Other Equipment

There Must Be A Secret

I have all kinds of guitars with all kinds of finishes both old and new, and I have yet to figure out why only some finishes get damaged by hangers like on this photo. I just pulled this off its wall hanger and noticed the damage. I use this instrument fairly often so its not like its been hanging up too long, maybe 2 weeks at most. Its over 2 years old so the finish should be set I think. Any ideas anyone?

I've seen some people wrap white cotton rags around the rubber tubing on hangers in order to protect the finish.

I don't know what your hanger is made from or your finish. Some plastics will melt each other. (Like rubber worms in a fishing tackle box. ) my guess this is what happened.

Nitrocellulose lacquer never really cures, if you can smell it there's still solvent present.

The new UV finishes aren't adhering very well and are brittle. Fact is, the divers seat in your car wears out first because you use it, play on.

Huh, rubber worms in your tackle box, is that sexual?

I don't know what your hanger is made from or your finish. Some plastics will melt each other. (Like rubber worms in a fishing tackle box. ) my guess this is what happened.

– munman

– munman

If that's true why don't they make hangers that will not interact with finishes?

I've been using these Rubbermaid FastTrack hooks for about 2 years.

No issues with either the Laquer or Poly finishes yet. The laquer finish is over 60 years old, though ('51 Martin O-18).

– Curt

– Curt

Thanks for that image...

No issues with either the Laquer or Poly finishes yet. The laquer finish is over 60 years old, though ('51 Martin O-18).

– NJBob

– NJBob

Thank you, I'll look into those but I do have slatwall strips already in the walls. The foam on the hangers looks to be the same as on floor stands so I need to keep an eye on them too. Guess I'll look into cloth covers for the hangers as well.

i used these one's given by an old friend who was butcher.

No they are used to catch fish. Damn curt your a kinky dude. To much solvent? I never thought of worms when I think about sex. Just women. Good luck with your "fishing" trip. Or whatever trip your on.

Classic quote, Munman... 'I never thought of worms when I think about sex. Just women.'

Made me laugh.

Register Sign in to join the conversation