Miscellaneous Rumbles

My band played at a nursing home today.

We played for the nursing home today that my dad was in for 4 years before he passed on, played from 2-3:30, they seemed like they really enjoyed us.

This is actually a new building that was built after dad passed 8 1/2 years ago.

The room had laminate flooring and a tile floor, I believe it had the best acoustics of any room I've ever played in.

Nice way to spend some time.

I did the same for my Grandmother, Chris.

There's nothing like an appreciative audience, isn't there?

A great gesture,Hats off to you!

"retirement homes" are what I do most these days. In our area, they prefer you only play for an hour, but the neat thing is the residents are there to listen and enjoy, not drink beer, talk and argue. So I find them a lot of fun.

Pay is not much above the honorarium level, but the thank-yous at the end make it all worthwhile. My show is basically "by request", and I find myself playing songs ranging from "Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" to "Yellow Submarine" to "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" some days while they sing along. Other days, it's more easy listening than audience participation.

I play a local "circuit" of nine residences, works out to one a week. Great way to end a stress-filled week, trust me!

Very Nice Effort Farmerbrown!! Good work by you!

WAY back in my youth (late 1950's) I was playing and singing with a "folk" group. We played at a nursing home one time.... part of our set list included "Tom Dooley". None of us gave it much thought ahead of time, but after we started the song, the lyrics at the end of the chorus hit me like a ton of bricks! ("....Poor boy you're bound to die...").

However it all went well and our audience seemed to enjoy it.

This thread put a smile on my face that''s gonna last all day. Thanks to all of you

Set list?

– Enis Penvy

I'll try to remember some, Cheating Heart, Big River, There She Goes (Carl Smith), There You Go (J.Cash) I Don't Hurt Any More, Thanks A Lot, Long Black Veil, Silver Wings, Today I started Loving You Again, If I Ever Need A Lady, Choking Kind, Darlene, Who Do You Know In California, Kiss An Angel Good Morning, Heartaches By The Number, Heart Over Mind, Faded Love and Ghost Riders (both as instrumentals), Crazy Arms. That's all I can remember right now, seldom use a set list, each singer just does what he wants to.

Set list?

– Enis Penvy

I'll try to remember some, Cheating Heart, Big River, There She Goes (Carl Smith), There You Go (J.Cash) I Don't Hurt Any More, Thanks A Lot, Long Black Veil, Silver Wings, Today I started Loving You Again, If I Ever Need A Lady, Choking Kind, Darlene, Who Do You Know In California, Kiss An Angel Good Morning, Heartaches By The Number, Heart Over Mind, Faded Love and Ghost Riders (both as instrumentals), Crazy Arms. That's all I can remember right now, seldom use a set list, each singer just does what he wants to.

Wow that's a bunch of good ones right there. I'm sure they did enjoy it. Thanks for sharing that.

I remembered 2 more, Farewell Party and Gone Gone Gone.

My dad and I have done many acoustics shows at nursings, and the residents love the old, old songs. His friend at our main stop past away, and it hurt my dad so much we haven't been back. Regardless, it would be nice if every senior home had players.

...-------

Good stuff FB, I spent time working in a retirement home and a respite ward at a hospital so I know how much this kind of thing matters.

Register Sign in to join the conversation