Other guitar-y things

strange Bigsby

Anyone ever seen a B6 like this and what brand of guitar would this have gone on? Link

That's a Martin vibrato. You can kind of see an "M" in the design. I didn't know that they were actually made by Bigsby.

How cool, you can see the Patent No.

Ah...of course. I was thinking it had to be a guitar maker with M or maybe V as its first letter

That Martin electric was used -- at least on vid in this killer tune

Dig the Guild Starfire also

I played one once and it didn't have any twang, despite the DeArmond pickups. But it was pretty neglected and I suspect with some attention could have been a very nice guitar. I always thought these looked a little odd with the mixture of space age and very traditional f-holes and the most traditional headstock on earth. I think they got a little closer to a cohesive design with the GT-70/75:

That's a Martin vibrato. You can kind of see an "M" in the design. I didn't know that they were actually made by Bigsby.

– Afire

This guitar shows me that Martin's electrics weren't any better looking than their acoustics....plain Jane fugly.

I played one once and it didn't have any twang, despite the DeArmond pickups. But it was pretty neglected and I suspect with some attention could have been a very nice guitar. I always thought these looked a little odd with the mixture of space age and very traditional f-holes and the most traditional headstock on earth. I think they got a little closer to a cohesive design with the GT-70/75:

– Afire

Friend of mine had one of those, and it was a great guitar, and very twangy - the way you'd expect/hope a double DeArmond laminated hollowbody to sound. played great too, nicely made guitar. I still regret not buying it when he sold it.

Have another friend in Germany who has the single cutaway version with the pointier version headstock, badass looking guitar that sounds very similar to my DeArmond-pickup Guild starfire : loud, bright and agressive.

This guitar and this guy possibly?

Why is he (a) sneering at the camera? and (b) putting his shoes on the chair? My mother would have said he is a bad egg. (if she used language like that!)

i like the offbeat oem made bigsbys

cheers

Afriend of my wife inherited one of those Martin electrics... Her uncle had played professionally in the 60s and when she got it, she asked me to check it out.

It had been sitting in a closet for about 20 years. No, she won't part with it, nor will she let me bring it up to snuff. Sentimental value and all that. I fear it will sit in another closet for another couple of decades, yet.

This is the only image I have of it.... or not. Technical difficulties. Please do not adjust your set.

Why is he (a) sneering at the camera? and (b) putting his shoes on the chair? My mother would have said he is a bad egg. (if she used language like that!)

– JimmyR

Must be a rockstar thing.

This guitar and this guy possibly?

– sascha

yes!

– JimmyR

Worse- why aren't his pedals plugged in???

Worse- why aren't his pedals plugged in???

– Kevin Frye

He's glaring at the rascal who stole his leads. . .

This guitar shows me that Martin's electrics weren't any better looking than their acoustics....plain Jane fugly.

– Windsordave

Don't hold back Dave! Tell us what you really feel.

I think my D-28 is lovely Dave It's not meant to be schmaltzy and glitzy, it's a straight up dreadnaught acoustic. The fine woods speak for themselves.

However I agree about their electrics. I've always thought the Martin electrics were kind of ill-conceived aesthetically. They look awkward to me.

That band is hilarious. I like the low singing the caveman stances, the short straps and the black gloves. It's a cool song too.

My intention was surely not that you guys are making fun of him. He is a well-respected musician and nice human being with a highly successful band and a solo career. I follow his music since the mid-80s.

I always thought those Martin electrics were pretty cool. I think they have a 24.9" scale (like a Martin 000 acoustic) and a nut width more like a Fender ( around 1.65). I have also read that the DeArmond pu's on these were wound on the hotter side, even for DeArmonds. Love to get a chance to play one and see for my self. When I toured the Martin factory quite a few years ago they had one on display in a glass case. I was the goofball on the tour who told the tour guide they should do a reissue...and I was serious.

I have also read that the DeArmond pu's on these were wound on the hotter side, even for DeArmonds.

Having looked deeply into this matter maybe 5 years ago the walk away was the norm for deArmonds was up in the 11-12k range; only for 50s Gretsches specifically were deArmonds in the 8K range. I have some recollection that Billy Zoom etc confirmed this as well (if I'm misattributing it's not intentional and hopefully he'll clarify).

I played one of those Martin electrics in one of the Denmark Street shops. Pure hollow body--light as a feather. Played well but I didn't plug it in. I was generally impressed.

Despite those Martin electrics not catching on....considering they were Martins, made in the Martin Factory in Nazareth, PA USA, it's not surprising to hear that they play well. Regarding those Denmark Street shops, made it a point to visit them on a trip to London some years ago. It was like going back in time to the heyday of independent shops. Each shop had its own distinct personality.

A bandmate in 1962-63 had a Martin double cutaway electric like the one in Kevin Frye's photo. He was born and raised in Nazareth, PA so there was "no other brand" in his mind.

While I didn't care for its appearance, the guitar played very nicely and had some great tones as I recall.

Register Sign in to join the conversation