Other Equipment

This must come home to Riverside; the Strymon Riverside

Well, we don't know yet.

I think we're just willing to take it for a test drive before judging the mileage. If it doesn't perform, return to dealer.

– Proteus

Very true.

Well I hope it does sound better than a Barber OD because I haven't yet heard a Barber I like. I think Dave Barber seems like a good guy, he builds them well - they just sound awful to me. Thing about overdrive is that it seems so hard to get just right. That's why there are so many.

I used to think that amp overdrive was automatically superior to a pedal. In some cases that may be true - a cranked plexi is a wonderful sound to behold. Getting that sound at modern gig volumes is really difficult! These days I like to use a good pedal because I can get consistent results from gig to gig and not have to worry about upsetting sound guys. And for my particular sound preferences I find I can get a great sound from a pedal.

We all like different things. Doesn't make us wrong or right. Unless the thing we like is Miley Cyrus. Then it's wrong. Very wrong.

Surprised you don't like Barber ODs, Jimmy. My guitars sound pretty good through a Direct Drive.

The Strymon stuff usually is €350 over here, which makes $385. That decreases my interest in an overdrive. I love my Flint btw but you will have a hard time finding another pedal that does what it does at all.

Getting that sound at modern gig volumes is really difficult!

I hardly ever use an overdrive pedal - one song in the set where I need a little more crunch and some feedback, and that's it. For some other tunes where I need a hair more gain, I'll stomp on a little preamp pedal. (dunlop echoplex preamp)

I think it's mostly finding an amp that really works for your guitar, band dynamics, and the average size stage you play. Then you still have the option of putting higher or lower efficiency speakers in your amp, and all that put together did the trick. With the big hollowbody guitars, I've never been able to make the "amp = clean platform, drive from pedals" thing work, and I don't like it either. A lot more fun to have an amp that's giving up the goods.

The problem w that speaker efficiency thing, I love Vintage 30 celestions.. the way they responde w my gretsch, how the low end stays tight no matter how hard I hit the guitar and in general its sonic character from the specific cone, its doping and the magnet size. Its so perfect in the bassman cab.. yet these sound terrible in a combo amp and mehh in an open back cab. Nothing else comes close. IMO

so.. Lower gain overdrive pedals for texture that keep the clean signal at a 70% ratio at least, are really viable solution in this regard. In fact I am always looking at light drive pedals that improve my clean dynamics and put a bit of compression and texture on the top. If thats not something that can happen w this Strymon Riverside, then its just another one of those guitar pedal zinger machines I guess..just at a boutique quality.

fwiw.. I'm guessing pedal guys like myself, tend to play in bands that have to cover a wider variety of music styles.

I'm surprised I don't like Barber pedals! They always sound like something is broken inside to me!

Once I'm set up for a gig I don't change much stuff except pickup settings. So my OD is pretty much on for the whole gig. But it's not a fuzzy OD. I may as well be using the amp for OD - but this way I get better low string definition. I've never heard amp dirt sound as good as I can get with the right pedal and a clean(ish) amp. I need my twang, and need my bass strings to have some clarity.

This could all change if I find "the perfect amp" one day. We're all chasing that sound in our heads and we all find different ways of getting there. I love seeing how other players get their sound. I think it's funny how you can see some guy's rig and wonder how the sound he gets comes out of it...

One of the best live sounds I have ever heard was Brian Setzer with the Stray Cats a while ago when they toured our town. Such an incredible tone - but there is no way I could get that sound from his gear. He is a genius. And there is no way I could use that set up in the places I play.

Getting that sound at modern gig volumes is really difficult!

I hardly ever use an overdrive pedal - one song in the set where I need a little more crunch and some feedback, and that's it. For some other tunes where I need a hair more gain, I'll stomp on a little preamp pedal. (dunlop echoplex preamp)

I think it's mostly finding an amp that really works for your guitar, band dynamics, and the average size stage you play. Then you still have the option of putting higher or lower efficiency speakers in your amp, and all that put together did the trick. With the big hollowbody guitars, I've never been able to make the "amp = clean platform, drive from pedals" thing work, and I don't like it either. A lot more fun to have an amp that's giving up the goods.

– WB

Quoted because I'm listening to the new album, and whatever the method, it's working.

Absolutely stellar tones!

