Other guitar-y things

REVISIT Reverb pans?

Just wondering if anyone has tried these, and how the compare, sonically, to Accutronics & MOD? I have A/B'ed the Accu and MOD before, in another amp I used to own, and I couldn't tell much of a difference. Are Revisit pans much different? Better/worse? Brighter/warmer? Etc?

There are so many more onw... 2 spring, 3 spring, normal size, short ones...all sorts of in/out things to work with different amps. Revisit is a new one to me. I had no idea if they affected tone... just was reverb any good.

Who can forget the tiny 1 spring unit in 1960s Dano amps .. .not the best sounding

Well, of course I'd be talking about comparisons between like models... meaning, Accutronics 4AB3C1B vs MOD and Revisit of the SAME MODEL.

I'm reading the Revisit tanks are the same as TAD and Mojo (all rebrands of the same unit), but they are different than Accutronics and MOD.

Interesting. I ordered one each of the MOD, modern Accutronics, and Belden tanks and compared them to each other and to an original Accutronics from a 1975 Twin. The tail was far too long on the MOD, and it was much darker by comparison to the others. It was overpowering and cavernous, more like Ampeg than Fender. The Accutronics and Belden were apparently made in the same factory on the same day, with identical components except for the RCA jacks' color and position, but sounded slightly different. The old US Accutronics sounded best, but only by a slim margin. I have no experience with the TAD pr Mojo versions.

Btw, the good folks over at Surf Guitar 101 maintain that the Revisit is identical to the MOD, with that info coming from the distributor.

Btw, the good folks over at Surf Guitar 101 maintain that the Revisit is identical to the MOD, with that info coming from the distributor.

– seadevil

Interesting, because guys at TGP say the Revisit is same as TAD and Mojo, also verified by the distributor.... (with both the MOD and Accutronics being different from each other, as well as different from the Revisit)...

Accutronics went out of business over a decade ago, and the name was bought by the Korean company Belton. Newer Accutronics are just Beltons with the Accutronics name on them. MOD is sonically superior to even the vintage Accutronics, but they have suffered at times from quality control issues causing one of the springs to break where the magnet was attached, presumably from overheating making the metal brittle. I'm currently building another run of Little Kahunas, which means I'll be doing a lot of testing of all currently available springs. I don't know as yet whether the spring breakage issue with the MOD pans has been resolved. I'll post the results of my tests here.

I gave Mel Waldorf a stack of old 60s Gibbs pans that came out of Hammond organs. He experimented replacing the springs in a new MOD tank with the vintage springs out of a Gibbs tank with very interesting results.

Didn't Hammond organ actually invent/have the 1st spring reverb... the springs hung in the open.. .may have been called 'necklace reverb'. It was in Hammond tone cabs and a few higher end spinet organs. And then Gibbs sort of evolved out of that scene?

I have all this old Hammond lit with info on 15 tone cabs from 1935 into the 60s. But sure looks like reverb was in one tone cab model in the late 30s. Kool tonewheel organs ended in 1975.

Billy, I agree that the MODs are better made than the Belton/Accutronics ones. I have a small one in a Blues Jr. and a vertical-mount that I use in conjunction with a VanAmps SoleMate Jr., which has a Dwell control but no Tone. They are perfect in both applications, and I've used them in others as well. I find them to be very consistent and ruggedly constructed, and completely devoid of extraneous noise. Their Korean counterparts are flimsier and less consistent, but they still sound better in a BF Deluxe Reverb, at least for my style.

The MOD did sound great in my SF Twin, which is why I put it in there before I sold it and kept the Twin's original pan for my '64 DR! (The original DR pan sounded even better, but it has an unknown transducer issue and has been retired. I couldn't fix it the last time I looked.)

Accutronics & Gibbs were both divisions of Hammond Organ. They no longer exist. Hammond tone cabs used Necklace reverbs & hanging in oil reverbs before they came up with the format you're familiar with.

Necklace reverb in Hammond tone cabinet:

I shudder to think how those necklace springs must've sounded if something hit the amp!

I shudder to think how those necklace springs must've sounded if something hit the amp!

– seadevil

Hammond sound cabinets were beasts. Something hitting them wasn't too likely. They were usually out of the physical reach of most folks. I've an early '60s Fisher SpaceXpander reverb meant for home stereo. It has an Accutronics spring tank. Like the Hammond oil filled version, they're supposed to be mounted vertically, input at the top, output at the bottom. The vertical placement avoids spring sag. I expect that the oil dampened the effect and eliminated tinniness.

og hammond tanks were the best...when accutronics brand took over they were lesser from the start

and then there was-

cheers

There's a really simple mod you can do to change the brightness of the reverb signal in a blackface AB763 circuit. There's a 10pf cap on the reverb return resistor. I changed it to 7pf to darken the reverb slightly; presumably, you could increase the value and brighten it up. The MOD will still have a really long tail, but that can be "tuned" with a tiny dab of silicone where the two springs meet in the center.

Add-on stand-alone OrganMate for Hammonds that didn’t come with reverb.

I bet that sounds incredible.

And something tells me you have a much larger stash of old tubes than I do.

There's a really simple mod you can do to change the brightness of the reverb signal in a blackface AB763 circuit. There's a 10pf cap on the reverb return resistor. I changed it to 7pf to darken the reverb slightly; presumably, you could increase the value and brighten it up. The MOD will still have a really long tail, but that can be "tuned" with a tiny dab of silicone where the two springs meet in the center.

– seadevil

Now that's some good info! My PRRI's reverb (it's the OEM pan, likely Accu), has a metallic ring to it when I hit a note hard. My previous PRRI did not do this. It's very annoying.

I was going to try swapping the 2 reverb tubes, but I think I have a MOD in the attic, and will try that one also.

Don't swap those reverb tubes, at least if you mean switching one for the other. One's a 12AX7 and one's a 12AT7. It will sound horrible, and the two tubes are not interchangeable. The circuit's not designed for that.

If you just mean trying different ones of the correct type, go for it.

The metallic ring could be something in the pan itself, or microphonics in either of the tubes. It could even be a response to the pan's proximity to the speaker magnet, if it sounds as though it increases in volume and fades away very slowly. Different tubes are always a good first step in diagnosing a reverb issue.

og hammond tanks were the best...when accutronics brand took over they were lesser from the start

and then there was-

cheers

– neatone

Yes I was about to bring up who made the 'beautiful girls' tanks -- I had forgotten

Add-on stand-alone OrganMate for Hammonds that didn’t come with reverb.

– Powdog

I seem to recall hearing that someone built that Organ mate amp into some tiny guitar amp... I may have that wrong tho

– seadevil

I have heard it .. totally crashy. Necklace ones didn't sound as good as tank ones.

Hammond sound cabinets were beasts. Something hitting them wasn't too likely. They were usually out of the physical reach of most folks. I've an early '60s Fisher SpaceXpander reverb meant for home stereo. It has an Accutronics spring tank. Like the Hammond oil filled version, they're supposed to be mounted vertically, input at the top, output at the bottom. The vertical placement avoids spring sag. I expect that the oil dampened the effect and eliminated tinniness.

– wabash slim

My lit shows one cab @ 313 pounds.

it's the killer rare C 40

https://organforum.com/foru...

An entire B3 w/ bench and pedals was 450.

Most were in the 110 to 200 pound range.

"If you just mean trying different ones of the correct type, go for it."

Yeah, of course!

I replaced the AT7 reverb driver (which was a Russian tube, likely Sovtek) with a NOS Mullard CV 4024, which is the British designation of the 12AT7A. NOW the reverb sounds like I remember in my previous PRRI! Gorgeous! Warmer, and the metallic ring is gone!

Register Sign in to join the conversation