Other Equipment

The oldest Tru-Arc™ is now 11 years old. No, OK, TEN years old.

I'm not sure when I got this one, natural relic and unstamped. Most of the time I have to convince people it's a Tru Arc.

Cool thing is it fits right in and there's no way you wouldn't think it wasn't OEM unless of course you know it should be a Space Control unit.

Man oh man, that derelict patina is superb.

Outstanding isn't it?

Channeling the dad from The Christmas Story, "You should see it from here"....

Huzzah, Herr Direktor! Here's to another 11 years, celebrated in 2030 . . . or something.

Congratulations, Tim, for a wonderful idea this has been well executed. And THANK YOU! Here's wishing you many more years of success!

Thank you (and your brother), Tim!. I'm grateful to have been on the sidelines witnessing greatness come to fruition.

Congrats Tim, and thanks for offering a fine product to the Gretsch community. I've had a few over the years, and I'm never disappointed. The only one I currently have is a brass, non-Serpentune, that's been on my 5120 for years. Like Curt's, mine is aging beautifully.

Man, those Brass ones look awesome as they age.

What have you done, man? Well you have created a great product that has changed the way we all look at, feel and play Gretsch and other guitars. Right is right and you've done well to make a whole lot of instruments RIGHT. I remember the excitement of getting my Falcon and coming to the Hoosier Daddy roundup with it and everyone just loved the way it played and felt and sounded but once I won the Glass Tru-Arc it was like the Icing on the cake. A cake that was already great but made better with even better icing. What a great accomplishment. Kudos to you and your team of builders. Tru-Arc's go to eleven!!!

Dang, guess that I've been missing the boat on bridges!

Seriously, congrats and thanks Tim, on a variety of outstanding products, and service.

My saying about Tru-Arcs...………………………………………….."Don't leave home without one, or two, or three."

Tim, that’s HUGE!!! Heartfelt congratulations to ya bud. I love mine, for sure. Gonna be ordering 7 more.

Well, what about a tenth anniversary model?

Congrats Tim!

Can't believe i only have one,on my 59LTV.

I've got a question for you Tim. How come we never saw any more of the Bullet style Tru-Arcs appear over the years? They caught my eye when they appeared years ago on the limited run, two-tone Blue 5120's from Rocky at Streetsounds.

I'm not sure when I got this one, natural relic and unstamped. Most of the time I have to convince people it's a Tru Arc.

Cool thing is it fits right in and there's no way you wouldn't think it wasn't OEM unless of course you know it should be a Space Control unit.

– Curt Wilson

I'm gonna let you borrow mine Mr Sodium, daaaayum. I cant get mine to stop looking so pimp krunk and its been a yr.

Louisiana was ready to pounce on Tru-Arc! The first one I bought is still on my 6122-1959, and that’s where it will stay. I remember that time period well. Everyone on the GDP was super-hyped about the opportunity to have a properly-radiused bar bridge. Proteus spawned a thread with pics of the bridges actually being produced and told a story. Fantastic stuff. Thanks for taking the reigns of proper bridge radius, and here’s to the next ten years!

As a result of this thread I took a few moments last night while playing my Duo Jet to especially admire the aluminum Serpentune bridge that has become as much a part of this guitar as the pickups, tuners and the Bigsby. It's just as beautiful as a highly functional work of art as the rest of the guitar is and Gretsch guitars are the pinnacle of functional works of art.

ironically I too pulled out the Spectrasonic to admire its Tim creation....only to discover that the stainless steel serpentune on it is freakin 14" radius!

Congratulations! I have to admit, that because I am a "cheap" so and so, I bought that other bridge first...and, it performs very well on my G5120...but when I got my G6118T, I knew I had to get "the real thing" and I am glad I finally sprung for a Tru-Arc....it just "looks right" on my albeit meager Annie pro-line. Improved playability and tone!

Oh man, guys! Thanks so much for the outpouring of outpouringness. The pics are great - too many to single out.

I guess I hadn't thought how the bridges wear over time (though occasionally I polish one of mine, cause I'm a shiny kind of guy) - but they really look right all worn-in and aged. Like part of the guitars! Thanks for the pictures and testymonials.

And, yeah, it IS 10 years. I was right after all. I thought I was wrong that once, but I was mistaken. If I take 2008 as a starting point, then write "2009" on my left little fingernail, that's the first year. 2010 goes on my left ring fingernail, 2011 on the left middle fingernail, and so on across...well when I get to my right little fingernail, I write "2018."

And since (by popular agreement since the doctor first counted them and reported to my proud parents) I have just the ten fingers, that makes 2018 #10 after all!

I didn't miss Tru-Arc's 10th Anniversary! I just confused myself.

And THIS, dear friends, is why I am NOT the engineer in this operation. All these thankses should really go to Brother Steve and master machinist ReRob, because between them they did all the engineering. All the heavy lifting to make something in reality that I merely conceptualized.

A great man and departed GDP member, Ray Beals - former General Manager of the Emporia KS Gazette - had a sign in his office that said There's no difference between theory and practice in theory - but there is in practice. Steve has turned theory into practice on the occasion of every significant Tru-Arc development - and his mechanical insight has tweaked various features which never meet the eye or rise to one's awareness, but which improve the bridges' performance.

If I had the mechanical aptitude, the equipment (a surprising lot of it), and the presence of mind not to hack myself up when using it, there might have been a lot of wacky waste material that was intended to be some sort of revolutionary bridge. I have ideas...they're not all good. Steve is an excellent filter, and he minces no words in explaining to me just where I've gone off the rails of feasibility.

In that sense, it's certainly a partnership, and I pass most of this praise on to him...

...and to ReRob. (There was already a Rob working for the shop when he was hired, many years ago.) As the senior master machinist at Steve's operation, he has literally made every bridge. Programmed the machines, moved the stock along through every step of the operation (about 12 steps as a machinist understands them, over 100 when I counted them as a layperson. More for SerpenTunes, I'm sure.) He's also the librarian of every detailed spec for every model and variation. There's heroics for you.

The only part of production not in ReRob's domain is polishing - and more than one order has been delayed because no one at the shop really wants to stand in front of that wheel with the rouge and cover themselves in that grimy goop (or, occasionally, endure the impact of an errant projectile bridge).

There has been some talk of moving that machine to my garage so I can do the dirty work. I'll have to hang a heavy clear curtain between that bay and the rest of the garage, because projectile bridges can't be good for classic cars...

Bullet ends, yes. That was Re's idea. I have other ideas for ornamental ends. Maybe for a 10th Anni run, we can do something special like that.

Like, how would "ebonized" (black anodized) - with polished or brushed/ornamental ends go over?

That could be a thing!

ANYway...thanks for all the good words, guys, and the ongoing support.

only to discover that the stainless steel serpentune on it is freakin 14" radius!

Well yeah - because you prefer a slighter flatter radius bridge than fingerboard, and you ordered it that way! So actually, we were very precise, eh?

We can make it aaaaany radius you like.

But if I take 2008 as a starting point, then write "2009" on my left little fingernail, that's the first year. 2010 goes on my left ring fingernail, 2011 on the left middle fingernail, and so on across...well when I get to my right little fingernail, I write "2018." - Proteus

Had I known this fancy "New Math" method of cyphering, I might have done better than I did in school. It's sure a lot easier than my "Hammer and Finger" method.

It's sure a lot easier than my "Hammer and Finger" method.

Well, that's a good method - but you can only do math every 6 weeks or so that way, and eventually your calculator gets useless for anything else.

I have 2 Tru Arcs, and if I ever get another Gretsch I know where Im sending my money.

Wow 10 years flew by very quickly.

It's sure a lot easier than my "Hammer and Finger" method.

Well, that's a good method - but you can only do math every 6 weeks or so that way, and eventually your calculator gets useless for anything else.

– Proteus

Sure, but now I have to wait for my fingernails to grow out before I can get back to cypherin'...

Register Sign in to join the conversation