Why thank you! Album is mostly smaller amps - princeton reverb, non reverb, tweed deluxe clone, Pro Junior, my trusty old Dynacord amp, and Headstrong tweed bandmaster here and there, but with a THD power soak for recording. And plenty of outboard reverb and echoplex too!

Strymon is now taking "pre-orders". The price is $299.

Just saw that these are shipping out to customers..... Can't wait to hear some reviews from the GDP.

For the life of me I don't know why I just bought one but I did. I don't even like pedals.

For the life of me I don't know why I just bought one but I did. I don't even like pedals.

– CBell

Its like a tattoo Sir, you swear you'll only get one. and then youre a walking human side show ..I know hah.

One of the main reasons I like using a pedal for dirt is that I much prefer to have my delay after the dirt. I used to have a Fender Twin Reverb II which had a dirt channel and an FX loop, so I used the FX loop for the delay. Worked well, except then I worked out that the amp sounded awful.

Now that I make my own pedals and amps I tend to think of the pedal as almost being an extension of the amp. Different versions of pedals work with different amps, so I almost tune each pedal to an amp and guitar. What I'm doing is building a bunch of slight variations of a pedal I like and trying them to see what works with what. The whole exercise has really interesting. It makes me realise that every pedal sold is trying to be a "one size fits all" - and it has to be that way. Being able to tweak the EQ of a pedal to suit an amp and guitar just right has been a lot of fun, and for someone as anal as me a very fulfilling experience.

So many pedals cut the bass so as to avoid being too boomy or flappy. But then they just sound thin and artificial. Other pedals go too low and sound big but lose focus. Even pedals with a good range of EQ can have the bass pot range set too low for a particular amp and sound boomy. Being able to tweak the caps to get the treble just right and the lows big but tight is liberating.

Finding the right OD is a crap shoot. If you have a specific sound in your head it can take a long time to get happy. But once you do get the right fit it can be a wonderful thing.

Oh, and Walter - I like to have the amp almost giving it up! I use an amp which is just on the verge, then use the pedal to push it. So I'm not getting a lot of gain from the pedal. But it means my delays sound cleaner and it all sounds quite natural. I just seem to have a little more control that way.

We all like different sounds. Whatever works is good!

Mine delivered yesterday to my office in NJ but I'm home in CT. A friend picked it up and is trying it out, he is over the top thrilled with it, claims it is in a class by itself!

Mine delivered yesterday to my office in NJ but I'm home in CT. A friend picked it up and is trying it out, he is over the top thrilled with it, claims it is in a class by itself!

– CBell

Soooooooooooo, have you had a chance to try it out yet?

Nope, should get it tomorrow. The guy that has been using it for the last week or so will be going thru withdrawal symptoms I'm sure. He claimed it is in a league of its own and not "just like" any other pedal and that the tone controls are quite effective.

I was over at TrueTone and tried one out. It sounds good, but not $300 good to me. Now admittedly I was trying it with an off-the-rack Tele and no Brain enhancement, but it wasn't enough to make me want to spend that kind of money for another overdrive pedal. I'll go back with my guitar and try it with other amps and see if my first impression was accurate.

I was over at TrueTone and tried one out. It sounds good, but not $300 good to me. Now admittedly I was trying it with an off-the-rack Tele and no Brain enhancement, but it wasn't enough to make me want to spend that kind of money for another overdrive pedal. I'll go back with my guitar and try it with other amps and see if my first impression was accurate.

– giffenf

You have to play it w an amp loud enough that the pwr section in moving the speaker cone.. not worth a moments time through a tiny amp IMO. A real good test would be running it though one of those Tech21 liverpool w the spkr emulator on into a powered speaker cab! c'mon doooo it, dooooooo it

OK. I'll load up a crate-load of pedals for trading fodder and give it another go, allotting sufficient time to show its worth. I don't doubt it has the ability, Strymon stuff just plain sounds good. I just wasn't able to coax it out of the box on the first go-round.

All right already. Tricky Gomez and I spent a couple hours in a room with the Riverside and yes, after trading in about 5 other pedals, I've effectively moved to Riverside. Thankfully, the pedal, not the city.

All integrated, and sounds darn good with my rig:

I finally got the Riverside, check it out w the Mystery brain and my TK Smith tele https://www.instagram.com/p...

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

Man, that Mystery Brain sounds nice.

Register Sign in to join the conversation