I'm sure it plays well.

Addendum: I'm curious how the Eastwood Classic 12 compares to the Gretsch. I've never played either.

...------

– indianation65

I’ve not played an Eastwood but the Gretsch 5422/12, man....

VERY playable and also to my surprise, intonation has been a non-issue with the six-saddle bridge.

It has also recorded wonderfully, in my experience

Thoughts & experiences on the Airwave? Are you pleased with it?

Fallout. Cloud. Get to it.

I hear ya man. It's on my list. It could happen. But...12 strings?

A Deusenberg maybe?

Any millennia now.

Jamestown.

I think you guys are riffing on my age, when of course I'm simply timeless.

That 360’s a rare beasty indeed in that config.
Gorgeous 360
Which looks super with the BlaKrome metal parts. Really works with the natural finish.

A rare config, yes - I don't know that it's a desirable one. Also, though it may not be immediately evident in the pic, a chrome tailpiece violates the black-hardware aesthetic. The original POT-METAL piece snapped under string tension while the guitar rested in its case. Rickenbaker didn't have black. I've thought about turning everything else chrome to make it match itself. And just yesterday, seeing Sammy's Ric Picguard replacements, I thought about a gold guard. But maybe the black is handsome after all. Since Rics of the 330 and 360 class look fundamentally and irredeemably clumsy and ungraceful to me, I have a hard time judging their aesthetics.

I s’pose this ends any talk of a mermaid colored 5422-12.

I think the relative lack of enthusiasm shown by either Rocky or Joe ended that fantasy.

Will you do a review of your new black one to complete your 12 string assessments?

I intend to shoot them all out back-to-back on same-like material through same amp, with appraisals of all. Might be a useful resource. When, I don't know. Could be soon.

It's true.

I was also in the couple-Rev department, and they're all thoroughly evolved, perfectly executed guitars - which, yes (maybe thanks to Zack the Setup Guy) - always play very well right out of the box, and seem to keep playing well indefinitely. So I couldn't resist the brief on the Airwave. I'm not at all disappointed. I can imagine it in slightly dressier trim, but it's fully up to Rev standards in every way.

I'm curious how the Eastwood Classic 12 compares to the Gretsch.

I run hot and cold on Eastwood. I have a couple that are purely wonderful, irreplaceable - others haven't excited me at all. I think they're most successful when re-issuing old obscurities which would otherwise not be available - and they're best at that when the hardware remains as close to original as possible. (Sometimes I think his modernization goes too far and blands out what was unique about the originals.)

But when he just does a version on the cheap of guitars currently available by their original manufacturer, I go real cold real fast. No interest in the "Classic" line of Gent ripoffs.

VERY playable and also to my surprise, intonation has been a non-issue with the six-saddle bridge.

That's true, as all who have it have attested. And I'm also surprised how well it intonates. FAR better than the Ric, though I can't see how or why. Both intonate both strings in each course at the same point, and when wounds and plains are mixed, ONE string should be out. On the Ric, one string most definitely is (which dissonance is both avoided when possible and then forgiven as part of the vibe). On the Gretsch, they're just RIGHT. I'd like to figure that out.

I do like the purposeful styling and shorter scale-ness of the Reverend but not its persistent right-handedness.

Ah, the perpetual challenge of the other-handed among us. (Who were presumably born that way. It's genetics, not choice...)

The doublecut Gretsch might at least be feasible. Knobs would be on the wrong side, and you'd have to cut a nut, but at least the sucker's symmetrical.

All these instruments have quite beautiful and individual aesthetics.

They do! I have slight reservations about details on both the Ric (ambivalence about the hardware color - why does no one do bronze?) and the Rev (somehow it manages to look plain). I suppose the Gretsch succeeds perfectly at being exactly what it is: a 12-string version of an established Gretsch design, with the minimum changes required to pull that off. But I'm so used to Gretsch doublecuts I barely even see it, if you know what I mean.

The Rimini, though - it's an aesthetic feast-and-giggle every time you look at it. I think it's a considerably more graceful interpretation of the basic Ric body shape to begin with, and while I usually dislike German carve, somehow in conjunction with the pearloid, it lends exactly the right amount of sensuous sculptural interest.

The soundhole is perfectly shaped - and Italia made a conscious and smart design choice by flat-blacking the inside of the guitar. Details! I'm always amused by the ovaloid bubble of cream-colored control pod - and notice that the cream binding matches its hue. The gold knobs shouldn't work - nothing else on the guitar is goldfingered - but somehow they do. The I-tailpiece (arguably a ripoff of both Ric and Gretsch practice) succeeds because the "I" is so gracefully done.

I'm usually ambivalent about block fret markers, but the abalone dots capping each redeem them completely. The headstock is another piece of inspiration, working a practical transformation on the basic Ric idea, and lending yet another touch of Italianesque quirk. It's also easier to string than the Ric. The chrome tuner buttons may be an opportunity missed: pearloid or cream might have done.

And we haven't even talked about the back, which is a gorgeous red-to-black burst paying homage to 60s practice - but done oh so much more tastefully.

Italia clearly has real artists as designers, who incorporate touches of pure inspiration that can't be explained in practical terms - but who know how not to go too far. And while they knocked it clear to the stands, I'll take credit for lofting it out of the park by putting pearloid overlays on the pickup rings, so from a distance the pickups take up less visual space than they did with chrome rings.

None of this makes it a better guitar functionally (though in fact it's marvelous). And the guitar would still be a complete pip without its visual effect, and I'd still like it with just half the stuff Italia got so right - but it IS one of those guitars which entertains every sense. Except maybe smell. The new smell has faded. At least it smells neutral.

I see the 12 string party has relocated!

It's a traveling feast.

Register Sign in to join the conversation