Other Equipment

strings for rockabilly

what kind of strings would be good for a gretsch hollowbody and that sound good for rockabilly music. thanx :grin:

Well Setzer uses D'Addario Exl110's so all i have to do is gather some talent.10's are nice because they are versitle but if you have one guitar dedicated to rockabilly the other members will chime in.

I use 10-52's. I really like thick bottom strings, for extra chunk.

I am using 10-48's blues sliders from Thomastik Infeld. I just posted a song in the your tunes section using those strings. I think they sound and feel great! A lot less brittle sounding than the D'Addarios in my opinion.

well, for real-deal '50s Rockabilly tone you need “pure nickel” strings (not nickel-plated steel), with a wound 3rd string, and at least .011 gauge (.012 or .013 would be better.) whether you use rounds or flats is entirely up to you, but rounds give you more of a “twang” while flats give you more of a “thump.” i like Gibson's “L-5” .012s.

for “modern” Rockabilly tone, well, i'd guess most just your typical “modern” strings (nickel-plated steel round-wounds, unwound 3rd, .009-.011 gauge.) i don't really use those types of strings very often, but when i do i go for D'addarios.

Thats right pure nickel not nickel plated I use DR pure blues as a round wound But most of my stable are strung with DR flats

I Use D'adarrio Chromes, i ditch the wound g and replace it with a .019

i think the sets are 10-52's or something

yea i just bought some D'adarrio Chromes 11 but havent put them on so dunno if they'll b goode for rockabilly style music

I think they're great!

with a little echo.

I think it's how you play rather than the string.

James Burton and Eddie Cochran used light gauge strings, Cliff Gallup and Scotty Moore used heavies. Who's the most rockabilly? I dunno.

I thihnk you've got it right Dawg. The strings are tools just as are the guitar and amp. I use D'Addario Chromes and love them, 10s or 11s depending on the guitar. With the 10s I sub a plain .017 for the third string. OTOH, Brian Setzer uses D'Addario EXL-110 roundwounds and seems to do fine with them.

There isn't a right string and a wrong string, it's mostly a matter of personal preferrence.

I've been searching a long time for the best strings for my Setzer Signature and echo Daddy-O's thoughts on Pure Nickel Roundwounds. After putting a set of D'Addario's Pure Nickel Roundwound 11s on my SSUGR I'm in LOVE. These are the perfect strings to get early RocknRoll from that particular guitar.

Pure Nickels are an older design string that gave way to the modern Nickel Alloy stuff that came along in the early 60s. They produce a more mellow, vintage sound than the EXL-115s I had been using. It takes a couple of days before they get to sounding great so you have to be patient. I get the impression these PNs may also last longer.

However, if you're trying to get the sound of the earliest electric guitar players I think the combination of a DynaSonic DuoJet and Pyramid Gold Flatwound 11s is tough to beat.

In the end the best thing to do is get a short list of strings to try, wind them on and see what floats your boat.

TomfromPA said: However, if you're trying to get the sound of the earliest electric guitar players I think the combination of a DynaSonic DuoJet and Pyramid Gold Flatwound 11s is tough to beat.

I'd try it but a set of Pyramids would cost a major portion of what I paid for the Duo Jet. :nice:

TomfromPA said: In the end the best thing to do is get a short list of strings to try, wind them on and see what floats your boat.

Agreed! Usually a new guitar gets a few different string sets put on it before I settle for one or another. D'Addarios come fairly cheaply and are packaged to resist corrosion. Keeping an assortment of sizes around is a good way to thest different gauges. Once you know where you are with gauges you can fine tune, pure nickel vs nickel alloy, round vs flat vs (sorry Proteus) half rounds.

I forgot to cite dnba's post. Agree completely w/ Dawg and Mark S that the player counts most.

But if you're shooting for an old timey sound, a guitar designed in 1955 played through a Tweed amp with NOS tubes and strung with strings from that time period will help you get where your talent can carry you.

yea i agree with you guys that its how you play and yea i guess im going to have to experiment on the string thing on my own hehehe so thanx guys for the info :grin:

I agree with Pyramids. I have Pyramid Gold flats on my Jazzmaster for surf and the Country Club/Dyna for rockabilly. Great stuff. I play some surf on the Club too. Those strings can not be beat. Expensive but they last. For rounds on my Strat I like Fender pure nickel bullets. Can't beat those either.

When i 1st got my GW-6120, i used D'Addario XL's 11 - 49. Then i went to Thomastik flatwound 11-47 & loved the feel & tone. Yesterday i had to do some recording ( a country cd ) so i went back to D'Addarios for some more twang & to make the g string easier to bend but i didn't care for the sound at all. I'm stickin with Thomastiks.

Register Sign in to join the conversation