Other Equipment

Tuner Pedal for Stage… What’s your favorite?

Polytune. Used to have the pedal version. Now I mostly use the clip on version. I'm just really used to it, and it's small and easy to carry on. Getting older makes me like what is easy small and light weighted better than anything.

+2 for the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. Loved it so much, I bought 2 of them. I had the Polytune and hated it. The 'check all 6 strings' option was slow and inaccurate. It would show a string out of tune, but when I checked the single string, it was fine. I didn't have time for that when the rest of the band was off and playing the next song.

YYMV. Perhaps the Polytune will do what you need.

Nothing wrong with the tried and true BOSS , its bomb proof and works every time ,well except when that cheesy little grommet wears out and then youre screwed. Easy to replace the grommet though.

The Snarks are great, have the face on the rear of the headstock and no one knows its there. Great for acoustic and electrics when youre not plugged in. I bought when when they fist came out and the batteries still work to this day.

original Polytune. it's more accurate than most and easily visible.

Ultimately, I went with the Pitchblack for several reasons. 1, was the PolyTune has some latency issues because of it's polyphonic ability. I have the clip on version and have experienced the latency first hand. 2, the display on the Korg is a little bigger/brighter. I actually went with the special edition of the PitchBlack as the display is even bigger, and I got a cool red custom color. I appreciate everyone chiming in with their opinion on clip-on tuners, but as someone said earlier in the thread, it messes up and otherwise beautiful headstock. For stage, with a live band, I prefer to have all of my pedals on the floor.

My guitars tune themselves. I put RoboTuners on every single one of them and it's the best invention since the digital Kemper amp.

– sascha

Do you find that they have trouble tracking in a live situation? The GForce setup came on my Les Paul. The first time I tried to use it live, the tuners went nutty due to the background noise. I had to wrench them by hand. It takes a good amount of force and one of the keys crackedI ended up installing Klusons. FWIW, the Polytune clip is supposed to work better in noisy environments. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Do you find that they have trouble tracking in a live situation? The GForce setup came on my Les Paul. The first time I tried to use it live, the tuners went nutty due to the background noise. I had to wrench them by hand. It takes a good amount of force and one of the keys crackedI ended up installing Klusons. FWIW, the Polytune clip is supposed to work better in noisy environments. Haven't tried it myself yet.

– mugsy

I was just talking tongue-in-cheek, Jer. I love my guitars as they are and have no experience with neither the robo-tuners nor the Kemper amp.

The Pitchblack Advanced is amazing. Just used it for the first time last night. The slant of the pedal, along with the HUGE display, and utilizing large LED (think big ol alarm clock numbers) makes it the best tuner I've used on stage ever. Love it.

I was just talking tongue-in-cheek, Jer. I love my guitars as they are and have no experience with neither the robo-tuners nor the Kemper amp.

– sascha

Ha! I wondered as much... but didn't want to ask in case you weren't

– sascha

Ha! I wondered as much... but didn't want to ask in case you weren't

– sascha

Ha! I wondered as much... but didn't want to ask in case you weren't :)

I don't like to put a tuner in series with the guitar, but then I don't use pedals either. If you do, I suppose it doesn't matter. My amps have tuner outputs.

Any particular reason Billy? Is it just the buffer? Or something else?

Intellitouch Clip-on.

The tuner built into my Sure wireless guitar system.

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner Mini. Absolutely.

Dunno about Pitchblack, there were WAY too many options when I shopped it.

The couple times I played with the PolyTune I was seriously underwhelmed. The poly tuning seemed a pointless gimmick, and the compromised tracking put me off.

I just replaced my 15-year old Boss TU-2 (which was mostly satisfactory) with the Sonic Turbo mini, and am way more than pleased. Guitar has NEVER sounded better in tune. Much less fighting with myself over the B and G strings.

Best tuner I ever used, and I'm happy to support a smaller company with superior tech.

Korg Pitch Black Mini. Super easy to see display, very well thought out in terms of what it does to show flat, sharp, in tune. There are multiple display graphic options; some of the settings ("strobe" etc) are a little too much for me, but to each their own and the ability to choose the type of display that is best for you is super cool.

I haven't tried it in screaming bright sunshine, so I can't say anything about that, but otherwise it's excellent.

Has anyone tried the newer D’Adddario pedal tuner??

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner - ST200 is what I use

I have a Peterson strobo stomp but I prefer my old silver Korg DT10.

I love my Sonic Research ST-200 Mini (I think it's called the ST-300?) but... It's SO accurate that it's touchy. For gigs, I'd prefer to have something that's "close enough" but faster. The Polytune is next on my list.

Nothing with leds instead of a needle. Tuners without a needle gauge are too slow and hard to use. Also, I don't like to run my guitar through a tuner because it degrades the signal. I still use a Boss 12H, and I plug it into the second input of most amps. The amps I build have separated tuner outputs.

Register Sign in to join the conversation