Other Equipment

What to know about buying an Echoplex?

Vertical

Good luck with the echoplex. I've oft been tempted but the rare times I have seen them, I didn't have the cash.

JImmy Page is so cool!

The secret to Leslies is that the bass rotor turns one direction, and the HF horn turns the other. They should be located in a corner to get the reflected sound off of the walls as well as the direct sound from the speaker. The interplay of direct and reflected sound, and the resultant mix is what makes the magic. It's also damned near impossible to mike them properly in a live situation. It's an effect that can't be truly recreated electronically.

That's similar to all amplifiers/speakers in spaces. One hears the amplifier interacting with the environment which is hard to replicate, which is why mike placement in recording can be critical . I use one of these (lately the vertical yamaha one) live at every show and only place it so it's off on the echo side of my amp and pointed a little at me. I can hear it doing it's thing. I use it slow all the time (slight chorus)with some forays into fast for particular songs. I share Otter's appreciation of electro-mechanical sound effects

I share Otter's appreciation of electro-mechanical sound effects

Let's not limit it to tape echo and Leslies then. How about the Telray echo, or the DeArmond tremolo? I'd love to try them all.

ooo I learned something! That's a pretty Jules Verne Tremelo!

Very cool! Now I want one. Though I do have a really nice old sewing machine motor complete with foot pedal. hmmm

The Hughes and Kettner replex sounds the closest to an echoplex to my ears. There are a couple things I find problematic about the design, but it nails the sound, right down to being able to dial in how old you want the tape to sound.

Interesting, I've never seen that one. Has anyone used the Dunlop Echoplex pedal?

What you need to knowis that tape cartridges are hard to find, very overpriced, and often have the wrong kind of tape in them. The early solid-state models sound a lot better than the tube models...unless you like the coloration as an effect.

Interesting, I've never seen that one. Has anyone used the Dunlop Echoplex pedal?

– Otter

Yes, and I was very enthousiastic at first, because for my ears, they really nailed the specific sound and feel of the repeats of an echoplex. And then after a while, the "modulation" or whatever they want to call it started getting on my nerves. You can't turn it off, and it sounds too much like a cheesy 80's chorus pedal.

I share Otter's appreciation of electro-mechanical sound effects

Let's not limit it to tape echo and Leslies then. How about the Telray echo, or the DeArmond tremolo? I'd love to try them all.

– Otter

I remember a thread here years ago where someone was building one.

Yes I believe Jayce Mumford was building one. Never heard if he finished...

The Hughes and Kettner replex sounds the closest to an echoplex to my ears. There are a couple things I find problematic about the design, but it nails the sound, right down to being able to dial in how old you want the tape to sound.

– spike

This is funny. I'm sure the mentioned unit is good but I've never understood the desire to have an old tape sound. I always replace mine with some regularity and never enjoy them when they start to sound bad. It's like warble, I don't want that either, it just means it's not working properly.

Not talking about yourself but it seems like people get hung up on how these units sound when they're neglected and ill-serviced, probably because many of them are.

I use Roland RE-150 Space Echos which have 'stereo' function and I use tape from old 8 track tapes (unopened if I can get them) which are back lubricated like the original tape. I re-used some Guy Lombardo recordings for a while.

What an awesome thread. I’ve actually read all of the posts.

In the 80s I owned a Boss DM3. I loved echo and was so fascinated by the sounds I heard from the rockabilly records I had. Getting an Echoplex was just a natural progression as the tone I heard and grew to love was from tape.

I’ve got a very good source who rewinds tapes. He’s a cork sniffing tape freak. Only uses vintage NOS tape to rewind cartridges. He’s just redone my EP1. It’s really amazing. If anyone ever needs a quality rewind please let me know.

Here’s my gratuitous echoplex photo. On left is one of the very first “brown box” EP1. They made a purported 20 or so of these. These were the very first ones. The circuitry is different from the one on the right. The green one on the right is a proper early EP1. The tonal difference between to two is pronounced.

If anyone wants to hear some clips please dial in my Instagram page. My use name is simply gasmoney. I have a lot of fun clips with my various old Gretsches being played with my echoplexes.

Keep pickin.

Thanks Fred. I've enjoyed your videos on Instagram. I don't suppose you want to donate your spare Echoplex to a lonely geologist in Mississippi?

One thing to remember is that these are around 50 years old. All of the capstans and rollers will be hard, and the caps might all need to be changed. Some parts might be impossible to find.

I'm resourceful and I have access to a machine shop and a 3D printer :)

– Otter

My fd had one but then bought a clinch audio which he said is a lot closer to the ep-3 he use to have (memory only comparison)

But the ClinchFx is meant to be faithful in design and has a has a charge pump PS to run it at 23v.

Chase Tone also make one and a company called Orbit. Orbit also make something called the psychoplex. (Ep-3 and analog delay) You can hear Gasmoney Fred demo this on YouTube . I think as analog delay rolls off the bottom frequencies and tape the top as repeats fade it’s hard to compare

FYI, Reel to Reel tape recorders are cheap on eaby, and they sound a lot better.

Register Sign in to join the conversation