Other Equipment

TC Electronic Drip Reverb

Here's a new one, part of their budget line too...

http://www.tcelectronic.com...

I know how discerning we are on this forum about spring reverb simulation, and the ability of digital algorithms to capture the famous "drip". Seems like TC claims to have figured it out.

What do you think?

I think I'd be a lot more interested if they put a demo of the sound on the page. Instead, they've chosen a fuzz tone demo?? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If they're truly proud of it, let us hear it.

There's a video on that page with sounds. But yes the fuzz clips at the bottom seem to be a mistake.

Aren't those just tweaked and repackaged Behringer pedals?

Thanks, Ott. Not sure why, but that vid simply did not show up on my screen the first time I went there... weird.

I did think it strange that they'd promo a fuzz pedal on a reverb page.

The simplicity is appealing. I wonder if this is more accurate than the spring setting in their budget Skysurfer pedal? TC's promo videos are always super-enthusiastic, but somewhat light on actual sound samples!

That slight delay you hear in that clip is not what is usually understood by "drip", so no, it doesn't look like TC nailed that part.

Just watched the demo video again. Still haven't heard any drip.

Just watched the demo video again. Still haven't heard any drip.

– WB

What struck me about the TC Helicon video is that it didn't seem to me like they were actually trying to create that "drip" sound. If you name your device "The Drip", then shouldn't your video be trying to demonstrate how it does making that sound?

I have to say that I am somewhat less discerning about the sound of the reverb in my amplifiers than most. At rehearsals, I play through a bandmate's Silverface Deluxe Reverb from about 1968 and it sounds pretty great to me. But, I don't necessarily feel as if I am being shortchanged when I play a gig through my Gretsch Executive amplifier.

I recently purchased a Strymon Flint and I like how it sounds as well, although perhaps not as much drip with it as in that SF DR.

No drip. The only way to get that super wet drippy reverb tone is with a good outboard tank (or a Surfy Bear). The Catalinbread Topanga pedal comes close and sounds pretty good in general. The Boss '63 FRV gets drippy but has too many other issues. I gotta think one of these days someone will nail that sound in a pedal .

Walter, it's funny that you posted a video of Baja. That's exactly what I play every time I test-drive any real spring reverb or digital simulation!

Walter, it's funny that you posted a video of Baja. That's exactly what I play every time I test-drive any real spring reverb or digital simulation!

– seadevil

The Astronauts' recordings are the gold standard by which reverb drip is measured!

Register Sign in to join the conversation