Other Equipment

This must come home to Riverside; the Strymon Riverside

my El Capistan wants to lay down its burdens, down by the Riverside. my GAS is flamed again.

"Riverside’s continuously variable circuit tuning dynamically tweaks multiple parameters under the hood so that the sweet spot follows you at any gain setting. As you turn the Drive knob, Riverside makes continuous adjustments, tuning the circuit for optimum tone. This results in an incredibly versatile drive pedal that is equally capable of providing sparking cleans, mild overdrives, high-gain leads, and heavy saturated distortions."

http://www.strymon.net/prod...

Tavo, this looks VERY impressive! Have to say, I LOVE my Strymon ElCapistan and Flint! Their stuff is truly high quality (just like gear produced by your own self).

Riverside seems to be working its way towards GAS.....

I assume it will be priced like the others in the Strymon fleet ($299). I couldn't find any info on when it will be available.....???

Oh, say it isn't so! They make an overdrive? If it's anything like the El Capistan is for delay, I see a pedalboard reorganization in my future. They shoulda called it the TavoTown, though, because that's what I call Riverside. Not sure where it's going to fit, though, I guess there's some extra room on either side of the Soul Food, and I might be able to shoehorn it in there in its place. Might need to put a whole bunch of pedals on the block to fund this. Once I find out what it will cost. Looks way cool.

Yeah, if it lives up to True Stymonism, this could replace a couple pedals on my board.

HowEVer, the ONLY Strymon box that's failed me so far has been the OB-1 compressor - which was underwhelming at best. So when they leave the time domain, they have some convincin' to do.

Well I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the dirt on the Deco pedal, so this Riverside has potential. I am far from being a Strymon fanboy but I do like my Flint. Really disliked the Brigadier, couldn't hear what the fuss was all about with the El Cap, but have decided I do like the Timeline. I rarely use it though!

This one has piqued my interested though, so I will definitely give it a whirl when I get the chance. It might make good bookends for my Flint.

OK, I've heard from a pretty reliable source that Strymon isn't even taking orders from dealers until later this month or maybe next. But when they do, one of 'em's got my name on it. Hot dog.

Wow! I'm impressed by the Youtube demos, especially because it's not another "clone of (insert your favorite drive pedal here) + some mojo." The on-board "Favorite" switch is ultra-cool of them to include too.

I could see this being a lifesaver for session work. I'm a compressor junkie, so I'm curious as to how the "continuously variable circuit adjustments" play with that. It's definitely worth a demo at the local shop once they hit the streets.

Thanks for the knowledge, Tavo!

Oh boy, another compression junkie!

Compression is a monkey on my back as well - and I've been enjoying carrying it around for decades. I've rarely met one I didn't like, which is why it's significant that the Strymon OB didn't make the cut. I must have 10 on the floor (well, not all at once), and still can't wait to get my hands on a Keeley Comp Pro.

I'm in the extended final phases of re-jiggering what was once an analog studio down to a completely digital-based personal project operation. Of course literally all processing can be done in the box, via both the plug-ins that come with DAW of choice (mine is Digital Performer on the Mac, Auria Pro on the iPad) and endless aftermarket offerings, and they all do a great job. So there was no room in the new dispensation for two man-high racks of effects and other gear.

But some of that collection of decades I can't let go, and I've boiled it all down to a 12-space angled rack frame I can slide under the desk to save space. I spent woefully many hours yesterday down on the floor configuring and wiring it - and deciding finally what to keep. Ended up being two time-domainers (ancient Loft 450, Yamaha REV5000) and SIX compressors - two RNCs, two dBX 163s, a Joe Meek SC2.2, and a Rane DC24.

There's still a JBL-Urei in the off-pile I might decide to hang onto when Ebay time comes.

I'm a big Strymon Fan. I own an el Cap, BlueSky, Deco and a Flint. I lofe the time effects but I even dig the dirt on the deco, like others here.

The Riverside doesn't float my boat though. Perhaps i can't image what it would do on a gretsch as much as you guys but I expected more.."specific character". More "yeahh's"..more "oeh interesting"s...

oh btw, when it comes to compression; I love thr Wampler Ego. They just launched a mini version as well

I have an Ego and like it as well; it alternates into one of the compressor positions on my board. (Yeah, I don't need two, I know. Diseased.)

The little Xotic compressor never leaves the board; I've had the Diamond in the other slot for quite awhile. Something about it. It's not the most obviously compressor-y when I'm A-B'ing pedals, but it really works when I'm actually playing.

I'm not so much hoping the Riverside is unique and distinctive, as that it just replaces a couple others on the board. More "versatile," I guess.

And I do have a bad hanker for a Deco...

I agree with Lieven. I don't want an overdrive which just "fits the parameters"! So far from the demos I have heard the Strymon does sound perhaps a little bland.

