Other guitar-y things

Strymon Riverside: What’s Your Experience and Thoughts on This?

Possibly putting this pedal on my short list.

I've read up on these, and the specs/features sound good on paper, but does it really sound good using it.

I'm not looking for magic, just a unit that will let me switch between some nice "hair" around my cleans, and some good old tube type distortion.

I've had several dual type OD and distortion pedals in the past, but they couldn't do both well, or at least what I liked, to my ears.

So, I would appreciate input from you folks that have and use one, to had one and why it's gone! Lol

Again, the write up from Strymon sounds good on paper, and offers more interesting options that I could possibly use, if it really sounds as good live.

Thanks for any input.

I have played both the Strymon overdrive pedals and think they are pretty good - better than expected actually. I don't think either of them has any magic - they do what they say they do and no more. And in that respect I found them a little disappointing. With so much processing power at their fingertips surely they could have given us a bit more?? You won't find and "old tube type distortion" here. And like you I haven't found a dual-OD which has strong usable sounds in both sides.

Often Prymaxe has deals on their pedals (like right now!), so maybe you could buy two very good pedals and just put them next to each other? A combo I would recommend would be something like the Rockett Caliber 45 or Majestic next to an Archer (Klon style). The Rocketts are compact, very solidly built and excellent value IMHO. And two together wouldn't be much bigger than a Strymon. And you wouldn't need a fancy power supply for them either - Strymons can be fussy about power.

a unit that will let me switch between some nice "hair" around my cleans, and some good old tube type distortion.

That’s precisely the brief the long-discontinued Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic nails, both sides. Despite dozens of dirt machines that have come (and tens that have gone) over the years, my TT has been literally the one constant on my main board for over 10 years. I can’t say there’s nothing like it, but I’ve bought at least two alternatives to replace it, and they haven’t. That experience has taught me to quit looking for tube preamps.

It’s not a character pedal that replaces or even revoices your amp (at most it has an accent): it becomes two more channels for your amp.

I’m appalled at the insultingly low prices they’re bringing on Reverb, and I’m fixin’ to buy the cheapest one there now to keep it from pulling down the value of the others. That way I’ll always have a spare.

Disclosure: it uses an unusual 16v power supply, and I’ve had to replace mine once. Mine also failed once - and I had wonderful service from SD. I emailed crying, got an RMA, and shipped it to them. Had it back pronto, literally better than new. I had mentioned in my email how much I loved the pedal, and that my only complaint was that the chicken-head knobs were too easy to bump out of position; it came back with more strongly damped (and studio-smooth) pots which are much more resistant.

I’ve read complaints about SD’s customer service, but every one of my several dealings with them has been a pleasure.

Quick! To Reverb!

a unit that will let me switch between some nice "hair" around my cleans, and some good old tube type distortion.

That’s precisely the brief the long-discontinued Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic nails, both sides. Despite dozens of dirt machines that have come (and tens that have gone) over the years, my TT has been literally the one constant on my main board for over 10 years. I can’t say there’s nothing like it, but I’ve bought at least two alternatives to replace it, and they haven’t. That experience has taught me to quit looking for tube preamps.

It’s not a character pedal that replaces or even revoices your amp (at most it has an accent): it becomes two more channels for your amp.

I’m appalled at the insultingly low prices they’re bringing on Reverb, and I’m fixin’ to buy the cheapest one there now to keep it from pulling down the value of the others. That way I’ll always have a spare.

Disclosure: it uses an unusual 16v power supply, and I’ve had to replace mine once. Mine also failed once - and I had wonderful service from SD. I emailed crying, got an RMA, and shipped it to them. Had it back pronto, literally better than new. I had mentioned in my email how much I loved the pedal, and that my only complaint was that the chicken-head knobs were too easy to bump out of position; it came back with more strongly damped (and studio-smooth) pots which are much more resistant.

I’ve read complaints about SD’s customer service, but every one of my several dealings with them has been a pleasure.

Quick! To Reverb!

– Proteus

Thanks for the input Tim.

I had a TT about 10 years back or so, and IIRC, we dicussed this unit back then.

The TT just didn't work out. I could not get two "sounds" that a liked at the same time.

One or the other, but not both. My experience with the TT was that it really needed separate volumes/EQ for each channel, as the "sharing" just didn't cut it.

Played with it for a few weeks and ended up returning it to MF at the time.

Guess that separate vol/eq issue is supposedly solved with the Riverside, at least on paper.

Hmm, not sure about though. Thus this thread got started.

Thanks again.

Thanks for reminding me about the SD Twin Tube. I need to drag mine out and play with it. It's been a while.

IIRC, we dicussed this unit back then.

You're older than I am. How is it you remember our discussing it, and I don't? Does your sieve have fewer or smaller holes than mine?

ER WHUT!

IIRC, we dicussed this unit back then.

You're older than I am. How is it you remember our discussing it, and I don't? Does your sieve have fewer or smaller holes than mine?

ER WHUT!

– Proteus

Lol, you're funny Tim.

I don't remember exactly when, but the TT pedal discussion was discussed in a couple of threads of old.

I wanted to like it, I tried to like, but it just didn't deliver "it" for me.

the TT pedal discussion was discussed in a couple of threads of old.

Ah, I don't feel so bad now. Per the above quote, you're clearly not completely retired from the Department of Redundancy Department.

I have no doubt I've sung the TT's praises before. I may not remember everything, but evidently my regard for the pedal is genuine, as it remains consistent as memory fades. (Maybe because I'm reminded every time I play through it.)

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. You are, self-evidently, just wrong!

the TT pedal discussion was discussed in a couple of threads of old.

Ah, I don't feel so bad now. Per the above quote, you're clearly not completely retired from the Department of Redundancy Department.

