Other guitar-y things

who makes headstock decals ?

I might need a simple one for a project coming up...

Paul Setzer here on The Pages,

Karl

Hey I knew him for other types of things but will get in touch. We don't see him round here much.... these days

If you can’t get a hold of Paul and you have an ink jet printer you can do it yerself.

I made a bunch of band swag using the decal paper/printer method.

hey powdog, what's your recommended medium for the actual decal stock?..can you get specific? appreciated

cheers

I think I used the Avery stuff. I’ll look and see if I can’t find the box. I just sized the art in Photoshop and printed it up. After drying, spray the whole sheet with two coats lacquer and let it dry (I use Deft). Then cut to size and shape with an Exacto knife, soak in water for 30 seconds and slide it on. You can press or dab lightly with the corner of a paper towel to get any air bubbles out. Works like a charm. I’m about to do it with some wind and waterproof lighters.

Ethan, How did you get the white areas? I have seen white paper and clear paper - so you are either a master at trimming, or have a printer with white ink? Or am I missing something?

Yup. A friend made me a Super Fuzz clone pedal with his own graphics the same way and it turned out very professional looking. IIRC he used some more clear coats after putting the decal on.

Ethan, How did you get the white areas? I have seen white paper and clear paper - so you are either a master at trimming, or have a printer with white ink? Or am I missing something?

– JBGretschGuy

They make clear paper and white paper, for light and dark applications respectively. I discovered that the hard way. Same thing for iron on transfer ink jet paper. I also trim with surgical grade scalpels. Really sharp. Same thing I use when applying Tolex. You can usually find some of my blood under the Tolex.

hey powdog, what's your recommended medium for the actual decal stock?..can you get specific? appreciated

cheers

– neatone

No box, but there is a website on the packaging.

Rothko and Frost make excellent custom water slides.

I've used decal paper too. Neat trick - if you print it in reverse, you can paint on colors. If you do this, add a squeeze of wood glue to the water mix, and it'll help the decal stay attached to the headstock.

End result on guitar. The gold paint is Testor's model car paint, nothing fancy.

No box, but there is a website on the packaging.

– Powdog

thanks so much!

cheers

Second on Rothko and Frost. I've used them on a couple of projects.

Register Sign in to join the conversation