But as always we have to try these things for ourselves. I was surprised at how good the dirt on the Deco was, so maybe this will surprise me too. My favourite overdrives are a bit ruder than the demos for the Riverside sound. I like a lot of punch and not too much compression from an OD. I love compression - when recording. But when doing the actual playing bit I want as little compression as possible.

I use the SP but like the Diamond better. It just won't fit on my board. Maybe my pedalboard needs a 2nd story. Or maybe use the mother of all loop switchers and stuff all the pedals into a rolling rack case. Or maybe just drink a case of Rolling Rock and turn the amp up loud. Hmm, gonna have to think about this a little.

Proteus-- we have CA (Compress-oholics Anonymous) group meetings here on Wednesdays if you're ever in need. My sponsor is a real stand-up guy. Ha!

Somehow I've managed to hone in on just one for the time being. It's not "pedal-snob" worthy, but the CMATMODS Deluxe Signa-Comp is so quintessentially "me" sounding. It I bought it on a lark for an inexpensive travel board and it kicked my Keeley off of the big board and on to Reverb.com.

+1 on the thought of replacing a few stompers on the board with a potentially versatile and adaptive piece like the Riverside though. Now that I'm singing and front-manning more than half of my gigs, anything to minimize the "tone tap dancing" is a net-positive.

Which Keeley did it kick? I had a cmatmods overdrive which didn't make the cut - what's special about his comp?

Also. MAN his graphics are ugly!

I find another potentially compelling Riverside feature: input for an expression pedal to continually morph between two settings. In some instances, that could eliminate tap-dancing.

Proteus--

The original 4-knob C4 Compressor. I used it for a few years after graduating from the BOSS CS-3. It was great, but the Signa Comp just "sparkles" a bit more than the Keeley ever did for me. Single note lines "punch" better in the mix with my rig. It's also more forgiving whenever I switch guitars too; I needed a cheat sheet for the Keeley to keep the best setting for each axe straight.

They're not pretty to look at, but I like 'em. I also have his Budda overdrive (supposedly his take on the Bluesbreaker/Morning Glory/Timmy) which is awesome with everything but my 6120. The jury's still out on whether they'll ever get along. Chad's always been awesome to me with customer service too, so I would buy worry free.

--||--

The exp. pedal feature does seem pretty rad. That with the built-in favorite switch might be a dangerous combo. Count me as officially curious enough to give it a spin.

DSP overdrive. Pass. :)

There are definitely great applications for what can be done with DSP now, but in an overdrive pedal is one place it doesn't interest me at all.

DSP overdrive. Pass. :)

There are definitely great applications for what can be done with DSP now, but in an overdrive pedal is one place it doesn't interest me at all.

– Dhdfoster

+1

I don't have the fascination with overdrive and distortion boxes most of the world seems to have in the first place, and a digital distortion box? I don't think so.

Ordinarily I'd agree with that sentiment. But Strymon has done remarkable DSP things in the time domain, so I'm willing to give this a shot. I like the tones I hear in the demos.

Also, it's a multi-stage device, and the first stage is analog (MOSFet). So.

1 if you havent experienced the emulation that the Sharc processors are capable of in a Strymon pedal, you really cant say "mehhh digital or dsp" ..cuz you dont know, yet.

Just like that stupid Quilter amp, its solid state.. sounds like solid state but its a GOOD sound, just different. Doesnt have to be an "old" sound. :)

So.. in the case of this new Strymon, they are going places that havent been challenged yet, using this type of processor that to my knowledge has not been used this way so far. (unlike the lame analog to digi converters and dsp of past methods)

You are getting an analog FET preamp like you would in any preamp but instead of the various analog clipping methods in a pedal, its digitally controlled. Who knows how it will sound and feel? I'm still excited to try it.

we'll see how it goes, no one knows yet.. :)

The Sharc processors that Strymon use are the industry standard for high-end digital mixing console manufacturers.

The Sharc processors that Strymon use are the industry standard for high-end digital mixing console manufacturers.

– audept

exactly!! In our Behringer X32 digi mixing console, the DSP technology employs Analog Devices Sharc AD21371 processors running 40-bit floating point maths, along with FPGA-based (Field Programmable Gate Array) ultra-low latency digital routing. The bottom line audio quality of this board in our system vs the old classic analog Allen & Heath board, is night and day nicer.

Oh, I’m sure the processor is plenty powerful, and amazing, and I’m sure it will probably sound quite good. But, using a SHARC to run DSP algorithms while digitizing your entire signal just for an overdrive pedal that goes in front of an amp seems like a solution in search of a problem. It’s not like good overdrive pedals are bulky, expensive, unreliable, finicky pieces of antiquated gear that make DSP look like a practical alternative. Delays, reverb, direct recording devices, definitely. An overdrive pedal? Really?

At $299, is it really going to sounds twice as good, or even as good, as something like a Barber ½ Gainer, Tone Pump, or Burn Unit?

IMHO, YMMV

Well, we don't know yet.

I think we're just willing to take it for a test drive before judging the mileage. If it doesn't perform, return to dealer.

Register Sign in to join the conversation