Other Equipment

Rig cutting out

My guitar rig has started to cut out at the end of the night.

I’ll be playing and during the last set my guitar signal will sometimes get faint, to the point of no signal at all. I’m wondering how to diagnose it.
Last night when it happened the band took a break and I switched out amps.
Seemed better but than I thought I heard it happen again.

Can a pedal do this to a signal?

it’s either something on my pedal board, my Shure wireless or my Vocalist Live Pro processor, which my guitar signal runs through.

Any ideas? It seems to only happen at the end If the night when things are good and warm.

It’s a little tough to figure out because it only happens during a long gig, and I don’t have time to mess with things at a show.

Spray the pots with contact cleaner and wrap some ultra fine sandpaper around a 1/4” dowel and insert into the input jack of the guitar a few times.

Had a similar issue, and it stopped after I removed all pedal cables, sprayed generously with Deoxit, and put it all back together.

Cleaning connections is always a good place to start. It does sound like it could be a heat issue, or a component going bad. Eliminate one piece of gear at a time, or, reverse the process and add one piece at a time. Troubleshooting electronics can be a nightmare.

My guess and starting point would be the battery on your wireless system. Can you play a gig fully connected by leads and see if it happens?

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be one of my patch leads. It tested fine cold but it was breaking down after being used over a few hours.

Register Sign in to join the conversation