Other Equipment

What’s your record for playing the same set of strings?

I am now over a year on a set. They still feel goid, stay in tune, and sound fine. Never had this happen before.

I cant bring myself to change them.

Its like seeing how far you can still drive with the fuel light on.

My Precision Bass same set of flat wounds 28 years, I still like the sound so I'm not changing them.

Thomastik Infeld strings easily last a year with intermittent playing, not a whole lot of bending or Bigsby.

I think a couple of the herd may well have gone 2 years without any noticeable difference.

The key to T I Strings is to let them stretch out naturally, they then take their set such that tuning problems are greatly minimized...always at the edge of plastic/inelastic.

I usually start a 1/2 step flat, play there a while before final draw up to Standard Tuning...

Austrian Metallurgy is quite historic.

I used to play Ernie Balls. When I was gigging regularly, I would often change the strings a couple of times a week. Now, I have quite a few more guitars (and fewer gigs), and I have been playing Pyramids and T.I.s. My Jazzmaster has had a set of Blues Sliders on it for six months, with no noticeable loss of brightness or tuning issues.

I got well over 3 months out of my last set of Elixirs, but I play 4 - 6 hours, mostly unplugged, a day every day. I'm retired so I have that option, my wife thinks I'm obsessed with my Gretsch guitar. I don't agree, nor do I think anyone here would agree!

Well, years for sure - especially on a Yammer fretless bass with nylon tapewound strings, which have never been changed - so at least 20-some years. Maybe as long on a Godin Acousticaster delegated to sit-around noodle duty (but which isn’t seriously played for sound).

It’s easy to leave strings on for waaay too long when you have Too Many Guitars. Failing to change them doesn’t really qualify as neglect, but clearly one doesn’t pretend the guitars don’t NEED a change.

Still, I don’t know if I can beat 28 years, so I’m out!

Other brands of strings are fine, but nothing lasts like T I...

I'll change "plains" if I notice any tuning or intonation issues. It only takes a hint of frustration for me to want to change strings!

I restrung both the Kay's yesterday with T I JS111 on Barney, BB111 on the Thin Twin.

I checked my log, the Byrdland was last strung with T I JS111 Thanksgiving Weekend 2016. I have played it at least 2 hours in the last 2 weeks...need reason yet to change, but it's close.

My "log" is to date the insert from the pack of strings with a Magic Marker, and leave that in the case. Been doing that since 2004 when the size of the "collection" got away from me.

I used to change them before each gig. Now I prefer to take a spare guitar in case of string break....but that doesn't happen now, and I blame PROTEUS! and his damn fine bridges! They used to break over the bridge. Now I have faith that it's rare. Cheers Tim!

Excellent! I'll have to add "reduces string breakage" to the Bullet Points of Wonderfulness list.

Thankyou sir.

20 years. Bought a Cort JC67 in 1998 and sold it this year. The strings that came with the guitar never were changed during the whole time I owned it. The were old but still sounded good but just were mellow sounding.

On the Silver Jets, new strings every forth show. But the strings on my Strats don't sound right until about the fifth year. Long scales seem not to care as much.

I read years ago that Robbie Krieger didn't put a new set on his SG through the entirety of the Doors' career. (Which would have been...maybe 5 years?) Just replaced breakages.

12 years,according to the pack the last time i changed them was 2006,i also put the date on them when i change.

Excellent! I'll have to add "reduces string breakage" to the Bullet Points of Wonderfulness list.

Thankyou sir.

– Proteus

So true! Strings would usually break over bridge saddles 9/10 times. I try playing lighter these ways, busting strings=bad technique. But honestly, I don't ever break strings on the bridge ever.

I know Brian setzer's tech has to be sneaky about string changes, he hates new strings. I like old strings unless they're dead or rusted

I usually leave them on a long time.
I think the Tele that I play all the time has had them on there for two or three years now. Often it's a few years but some guitars I hardly play have had them on there for at least 10 years and they sound fine.

I have dry hands and my strings don't seem to suffer much. And I also like strings to be a bit older. But I do tend to change them more regularly in periods that I play live more often.

Deke Dickerson told me once he never changes strings. He only puts a new string on because he has to because a string breaks.

I have had the same strings on my "Way Out West" Americana since I bought it, over 10 years ago.

I have a set TI JS110's that have been on my DSW for over 2 years and still stay in tune and sound pretty good. I can tell that they are not sounding quite as good, they will get changed this winter.

I've probably had my strings on my BST for over 25 years. I rarely play it, though.

I'm with Deke!

K

I feel like I had the same set of TI Flats on my Jaguar the entire time we had the surf band.

Maybe as long (as 20-some years) on a Godin Acousticaster delegated to sit-around noodle duty (but which isn’t seriously played for sound).

- said me

Well, shame on me. This thread on old dead strings inspired me to put new strings on the Godin (a first-year Acousticaster "LR Baggs" model from 1988). It's really a great little acoustic-electric, with a straightforward spruce-over-mahogany hollow Tele body, 25.5" scale all-maple neck, and an acoustic bridge/saddle with 3 LR Baggs piezo elements under each string and active EQ for each band.

As it's the perfect volume (and compact size) for un-amplified practice, it's sat out behind my "office" desk for ... 20-some years, and probably hasn't been gigged since 1999 or 2000 when my "acoustic world music trio" finally admitted it was a sort of rock band and I went back to electric guitars.

The Acousticaster has a great neck, very comfortable to play, fits the body like a Tele, but weighs about 5 lbs. The control panel is a little primitive and ugly (Godin wasn't big on slick cosmetics early on) - and would get handsomer on later models - but it works, and is what it is.

But it's probably been played more over the past 20 years than any other single guitar I own, as I do more playing behind the desk throughout workdays and when GDP-ing than anywhere else. (It has the fretwear, neck-finish wear, and body dings to attest.) So it hasn't really been fair to a nice guitar (or me) to leave it with dog-dead strings for so long.

It's always an open question whether to treat it like an electric guitar and give it nickel-steel strings, or an acoustic and go with some bronze variant. Last time it was steel, so long ago I hadn't yet started putting string packs in the case with the date. I put a micrometer on them, and they appeared to be 11-49.

This time I thought I'd admit it's an acoustic guitar. I happened to have a set of Martin Flexible Core SP (MFX130) Silk & Phosphor, 11-47. I put those on, and the guitar is reborn. They're bright and acousticky enough, but also mellow and nicely low tension - because when I'm reclining in the chair and noodling, I'm looking for low effort. (Also to baby along my continuing left-hand tendonitis.)

I've done writ a lilting pensive new instrumental with it. (Which I should record before I forget it.)

So I'm just saying. While we're bragging about how long we've neglected this instrument or that, let's drag one out and treat it to new wire. Bet you'll be glad you did.

Register Sign in to join the conversation