Other Guitars

1970 Tele’s must be awesome

The sad thing is that there may be someone out there who's dumb enough to buy it! LOL

Well those guys are always hi-$ -- just this one is such a conversation piece. Weird for sure

Too bad it's a refin. Otherwise...

It just makes me kinda sad to look at.

Where's the face palm emoji when I need it?

I think someone mis-placed a decimal point.

What really is crazy is this isn't some dude with delusions of grandeur, it's frikken CME who obviously knows better!

"...that don't make no sense..."

Well to make everyone feel better here's a pix of Paul playing an original lefty 1954 blackguard.

How dare you call Sir Paul a blackguard, sir! If you dare repeat the calumny, I shall take it as tantamount to a flung gauntlet, and it will be rapiers at dawn.

Oh dear, I have called forth the Wrath of Prote -- but honestly I never liked that term, even in 1976. It's just an early Tele -- I used to worship these tedious planks but finally grew up. What is cool tho is that he had a sunburst Esquire, heard on Sgt. Pepper and then some on his first home recorded solo album

Also it should be added that Sir Paul owns two of the four 1960 lefty Les Paul sunbursts known to exist.

It must be a very rare model.

Well to make everyone feel better here's a pix of Paul playing an original lefty 1954 blackguard.

– DCBirdMan

Jeans by Stella McCartney.

– kc_eddie_b

This is from the ad - "Body Details: Ash solid body. The body and and pick guard have been reshaped stripped and refinished."

Uh, yeah. The description makes it sound like it's no big deal to just reshape an iconic body style.

How dare you call Sir Paul a blackguard, sir! If you dare repeat the calumny, I shall take it as tantamount to a flung gauntlet, and it will be rapiers at dawn.

– Proteus

Prote has broken the Internet! "Blackguard" in one sentence,"calumny" in the next.......

Ugh! CME is still trying to sell that thing? I wonder if they aren't keeping it on Reverb as a standing joke.

I wonder if they aren't keeping it on Reverb as a standing joke.

I hope so. On first glance, it erodes my respect for CME a bit that they don't both price it as the mutilated remains of a Tele it is, and that they don't lead with an acknowledgment of that truth in the listing headline.

They do, however put it up-front in the first/thumbnail pic, so it's not like they're hiding anything. And maybe drily acknowledging the facts with the body and pick guard have been reshaped stripped and refinished serves further as full disclosure.

I'm just thinking if I somehow had such a thing to sell, I'd lead with the funniest story I could concoct about the elephant in the room.

And the price is absurd: aside from the obvious butchery, very little of the guitar is original. Neck is closest, but it's been refretted. All that's original are "tuners, nut, neck plate and strap buttons. The bridge, control plate, switch tip and knobs have all been replaced."

So you wouldn't even be buying it for donor parts. If the body was intact, you'd at least be getting a plank of vintage wood to go with the original neck. But...well, poor ol' body.

The price is so absurd I'm back to losing some respect for CMEverb.

Makes me wonder what my completely original, excellent condition '74 is worth.

Curt could fix that. Just sayin'.

This reminds me of a guy who would come out to a monthly jam I'd attend with some buddies. He had a very pointy Ibanez metal type guitar that I recall being white in color. One time he came out with it and we noticed he had cut off the top front bout about half way. The next month it was all the way off with duck tape over it. Then the bottom front bout was cut off a month later. After that the back top was cut off. Each time, there was duct tape put over the cut off section, we guessed to smooth over the rough edges. It was amusing to see it reduce in size on a monthly basis. It ended up sort of like this specimen, a cut up remnant of it's former self.

It's a complete wreck, even the neck is warped, it has a back bow. It's back bowed enough to need heavy guage strings to be playable. I think we're being punked! It's obviously a dumpster dive find, after a dumpster fire that was put out with a few hundred gallons of water!

– kc_eddie_b

You can buy a new Nash guitar in practically as bad shape and save a few bucks.

I will say I am not a fan of the relic parts guitar phenomenon yet I myself bought a Nash Jazzmaster recently and it sounds/plays great.

Register Sign in to join the conversation