Other Equipment

WTB: Shin Ei Wah-Hurricane-Siren-Surf Pedal

Who has one of these that they want to part with for a modest price? Or perhaps another pedal with a siren effect on it?

I have one, but not willing to let it go at this point.

It's the ultimate cheese machine. The one thing I don't like about these pedals is that typically the wah circuit is almost always wired in reverse-- that is to say, pedal all the way up = treble, pedal all the way down = mud-- exactly opposite of how Vox, Dunlop and Morley pedals work. Needless to say, there is a learning curve to effectively use the wah function.

It's a truly bizarro piece of kit-- made in a time when the fledgling Japanese guitar market was still searching for a path to success. The siren and pink noise generator ("hurricane/surf") are pretty neat in a quaint sort of way, but still super cheezy for real-world applications. Siren is good for the intro to REO's "Riding the Storm Out" or Kiss' "Firehouse", but that's about it.

I have actually gigged with it on one or two occasions, but mostly I hang onto it as a relic of another time. Good luck in your search-- prices on these things have gotten unnecessarily stupid in recent years, I bought mine 10 years ago when they were still cheap.

I had one of these as a teenager. I haven't seen another one (even in print or online) since. You're making me nostalgic!

They don't make nostalgia like they used to!

Had one in the 70s. Lost it when I was a stoner student.....if I had a rubber leg, I'd kick myself.

I have one BUT Don't want to sell. I use it at the beginning of the song Squad Car. Gets EVERYBODy's attention. Pretty nicely built and versatile. I bought it on ebay a few years ago for $200.00 and found out the guy was a local so after winning bid he came over to have me test it out before I paid for it!

If you find one of these, I'll go to Pacoima to pick it up for you, but only if I get to try it out before sending it north.

One more thing, Bob-- please define "modest price" for this... less than $200? less than $100?

Also keep in mind that there are several versions-- essentially the same pedal, but under different names and configs. For example, some have side mounted controls, some have top mounted, and mine has front-mounted knobs. These were also sold under the "Hohner" brand for a brief period (I'm pretty sure that mine is Hohner branded).

To make things even more confusing, but perhaps at the same time making it easier to find one, here is a whole list of variants of the same pedal sold under different brands and marques--

Link

If you find one of these, I'll go to Pacoima to pick it up for you, but only if I get to try it out before sending it north.

– giffenf

That's a deal, Frank! You will always be my trusted agent when I am buying gear.

One more thing, Bob-- please define "modest price" for this... less than $200? less than $100?

Also keep in mind that there are several versions-- essentially the same pedal, but under different names and configs. For example, some have side mounted controls, some have top mounted, and mine has front-mounted knobs. These were also sold under the "Hohner" brand for a brief period (I'm pretty sure that mine is Hohner branded).

To make things even more confusing, but perhaps at the same time making it easier to find one, here is a whole list of variants of the same pedal sold under different brands and marques--

Link

– Tartan Phantom

Rob, I have a line on one at the moment. Thanks for the link. And, by modest price, I meant something other than the stupidly expensive price that some people have attached to this pedal (like $250, etc.). It is an older pedal, and I am confident that there are better wah pedals out there than this one. But, this one has the siren on it!

Blimey! I'm going to dig out my Colorsound fuzz-wah-swell pedal and see if I can find a buyer. Just found they're fetching a good price

Rob, I have a line on one at the moment. Thanks for the link. And, by modest price, I meant something other than the stupidly expensive price that some people have attached to this pedal (like $250, etc.). It is an older pedal, and I am confident that there are better wah pedals out there than this one. But, this one has the siren on it!

– Ric12string

Your confidence that there are better wah pedals can be confirmed by my personal experience! The wah on this thing is like a rightie playing a left-handed guitar.

Still, that doesn't take away from the novelty and pure fun of these goofy little stompers.

So, Rob, tell me why one couldn't simply spin the pedal around 180° so that it would work just like a more traditional wah pedal?

I thought about that, but it's partly an electro-mechanical issue with how the pot is mounted. I looked at the schematics (which are thankfully pasted to the inside of the bottom case panel), and it might be possible to reverse-wire the pot-- however, not sure how this would affect the volume pedal function. Can't remember if the volume function works in reverse or not. Someone with better electronics-smarts than me could probably figure it out. I never bothered because it's not an essential piece of gear for my rig.

When I see these types of pedals I always wonder what my Mutron III Phase shifter with electrical plug in would fetch?? It's works, is pretty pristine for a pedal used in probably 500 gigs in the early 70's and I haven't used it except to see if it still works, in decades.

That wah / siren / surf thing is interesting.

I actually picked up one of these on eBay for $100. (My first ever eBay transaction.) I should have it in a week or two and will see just how cool that siren feature really is.

"These were also sold under the "Hohner" brand for a brief period (I'm pretty sure that mine is Hohner branded)." -Tartan Phantom

That's interesting because I've seen some Garnet branded Shin Ei pedals, and there were Garnet/Hohner amps for a brief time.

http://www.garnetamps.com/b...

Quite daring if I do say so myself!

eBay for the first time...I think I am at 4 transactions now. And 2 were bogus.

Quite daring if I do say so myself!

eBay for the first time...I think I am at 4 transactions now. And 2 were bogus.

– Twangmeisternyc

Your own experience is what has kept me off eBay. If I am scammed on this one, it fortunately won't bring down my house of cards. And the upside is that, if it is legitimate, I will have a cool pedal to show for it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation