Other Equipment

So Now FEEDBACK is a GOOD Thing??

I thought I'd seen it all.....

After decades of listening to and reading about players' efforts to fight the dreaded feedback with arch-top electric guitars -- center blocks, closed "F" holes, stuffing the body with all sorts of stuff...... DigiTech has introduced a new pedal that will CREATE FEEDBACK.

http://digitech.com/en/prod...

Huh??? Nope, I didn't dream or hallucinate this thing. It's on page 27 of the April, '17 issue of "Premier Guitar".

Not on my Bucket List.........!

Feedback has been a good thing since "I Feel Fine" and a beautiful artistic tool since Jimi.

It's called a "Natural Feedback Creator". Kind of a misnomer---natural feedback would be standing in front of a dimed amp and just letting it happen, the way it's always been done. I don't use it myself, but, I enjoy hearing a master like Jimi use it. It just seems wierd to me that you'd need a specific pedal to generate it. It takes all kinds, I guess.

Feedback master on a Gibson Byrdland.

50's blues guys were already hip to the fact you can make a note longer with feedback.

Feedback's good when used properly.

Not that squealy crap that kills your ears, but that monstrous roar it can bring.

There are definitely some cool sounds in there, but then Andy makes everything sound good.

Feedback has long been a musical option for electric guitarists. I love using feedback to add drama to songs where I feel it's appropriate. Doubt I would buy a pedal for it though - you don't need a pedal when you play hollowbodies!

Feedback from a hollowbody gretsch and Vox AC30 is musical, immense and otherworldly. A pedal for it? Eesh.

Here is great review from guys from Andertons:

Link

you don't need a pedal when you play hollowbodies! -- JimmyR

+1

So when are we going to get a 'failing connection, static and interference' stomp box?

I can see it being used very creatively in certain kinds of music... Steve Vai or Andy Timmons, for example.... I realize there probably aren't many fans of such virtuosity on GDP, but there's some good music out there in the genre.

I don't I'll be getting a FreqOut, but looking forward to hearing Timmons use one...

https://www.facebook.com/di...

@Lacking Talent: not exactly what I had in mind. I'm thinking about that failing/short circuiting instrument cable effect you hear Jack White and Eagles of Death Metal are doing every now and then.

@Lacking Talent: not exactly what I had in mind. I'm thinking about that failing/short circuiting instrument cable effect you hear Jack White and Eagles of Death Metal are doing every now and then.

– Ger (aka Ratrod)

I think Jack just has a standby switch on his guitar that he uses for that.

Some fuzz pedals have a bias knob for the transistors, so you can make it sound like the transistor is failing. It can actually be a cool sound - the note crackles and cuts in and out as it fades. In the right context it can sound very cool.

And with other fuzz pedals you can change the note feeding back by using your volume control on the guitar. I've done this with a Fuzz Factory. Not sure how useful it is but it's fun.

Way back when the Strat first came out players found that by wedging the pickup selector between settings they could get those twin pickup "out of phase" tones. We guitarists have a long history of trying things which aren't textbook.

Ah yes, I remember the bias crackle on that Box of Rock clone I made. I should get myself a fuzz pedal. Long overdue.

I've been making loads of fuzz pedals lately. Some germanium, some silicon, some even with chips. What sort of fuzz are you looking for?

Gretsch content:

Jesus and Mary Chain were known for the singer putting his fuzzed out guitar on the ground and leaving it to feed back through out the song. My cats leave the room when this song comes on.

I've been making loads of fuzz pedals lately. Some germanium, some silicon, some even with chips. What sort of fuzz are you looking for?

– JimmyR

I'm not quite sure yet. I'm still schooling myself on the subject. Something that will do Jack White, Eagles of Death Metal, Queens of the Stone Age and that sorta stuff.

edit: a lot of people seem to be using a Big Muff for that Jack White sound oh and for that 'failing connection' effect there's a device called a stutter box, simply a mute switch on the ground.

I use it occasionally to my advantage and I've learned to tame it by turning or getting away from the amp. It's useful to me. On a side note, Andy Timmons is from my hometown. I know several guys that went to school with him. I hear he's a great guy. I know he's one hell of a player.

On a side note, Andy Timmons is from my hometown. I know several guys that went to school with him. I hear he's a great guy. I know he's one hell of a player.

And (bringing it back home) he gets great tones out of a '70's Gretsch RocJet which he tours with.

If you like the basic Big Muff sound have a look at some of the Skreddy pedals. He makes great Muff style fuzzes.

Most fuzzes are copies of either the Big Muff, Fuzz Face or Tone Bender. I can get some great Black Keys tones from my version of the Fulltone Soul Bender, which is a version of the Tone Bender. For Gilmour tones Skreddy's P19 or Lunar Module are amazing. The P19 is higher gain, the Lunar Module lower gain.

For the Jesus and Mary Chain fuzz look for an old Shin-Ei Japanese fuzz.

One of my favourite old-school fuzzes is my copy of an old Marshall Supa Fuzz. It was originally made by Sola Sound who made the original Tone Bender. The Marshall version has some different cap values in it so sounds a bit bigger.

And for "broken pedal" sounds the Z Vex Fuzz Factory is amazing.

With a lot of fuzzes don't just try the pedal with your guitar volume on full. A lot of fuzz pedals, especially germanium, sound great with some volume rolled off at the guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation