Other Equipment

Who Has This Gear That Can Testify About It?

The BodyRez Acoustic Enhancer by TC Electronics

Here is the blurb about this product, including a video demo

So a very dear friend and former bandmate of mine has been raving about this product. He tells me that I need one. I am not so sure about it, so I am looking to hear the remarks of anyone who has one.

What is it? I'm not sure, but it appears to be a pedal which has a scooped EQ profile along with compression. It purports to be best suited for acoustic guitars that use a piezo pickup. Well, therein lies some of the problem for me. My primary acoustic guitar uses a Dana Bourgeois pickup that blends a mic and a piezo. So, I would be curious about how it sounds with a mic? Does it muddy things up?

I also use the Fishman Aura Spectrum preamp and image system. I am wondering how it would sound with one of them or whether they would somehow conflict and the benefits of the Aura Spectrum get lost (which I would hate because I think that my D-28 sounds just right through it)?

There must be some kind of notch filtering in this device because you are able to select and suppress feedback at various bands of frequency.

Your thoughts would be valued...

String Swing Guitar Case Rack

Over the years, I have managed to accumulate more guitar cases than I have closet space for. I happened to be looking at Musician's Friend today and saw this free-standing storage device which allows cases to be stood up neatly where presumably they are relatively secure.

At $60, it seems like a pretty high price for as little wood as you get with the product; on the other hand, if it solves a problem with a bunch of cases in a music room, then perhaps it is worth spending on.

Does anyone have this product? If so, do you like it? Is it relatively sturdy? The reviews of it are generally positive with some stating that the finish on them is surprisingly nice. Others have said that a Fender-style rectangular case doesn't stand in it very well except if bookended by other traditional-style cases.

Again, I would love to hear your thoughts about this if you have one...

Bob, just a suggestion, why not ask your friend if you could borrow his pedal for a few days and try the pedal for yourself ?

Oh, I definitely am going to do that, Brent. However, he uses it regularly playing out, so taking it off his board will have to be done at the opportune moment.

I have a couple of (fairly obvious) ideas about checking out the BodyRez pedal.

Have you tried a search on acousticguitarforum dot com ? There might be some good info there.

TC Electronics has a booth at NAMM and you could ask questions about your specific concerns, assuming you can wait that long. I know someone who used to work for TC and she hopefully will be at the show. She works for Roland/Boss now.

The guitar rack looks pretty flimsy to me and I don't think it can butt up to a wall, because the cases are kept at an angle. The amount of floor space is larger than the picture suggests. A set of end rails and possibly a couple of dividers might make it more useful, too.

For the stand, Bob, why not just get a piece of timber (or anything) long enough to lay along the floor? Then lean the guitar cases against the wall with the timber piece underneath them, providing a constant mechanical angle.

Ric, here in the UK this guy makes bespoke case stands. I'd suggest you have a chat to a furniture maker locally and get something bespoke made and support all forms of the arts.

I have the Rez and am mostly underwhelmed. I really hate piezos, so anything is an improvement, but it still is not acoustic equivalent.

Or you could sell some guitars.

That case stand looks rickety, and like it has a potential to fall over backwards. You could DIY one cheaper and with a better design.

Or you could sell some guitars.

– JimmyR

Hey Jimmy, just whose side are you on anyway?

I have the Rez and am mostly underwhelmed. I really hate piezos, so anything is an improvement, but it still is not acoustic equivalent.

– Opie

So, this is helpful because it is a real life review.

Tell more, if you would... What guitar are you using it with? What pickup? Is there anything else in the signal chain that it is fighting with?

How did it help the guitar's tone? In what ways did it leave you wanting more?

Is this something that an EQ pedal and a compressor would also do?

So, this is helpful because it is a real life review.

Tell more, if you would... What guitar are you using it with? What pickup? Is there anything else in the signal chain that it is fighting with?

How did it help the guitar's tone? In what ways did it leave you wanting more?

Is this something that an EQ pedal and a compressor would also do?

– Ric12string

I'm using a guild with K&K Trinity system through a PA. The bridge piezo sucks, like all I've used. To unnatural and quacky. The three position piezo under bridge is much better, as is the internal mike, which is the combo I usually use. The Rez does nothing more than a combo equalizer and phaser could do. Again, not what I'm personally after. I dream of a natural acoustic sound and feel, just louder. If I had nothing but a bridge piezo I would probably use the Rez as it is better than nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Bob, I used to gig regularly with my sitar using a FRAP (Flat Response Audio Pickup) transducer through a Fender Champ. The FRAP could get lots of different tones depending on where on the body of the instrument I placed it, but even the best sounding spot failed to capture the full sound of the instrument with an even balance.

A friend (whom we know here as Rhythmisking) loaned me his MXR 10-band graphic equalizer, and that did the trick. I was able to minimize some frequencies and boost others to get the right balance of shimmer and fullness. Since the sitar had 22 strings, I can't help thinking you should be able to dial in a pleasing tone on a six string acoustic guitar.

A good EQ can work wonders---or cause nightmares. It is the ultimate tone control. I've used a lot of 1/3 octave units which are great for fixing that one troublesome note. You just have to be judicious when using them.

I have the TC Electronics Play Acoustic pedal shown here. It's designed to provide effects and EQ for both guitar and vocal inputs, making it a great box for my acoustic solo gigs. The guitar part has the "Body Rez" feature. It even has a looper! My acoustic is a home built dreadnought (solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides) with an LR Baggs I-Beam pickup with active preamp.

The Body Res can be dialed in for your guitar and, overall, enhances the guitar's sound through some fancy EQ. I also add a little reverb with my acoustic sound to provide some air. But the best part about this pedal is the vocal part. Vocal effects and harmonies galore! It's really great fun going through all of the 150+ vocal harmony/effect settings, and I would recommend this pedal on the strength of that alone. The only minor negative is that it doesn't have an on/off switch (why did you do that TC Electronic??).

There are a lot of things out there to plug acoustic/piezos into; from DI boxes and buffers to acoustic focused pedals , as above. There are even amps for them.Link I personally get the most pleasure from my Fishman piezo, running it into clean channels through bass amps or P.A. with 15 in speakers. EQ s are definitely your buddy. Kinda sounded crappy through my guitar amp w/12'' speaker till I plugged an old EH clone theory in between guitar and amp. Just plugged it in, didn't use it. Kinda buffered it. Strange thing. I've used piezo toy speakers as pickups beneath bass bridges and EQ can get me where I want (like sawing off the finger noise in the upper frequencies or fattening up some mid beef).

Register Sign in to join the conversation