I have no doubt I've sung the TT's praises before. I may not remember everything, but evidently my regard for the pedal is genuine, as it remains consistent as memory fades. (Maybe because I'm reminded every time I play through it.)

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. You are, self-evidently, just wrong!

– Proteus

Lol again Tim.

I know, I'm wrong. I did try to be right really, I tried.

I know, I'm wrong.

As long as you know, my work here is done.

But maybe you should try it again? Your taste may have improved in the intervening years.

I know, I'm wrong.

As long as you know, my work here is done.

But maybe you should try it again? Your taste may have improved in the intervening years.

– Proteus

Yes, your work is done. Nap time for Tim!

My taste may have changed, but my amps and several guitars/pups without a doubt have changed.

Probably should try one again, but time and tech improvements have changed too.

That's why the Riverside sorta got my attention.

It could well be a fine thing. I have high regard for all things Strymon, got a slew of'em in my tackle box. I was Not Impressed by their compressor, but all the rest have been Kapital K Keepers.

I've also looked into the Riverside - and their other dual-dirter (Sunset?) - but don't see anything compelling against everything else I have.

I'm probably wrong though.

Thanks for bringing up the Sunset. That could be a good option too.

Seeing how the only "dirt" pedal that I own is a MI Audio Crunch Box, guess that I'm compelled to opening my eyes and ears again.

The CB is a good pedal for that heavy, saturated, Marshall sound, but not so much for a less heavy od sound.

Well...per Jimmy's sage cogitations, as opposed to finding a single double-pedal with two sounds you like...since you already like what you have for reallydirty, you might look for a pedal that's good at barely smudged, as it were.

J Rockett Blue Note, Wampler Euphoria, yon olde standby Timmy, the pedals Jimmy mentioned. The pedal world is not short on barely-there and slightly-hairy pedals.

Very true.

Now that my stable is set, I'm currently reevaluating the CB with them and with what I now play.

It too is still in question.

Well...per Jimmy's sage cogitations, as opposed to finding a single double-pedal with two sounds you like...since you already like what you have for reallydirty, you might look for a pedal that's good at barely smudged, as it were.

J Rockett Blue Note, Wampler Euphoria, yon olde standby Timmy, the pedals Jimmy mentioned. The pedal world is not short on barely-there and slightly-hairy pedals.

– Proteus

Well Tim, spent a little time listening to sound clips (I know, I know.) But it does give some idea of the unit.

I stumbled upon a demo of the Detroit Casket with a 6120 and Filters.

Very, very interesting and looks like it would cover a big part of what I'm after.

For a a 6120 with Filters, you can't beat the Detroit Casket. Right at the top of the heap for that application.

For a a 6120 with Filters, you can't beat the Detroit Casket. Right at the top of the heap for that application.

– Proteus

Well then, looks like this is on my short list.

All three of my Prolines have Filters. 2 have the Classics, and the Gent has RB's now.

I would think that they'll all play well with it.

Finally getting into orbit with you Tim!

Thanks for the input from you and Jimmy.

I love a happy ending. So does Tavo!

I know it shouldn't matter as long as it sounds good, but I have a strong aversion to digital overdrive pedals. It seems like an overly complicated and artificial way to replicate the sound of a simple overdrive circuit. I can see the value of amp modeling in many situations, but I really don't want my signal being fully digitized before it gets to my amp.

Some people seem to love these Strymon drives, though, so what do I know?

Yo JD, note this Casket coming up for sale on the GDP, right when you need it.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

Is it koinkidink, kismet, karma, fate, serendipity - or evidence for a cold and uncaring mechanistic cosmos providentially stepping in to care for its own?

Interpret as ye may; I'll take Door #1 please Monty.

Just remembered probably the only 2-in-1 OD pedal I have ever liked (other than some I have built myself!): The Keeley D+M Drive. It's named after Dan and Mick of That Pedal Show (Youtube) and it has a Keeley style Klon and Bluesbreaker pedal in the one box. It's actually very good and I much prefer it over the Strymon dirt boxes.

I have never tried a Detroit Casket - I would like to! But my previous experiences with Nocturne pedals has been pretty average. Probably fabulous but they haven't worked out for me. Mind you I'm generally not a big fan of Keeley but I like the D+M Drive so who knows?

My own OD pedal is one I built myself and it has my version of a Rockett 45 and a Si Red Rooster in it. The Red Rooster is based on the Rangemaster Ge treble booster but has a second knob which brings in low end. It doesn't have much dirt by itself but as a boost into the 45 it sounds absolutely classic and is incredibly usable. Actually I have probably over 100 OD pedals but that the one I use the most.

Shuggie has his Gas FX Twin Carb. Not exactly the same, it is an overdrive and boost in one pedal, as far as I know. I'd love to get one some day.

I love Dan and Mick, but I Did Not Get Along with their pedal. In it came and out it went.

Now that I think about it, I also Failed to Bond with the Wampler Brent Mason twofer.

On the other hand, the Origin Revival Drive double-header is so good it ought to be twins. (Oh! It is!) Frightfully expensive, though.

So my luck has been 50-50 on dual drives. Unless the Tim counts (it has a boost). I don’t use it much, but every time I give it one last chance before Reverbing it, it comes up too good to lose.

I’ve tried two fuzz doubles, including the Blackout Effectors Twosome (Musket paired w/Fix’d). Loved the Musket side, but Fix’d sounded brok’d, so I ‘verbed the Twosome and got a Musket single.

The other is the Earthquaker Hoof Reaper (their Hoof perfected Muff on one side, Tone Reaper 3-knob Bender tribute on the other). But wait! It’s actually a threefer, with a separate Octavia-type octave-up stomper also. All three options are winners, and they combine endlessly. Fabulous tone toy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation