Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Greetings, and a NOGD!

Hey all, new to the forum here, so a little background info provided. Played bass professionally for 15 odd years, then switched to guitar. I collect, (my wife calls me "guitarded") rebuild, and play out occassionaly, having near 70 to choose from.

So I am a recent convert to the world of Gretsch, getting a modern 2622T Streamliner a few months ago, and loving it to bits. A few tweaks here and there, minor filing of the nut, and she plays wonderfully and perfectly in tune. BUT.... she's not an old Gretsch.... (sigh)

So a few days ago,. my wife and I were visiting Orlando FL, anniversary, and knowing one of my fav guitars shops is about 45 minutes away, packed up 4 guitars I just don't play, and headed out to see what I could trade for. An hour into shopping, which my wife is QUITE used too, I played a 67 SG Special, that wasn't special, a 135, a 335, then I saw her.....

Sitting in a corner behind an amp, was this poor neglected beastie: A 1965 Gretsch Viking. I laughed at it. It's been refinished, had pickups and bridge changed, had holes filled where pots, mute, and on/off switch were, and had been "bedazzled" by a young girl and sparkle paint. I struck a chord, and the heavens opened up, that perfect G chord resonated thru the heavens, and a beam of holy light came down to be reflected in purple sparkles. My wife's reaction was akin to.... "Are you F-ing kidding me? That has been run over by the truck that delivers the ugly sticks!!!" So of course, after some negotiations, she came home with me.

As we speak, I am in the process of adding the separate Vol controls, the electrical mute switch, and the 3 way tone switch. I will be adding a GFS Hot Nashville in the bridge, and replacing the "Fred" that's there now. She's an absolute joy to play, and over time, will be refinished.

Welcome to the GDP! Give that ol' git some love.

Fantastic find and welcome to the madness.

Welcome aboard to all things Gretsch (and more). Great find on the Viking.

I'm curious in the name of the store that's your favorite in Orlando. I live in Florida and always looking for stores to shop. Many thanks and congratulations.

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Heck of a collection you have there! Please show us some pics of the Viking when you're finished fixing it up. That purple is kind of appealing to me. Beats the hell out of yet another tobacco sunburst, which was the most popular finish for this model.

If you're looking for another vintage Gretsch, I know of a mint one a friend of mine has and he's in Florida. As he's mentioned to me, it's as near to exquisite as you can get in an old guitar. It's a beautiful semi-hollow body they didn't make a whole bunch of. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you his email address.

WRD, it's Jimmy's Vintage Music in Auburndale. (I think that's how you spell it.)

Windsordave, IF I had the money, I would consider it. I have discovered vintage Gretsch's tend to be expensive.

Everybody else, thank you for your warm welcomes!

Welcome and nice find.

So of course, after some negotiations, she came home with me.

The wife or the guitar? (Or both I hope!)

WRD, it's Jimmy's Vintage Music in Auburndale. (I think that's how you spell it.)

Windsordave, IF I had the money, I would consider it. I have discovered vintage Gretsch's tend to be expensive.

Everybody else, thank you for your warm welcomes!

– Badpenguin

Well, this one is quite reasonably priced, especially given its condition. Ah......you seem to have a lot of non-Gretsch solidbodies in your collection, and you can't play them all, so.......you could thin that part of your herd to generate some coin and consider the one I know of.

He's posted it for sale locally previously, and I posted the link here as well but it just never sold. As far as I know, it's not being advertised right now so it may well wait for you to unload a few things. From your wife, it would get the complete opposite reaction the Viking did when she saw it!

welcome to the GDP. congrats on getting the Viking. sounds as though you found a friend.

Welcome and congrats. I don't own one, but am a Viking fan.

Thank you Badpenguin. I've heard of Jimmy's Vintage Music but haven't been there yet. I think I remember they had a booth at the annual Orlando Guitar Expo. Many thanks.

Windsordave, I'm curious and interested in your friend's semi-hollow body Gretsch. For the life of me I can't figure what model that could possibly be unless it is a SuperAxe or Atkins Axe. I don't know how to send a private message with my email address so tell me how to do that?

Windsordave, I'm curious and interested in your friend's semi-hollow body Gretsch. For the life of me I can't figure what model that could possibly be unless it is a SuperAxe or Atkins Axe. I don't know how to send a private message with my email address so tell me how to do that?

– ewkewk

Your guessing is so hot you're almost on fire! Close but no cigar. Just click on my posting name and it'll show the link to send a PM. I'll be home this afternoon, heading to work now.

Congratulations!

I see this purple beauty is routed for humbuckers. I have a humbucker sized TV Jones Power'tron bridge pickup in nickel that I'm about to swap out of a solid body guitar if you're interested.

Register Sign in to join the conversation