Other Equipment

Tavo

Saw that today too. Could this give the Flashback a leg up on the El Capistan? It has me intrigued. I see Sweetwater also came up with a DM3+ toneprint. I've been debating something like this to replace both my DM3 and Reel Echo and free up room on the board.

YES!

I've been really happy with my Flashback, but the ability to tweak!....oh hell yes.

TC electronic is soooo cool! Holy tweekville, this will be fun!

Saw that today too. Could this give the Flashback a leg up on the El Capistan? It has me intrigued. I see Sweetwater also came up with a DM3+ toneprint. I've been debating something like this to replace both my DM3 and Reel Echo and free up room on the board.

– Built4speed

Won't give it a leg up on the Capistan. It's still a $160 delay that just doesn't have the dsp horsepower or near as detailed of algorithms. This software will let you develop your own toneprint, but only within the built in parameters. If the Capistan is just plain more organic and believable - the toneprint software doesn't have a parameter for that.

Having said that, I do own a flashback and look forward to this software. There have been plenty of toneprints where I wish I could just dial a little saturation OUT of the delays (especially when I hit them hard with a dynobrain), or to brighten or darken the delays - or even just to limit the delay time from 120 - 160 for a slapback specific setting (yes I know it already comes with a built in slapback specific setting, but unfortunately they seem to be using the digital delay as their voice for that one).

Btw, I tested the DM3 toneprint against my dm3 and it's pretty darned near close. I was impressed. Much closer than their stock 'analog' setting is. Where it still misses the mark is that the flashback will never have that slight reverby smear quality in the delay - it stays rather rigid and stiff around the edges, if you know what I mean. -That's a certain quality thats in all of the settings, because In the end, I'll bet they're really using one delay algorithm for all the different types and just modifying it for different flavors - but the bones remain. Anyways, that and the real Boss delay still has a bit more pronounced analog decay to the added repeats (noticed when you set up for many repeats). Whatever that degraded quality is, the real one still has it more. But still, it's pretty darned close. Not close enough for Tavo though :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation