Other Equipment

Rockabilly Slapback / Delay pedal

thinking of buying a pedal for a year now, still dont know what to buy... got like $350 to spend on pedal. searching for a rockabilly slapback / delay effect with the options to play songs like sleepwalk. saw that there was a new delay Strymon El Capistan ? is it good ?

thinking about these pedals:

Diamond memory lane Jr / Way Huge Aqua Puss / Carbon Copy.

any suggestions guys ? thanks

Strymon el whatyousay?

Start here :P

Plenty of love here for the old Boss DM-3 for that dirty slapback, too.

in the search on this site you will see some good threads about the El Capistan by Strymon. Worth every cent.. of course a Boss DM-3 from the 80s is TASTE-EEEEE!!

Reel Echo works for me and you don't have to spend a fortune to get it.

is it wrong to make fun of people with a delay pedal made of plastic and digital chips mean for swatches? Especially those with expensive surf green amps and gretsch anniversaries??

The Strymon gets a lot of raves here. It's about as good as it gets for slapback. If you want to save some of that cash, I have an Aqua Puss and think it's great. It does everything I need. The CC is ubiquitous and is definitely a very good delay. I prefer the Aqua Puss for slapback, but if you needed a longer delay (think David Gilmour) the CC would be a better option.

+1 for the Reel Echo. So happy with it I bought another one for my vocals. :)

From someone who has owned at least 15 delays and demo'ed a ton of others in my hunt, I can't say enough good things about the Diamond Memory Lane Jr.

It's has every bit of the warmth and mojo of an analog delay with some of the usability of a digital delay. I have owned a Strymon Timeline, Nova Delay, Boss DD's, Malekko 616 and a ton more and the ML Jr. has the strongest staying power and my favorite tone.

I demo'ed an El Cap. I didn't care for the tone of the repeats at all, I know they are going to the Tape tone, but I prefer the warm analog stuff. I fiddled with the pedal for 30 minutes and had a hard time finding something I really liked.

My vote is the ML Jr.

Cooked, did you turn the treble off, the bass up, the tape bias to dirty and the nutty wow and flutter off? thats when the old warm magic starts up as long as the input gain is pushed up too.

the stock box settings are just sort of floyd-edge whatever. its good clay. Now the old DM-3, you just point all the knobs at the LED and youre there, none better for slap-a-back-a-billy

I'd really recommend finding a $20 Danelectro FAB echo, and just give it a shot. I'm telling you, you'll be surprised.

is it wrong to make fun of people with a delay pedal made of plastic and digital chips mean for swatches? Especially those with expensive surf green amps and gretsch anniversaries??

– TheNocturneBrain.com

– WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

I´m totally agree with this

these posts didntt really helped me deciding haha there are so much people saying diffrent pedals are good. but to make it easyer i got 3 things in mind.

1. the pedal needs to be quality, i dont want crap.
  2. it needs to get the slapback but also a longer delay to play songs like sleepwalk.
  3. i dont care the money just want a good pedal with a good durability.

a few local shops have this Diamond memory lane Jr. all i can say that pedal is great ! can't test the carbon copy, Aqua puss or , El Capistan anywhere , too bad :(

I've been through quite a few echo pedals & I've settled on the T.rex replica (well 2 actually, one for each pedalboard) Great basic sound, tap tempo for stage use & doesn't have a zillion features that I'll never use. Plus, it's made next door in Denmark.

I remain a fan of my DanEcho. Good slapback, and stupid long delay is just a switch away. And they're still pretty cheap.

Note: Not the Reel Echo, and not any of those tiny plastic 20 wonders. Those all sound great, but the Reel Echo is too big (IMO) and the little ones aren't built for the long haul.

Love my Reel Echo :P

I have owned a Boss DM20, Red Witch 7 Sisters delay, PB&J, 2 Danechos, an Ibanez AD9 and I recently found a used Way Huge Aquapuss. The Way Huge is by far my favorite for slapback. Until I found the Way Huge, the Danecho was my favorite (that's why I had 2). I'm sure that the Strymon is excellent, but it also costs quite a bit more. If you have the dough go for it. If you are on a budget, or use slapback sparingly, there are plenty of other adequate options.

Ibanez AD-80 for me. I've also got that Roland Space Echo pedal which isn't bad but not dirty enough--I use it only when we play a room with really muddy acoustics.

I'm sure whatever you'll get will be fine. The only delay I've ever really disliked was the Arion SAD-1 that I got after my first AD-80 was stolen from me. The SAD-1 lived up to its name.

You really don't need to spend $350 on a delay pedal if you're after basic rockabilly slapback.

I'm another vote for the Dano Reel Echo. Excluding the reverb in my Fender Princeton and lateral boost petal, it is the only effect I use for our Rockabilly sets.

I'm another vote for the Dano Reel Echo. Excluding the reverb in my Fender Princeton and lateral boost petal, it is the only effect I use for our Rockabilly sets.

why danelecto? why?? (on my knees sobbing with dramatic hands raised to the sky..) you guys dont seem to care about signal loss from lack of a decent FET bypass let alone true bypass or compander circuit? how's that? Not being a snob here, a basic old Boss DD-2 for $75 has an excellent FET bypass and good headroom.

Tavo, mine works wonder with a classic brain pushing that lilac Dan-Echo. At the end of the chain is a Boss TR2 with FET, so I'm covered with signal loss issues.

You set a slap, play. If you want a sleepwalk setting just move the toggle switch to right. Very convenient live. Turn the bright knob all the way to left and it sounds tape-y to my tinnitus laden ears.

Did I mention it's built like a sherman tank?

lol wired turtle. The Dan was the only one I could get where I live and it DOES change the tone of the guitar a bit, which does bug me, and it does chew batteries ALOT which also bugs me... but it's still pretty good compared to the space echo I was looking at. I wasn't aware of any botique brands or the old boss pedals at the time. :) Also my local shop is asking $130 for a DD3. :(

what kinda bogans are charging that much for a DD3?!

where are you in Oz, I've got some pals in adelaide and I'll have them keep an eye out for a DM-3?

I live in Beachmere, which is near Caboolture, which is near Brisbane, which is in Qld, which is nowhere near Adelaide lol. If I can get a DM-3 for a good price count me in!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation