Other Equipment

TC analogue echo

Anyone tried TC's Echobrain analogue delay pedal? If so, is it any good? Along with various other effects boxes in the same range, it seems very inexpensive for a TC pedal, which makes me wonder about its build quality. But for what I want — a nice fat slapback — it sounds OK, at least on YouTube demos. The idea is to have two delay boxes on my board (the other is a Carbon Copy) so I can switch between slapback and a more 'spacey' echo without having to bend down and fiddle with control knobs.

I went this route a few years ago. Had been using a danelectro for years (which I chose over a boss analogue at the time).

Got a deal on the tc alter ego so I jumped at it. I find I use the Binson echorec setting 95% of the time. I can get a wide variety of sounds from it, including beyond spacey and infinite delays for getting really noisy.

That said, I couldn't part with my dano. Something about a simple analogue delay that couldn't be replaced. Now I love having two on my board. Also, the tc can't make the spacey jet sounds by playing with the tape speed knob while it's on.

I don't know about the new TC range - yes they are really cheap! But i use a TC Flashback Mini for slapback and it's excellent. You can use any of the toneprint settings on it, which makes it a surprisingly versatile delay for its size. The Flashbacks also have incredibly low tonesuck.

So if the Echobrain is anywhere near as good it should be great value.

I went this route a few years ago. Had been using a danelectro for years (which I chose over a boss analogue at the time).

Got a deal on the tc alter ego so I jumped at it. I find I use the Binson echorec setting 95% of the time. I can get a wide variety of sounds from it, including beyond spacey and infinite delays for getting really noisy.

That said, I couldn't part with my dano. Something about a simple analogue delay that couldn't be replaced. Now I love having two on my board. Also, the tc can't make the spacey jet sounds by playing with the tape speed knob while it's on.

– jalexanderdixon

What Danelectro echo pedal is analog?

Dan echo

– jalexanderdixon

Dan Echo is digital. It uses a Princeton Tech PT2395 digital echo microcircuit.

Never knew that, even after owning the pedal for almost 20 years. I bought this one as my first delay. Didn't like the glossy sound of the Boss DD pedals at the time. Couldn't afford the green Line 6 unit (now have an m13 which has that one built in), so my choices were the Dan Echo new for $130 cdn or a used boss red delay for $150 cdn. I liked the sound of the Dan Echo better than the boss. Always assumed it was an analog delay! Regardless, it does that dirty sound just fine for me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation