Other Equipment

Tape Echo and Voltage Converter question

I've been using an old Guild-branded WEM Copicat Mk IV (the solid-state one) tape echo for a while now and it's become a big part of my sound. It's been giving me a few problems and I've decided to get it fixed as well as getting a second one for backup.

The only problem is, I haven't been able to find one that was made for the U.S. market, which would run on 110vac/60htz. I went ahead and purchased a beautifully restored unit from the U.K. but as it runs on 220vac/50htz I decided to get a step up/step down transformer.

My question is this? I know that the transformer can covert the power but I don't know about the 50htz/60htz. Will this effect the motor speed/speed of the echo and will it damage the unit? It's a nice unit and I don't want to destroy it.

I may have to look for another US version, but since I can't find one in great shape, I went with this British one. It hasn't gotten here yet, so I haven't been able to try it but I must admit I'm a little concerned.

As I understand it (and I'm no expert), the motor should run 20% faster. While that might be a problem for something like a tape player, I don't think it would be a problem for an echo unit, since the recording and playback are happening at the same speed.

I'd be very surprised if the motor couldn't handle it just fine.

As I understand it (and I'm no expert), the motor should run 20% faster. While that might be a problem for something like a tape player, I don't think it would be a problem for an echo unit, since the recording and playback are happening at the same speed.

I'd be very surprised if the motor couldn't handle it just fine.

– Afire

I figured it would run fast. As long as it doesn't hurt the unit I guess I'll be okay. I do wonder what the differences in milliseconds will be compared to my other one since it'll be running faster.

My first cassette deck (that I bought while stationed in England) was dual voltage. To convert from 50 Hz to 60Hz, they included a different pulley. 20% faster is right---it'll shorten your echo time. Otherwise, it won't hurt a thing. You probably won't be able to notice any differences.

My first cassette deck (that I bought while stationed in England) was dual voltage. To convert from 50 Hz to 60Hz, they included a different pulley. 20% faster is right---it'll shorten your echo time. Otherwise, it won't hurt a thing. You probably won't be able to notice any differences.

– wabash slim

Threadkiller alert-- A bit of trivia is that the VERY 1st home cassette deck ever owned in England belonged to Ringo in 1968.

I will find out soon I guess. It should be here next week. I hope it works out. It's a big part of the sound of our band.

Threadkiller alert-- A bit of trivia is that the VERY 1st home cassette deck ever owned in England belonged to Ringo in 1968.

– DCBirdMan

I got mine at the Base Exchange in '71.

Register Sign in to join the conversation