Other Equipment

Thomastik Flatwounds or Pyramids???

What would you chose? I have gone back and forth between flatwounds and rounds on my Fender Jazzmaster and I know from going back and forth that I prefer flats on my Jazzmaster. I am not ever going back to rounds on that guitar, so I think but right now I have .11s on it and want to mosey on up to .12s.

What would you chose, TI (Thomastik) or Pyraminds? I have Thomastiks on it now, .11s Swing series. I hear Pyramids are the true flatwounds from the '50s and '60s but how much different are they. I actually did research reading posts at the Surf 101 forum and the Offset Guitar forum, just to get more confused. What's your take on this?

Thanks ...

I have used both over the last 5-6 years. I prefer Thomastic-Infelds (Jazz Swings) over Pyramid Golds. I've had more "quality" problems with Pyramids -- wound strings going dull quickly (less than a month). In that price range, they should last a LOT longer than a month. Not every string or every set -- but just often enough to conclude that I should stay with T-I's.

Thanks for the info. Due to your experience and based on what you say I am going to stick to T-I strings. I am moving up from .11 to .12 though on my Jazzmaster.

Thanks!!!

Pyramids were the first "premium" brand I used coming back to flat wounds. I heard of the T-Is here and I have to say that T-Is are superior IMHO. They are supple, sound alive and last fairly well. I have them on all my arch top electrics. Thinkiing of trying them on my Fenders...

I have used both over the last 5-6 years. I prefer Thomastic-Infelds (Jazz Swings) over Pyramid Golds. I've had more "quality" problems with Pyramids -- wound strings going dull quickly (less than a month). In that price range, they should last a LOT longer than a month. Not every string or every set -- but just often enough to conclude that I should stay with T-I's.

– senojnad

This is exactly the same position that I take. I've bought Pyramids that had the windings loose on the third string right out of the package on two separate occasions. I have never had a bad set of T-Is and they last forever especially if you wipe them down. I've had a set on one of my guitars for almost two years and they still sound great with perfect intonation.

Thinkiing of trying them on my Fenders... - bman

I use them on my Jaguar and they sound superb. When I'm in the mood to play what little jazz I know, my Jaguar is my guitar of choice with the rhythm circuit and T-I JS110s.

I've used Thomastik Swing series 11s on my Gibson Tal and found them to be a great jazz set. I moved back to round wounds simply because I prefer the overall sound and feel of them. Still, I have no doubt that the TIs would be very difficult to improve on if flats are your thing.

BTW, don't be too surprised if you find 12s to be a little over the top comfort wise, if you are used to 11s. The added tension, especially in a flatwound, is definitely not insignificant...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but TIs are a lower tension than standard flats. I believe they use a thinner core and the flat windings are double wrapped over the core.

I tried "Pyramids" when they were first available out here and wasn't that impressed.

I paid quite a lot for them too ,,

I put them on my 67' Tenny and thought they were OK ,,, but after awhile, sort of one dimensional and kind of ,, stiff, bright?

Was glad to go back to round wounds?

I tried "Pyramids" when they were first available out here and wasn't that impressed.

I paid quite a lot for them too ,,

I put them on my 67' Tenny and thought they were OK ,,, but after awhile, sort of one dimensional and kind of ,, stiff, bright?

Was glad to go back to round wounds?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but TIs are a lower tension than standard flats. I believe they use a thinner core and the flat windings are double wrapped over the core.

– Hermitt

You are correct sir. T-I uses a very thin round core with the double wrappings making for a very easy on the fingers string with great tone.

Old topic, I know. I go back and forth between Thomastik and Pyramid but in the end Thomastik win. I think I will stick to Thomastik. I like the feel and tone better. Softer feel and smoother tone in my opinion.

Register Sign in to join the conversation