Other Equipment

Strymon El Cap: talk me out of it.

Let's see...

I have a truckload of delays - Boss RE20, Boss DD3, Dan-Echo, 80's Maxon AD9, 90's DOD FX90, Boss DM2 & DM3 and a custom built echo with chorus and pitch warble (I don't use this much, too much knobs for live).

Right now I'm using the DD3 since it's sturdy, easy to adjust and has few knobs.

Why do I need an El Cap?

!#$@%

I started out using a Carbon Copy for slapback. After a year using it I then moved onto an RE20, loved the tap tempo option and infinite repeats when holding down the tap switch, the slapback was really nice and the ability to mix in a little reverb, albeit not the best sounding reverb, was nice. I ended up getting a DM-3 and liked it a lot better for slapback. To my ears it just sounded better than the RE20. I was very happy with my DM-3, it sounds great. Nice warm dark repeats.

I've always missed the tap tempo, and in my new band I need more than just a good slapback echo. The DM3 can do more than just slapback but after hearing the demos of the El Capistan's ability to emulate tape I ended up getting the one and told myself I'd keep it if I could get the same slapback out of it that my DM-3 could produce.

Well, I can dial in the DM-3s slapback perfectly and the tap tempo is great, I have a favorite switch in the mail from a custom builder so soon I'll be able to store my slapback setting. The flexibility of this pedal is daunting, in a good way. Oh and it sounds just as good as everyone says it does.

I had my first band practice the other night with the El Cap and will be taking my DM-3 off my pedal board this week.

I love the DM3. I find the delay time short for Sleepwalk though. The DM2 is kick-ass in the slapback. Better than the rest of my pedals.

What scares me of El Cap is the knobs. Too many darn knobs.

dont ever get one they are horrible, dont do it.. you dont want it.

...did that help? :)

While we're on the subject....... I need a new delay, too. El Cap, or Brigadier...?

El Capistan is more than just a delay modeler, its got a cool spring tank ( a space echo's spring tank) and the delay tape modulation will at extreme settings, a cool chorus (think Purple Rain without the assless chaps)

The El Cap has a bit of a learning curve. It's defintely not a 3 knob Boss that you can dail in with your big toe on the fly. That said, once you get used to the controls, you can get some terrific sounds out of it. I'm not into hippy delay (ie: Pink Floyd, etc) so I can't comment there, but for old school roots/rockabilly, it tops. I didn't want to like it.. In my mind, I needed tape and was ready to drop some serious coin on a Fulltone tube tape echo. Once I really dug into the Strymon and it's features, it completely crushed my Fulltone/tape GAS.

What pushes the El Cap over the top is one of Tavo's Brain pedals, definitely a perfect pairing.

Nah, you don't want the El Cap. You want the FLINT! (At least I do - if only I could find one).8-)

BTW Tavo, that three stooges thing just made my day...:D

You don't need it. You'll barely use it. It just doesn't matter that much. Save your money for vegetables.

The prodigal returns. Lovely to see that custom avatar 'round here.

You don't need it. You'll barely use it. It just doesn't matter that much. Save your money for vegetables.

– Proteus

– Proteus

sez the guy who has the Strymon upline "The Timeline" that not only gives you multi tap tri stereo delays in asynchronous synchronometry but also does your taxes for you and analyzes your gear spending habits while it simultaneously counsels you on resale values.

Hey tommy, good to see you - and everyone else.

Yessir, Taver - and who now rarely uses it. It's wonderful gorgeous amazing, a creative tool par excellence. But I find or tweak in a good patch, save it, then forget where it is or how I intended to use it.

Most elaborately constructed multi-pedal tones turn out for me to be perishably context-sensitive. If the context changes (you know, the song or the tempo or the instrumentation, or even the ROOM)...the tone doesn't work anymore.

It ought to be a lesson to me, but it probably isn't. Life would seem so much emptier if we didn't have to learn things over and over.

Sounds like just a simple guitar and amp for you. Of course, I've seen you playing in the snow so you gotta be cool wi'dat. Sure is good to see your sign, Pilgrim.

DD3 is the best choice IMO to play live has an experienced player you are have already prove I like a lot some i try or own TTE Diamond Lane M2 Moog all four are very different machines and top class sound but they fit better in an Studio environment, unless you have sound tech assistance on stage which by the way stay without taking his eyes off

Had an El Cap and sold it. I'm too OLD to learn all this complicated stuff :( .

Got a Brigadier instead and still have it... probably always will.

Heya johnny. Good to see you.

Me too i´m glad to see you here again

– Mitch Crane

– MitchC

holy merve griffin....how is the brigadier so much more user friendly?

Its the same freakin box, same knobs, same switches maaaaaan.

Mod=wow and flutter Bucket loss=tape age etc...

El Capistan is more than just a delay modeler, its got a cool spring tank ( a space echo's spring tank) and the delay tape modulation will at extreme settings, a cool chorus (think Purple Rain without the assless chaps)

– TheNocturneBrain.com

– WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

So, where DO you get the assless chaps then? Asking for a friend.

Different colors, Turt. Different colors.

Here is a glimpse into Jeff O's future when he can no longer safely ride his bike.

Register Sign in to join the conversation