Other Equipment

Reverend Bigsby Springs

I'm a recent convert, and all of my Bigsby (B6) equipped guitars have one now. Better Bigsby action, and the guitar stays in tune better because you're not manhandling that bar. (seriously, try it!)

With the little white plastic washer under it, the bar sits high enough.

These soft springs are OK if you don't bend strings. The Reverend soft springs make the Bigsby more like a Stratocaster vibrato, and allows all the strings severely detune (flat) during bends. I tried one, but it didn't work out with my playing style, so I almost immediately put the stock spring back in. The stock spring is far more forgiving of string bending, only very slightly detuning the guitar during bends. I only use the Bigsby to put a light shimmer on chords, so the stiffer stock spring is perfect (for me) for that type of effect.

Reverend Bigsby Springs---preaching this Sunday at the Triple Rock Church in Berwyn!

You don’t want to miss him on Revelations. Bring a covered dish and come expecting a blessing. Hand fans will be provided courtesy of Gethsemane Rollaway Funeral Parlor & Tanning Salon.

Reverend Bigsby Springs---preaching this Sunday at the Triple Rock Church in Berwyn!

You don’t want to miss him on Revelations. Bring a covered dish and come expecting a blessing. Hand fans will be provided courtesy of Gethsemane Rollaway Funeral Parlor & Tanning Salon.

– Proteus

Hmmm, I've been spending far too much time indoors, and need to work on my tan. I wonder if Gethsemane Rollaway Funeral Parlor and Tanning Salon makes housecalls?

ok, so I FINALLY got around to putting in the RSS.

I LOVE the way it feels; it is indeed much superior to the stock Bigsby spring.

BUT.

I can't use it. Due to it's lower-tension (lower resistance?), the bar sits way too low for me. Even after putting a penny under it. I think the Bigsby springs come in 7/8" and 1", right? Well I have a 1" Bigsby spring WITH a penny under it. It puts the bar a little higher, which I prefer for my aggressive playing style.

Damn shame. The Reverend feels like buttah. Too bad they don't make a longer one...

– ruger9

I had a similar issue and wound up putting a metal washer (instead of a penny) under the spring and put the white nylon washer on top of the spring (the hole in the white washer fit over the nut for the handle).

Phoenix with the Reverend. Perfect to me.

I've got the "DE" arm and play without pickguards.

No washers, just the soft spring, and the arm sits just a tad lower than the Gretsch 7/8" spring, which is perfect with no pickguard.

Using 10's on this longscale, and have zero tuning issues with Bigsby use or bending

These soft springs are OK if you don't bend strings. The Reverend soft springs make the Bigsby more like a Stratocaster vibrato, and allows all the strings severely detune (flat) during bends. I tried one, but it didn't work out with my playing style, so I almost immediately put the stock spring back in. The stock spring is far more forgiving of string bending, only very slightly detuning the guitar during bends. I only use the Bigsby to put a light shimmer on chords, so the stiffer stock spring is perfect (for me) for that type of effect.

– Wade H

I never considered that, and being very familiar with the phenomenon on my strat, I don't like the idea of it happening on my Gretsch. Thanks for the food for thought!

FWIW, people report it can be lessened greatly on a start in the same way: more tension, meaning more springs. You can still float it, but using 4 or 5 springs, so it's a much stiffer feel... but it resists the detuning on bends. I've been thinking of giving it a try on my strat.

I had a similar issue and wound up putting a metal washer (instead of a penny) under the spring and put the white nylon washer on top of the spring (the hole in the white washer fit over the nut for the handle).

– johnsgretsch

Yes, I thought of that after reading another post... I'm going to order a couple of the nylon washers (you can't put a penny on TOP of the spring... and give it another try.

By the way, regarding Bigsby action/tuning stability/Reverend springs :

Not something you'd want to do on a vintage guitar, unless it's a beater/player, I did it to my Korean Guild not so long ago. Drill a hole through the Bigsby spring cup and screw the Bigsby into the guitar's top - talking about a B6 equipped hollowbody here - on most archtops, that screw lands in the guitar's bracing, so no worries.

Thàt, plus a well cut/ramped/lubed nut, a bridge that's pinned (screwed down too in my case, on this guitar) and a Reverend spring, and even after my best Ike Turner imitation, the guitar stays in tune. It's a pretty spectacular difference.

Not something you'd want to do on a vintage guitar, unless it's a beater/player, I did it to my Korean Guild not so long ago. Drill a hole through the Bigsby spring cup and screw the Bigsby into the guitar's top - talking about a B6 equipped hollowbody here - on most archtops, that screw lands in the guitar's bracing, so no worries.

Thàt, plus a well cut/ramped/lubed nut, a bridge that's pinned (screwed down too in my case, on this guitar) and a Reverend spring, and even after my best Ike Turner imitation, the guitar stays in tune. It's a pretty spectacular difference.

– WB

Yep, look at my pic. Works very well.

Ah, didn't see that JD, sorry!

Ah, didn't see that JD, sorry!

– WB

That's cool. Shows that this mod is not one of those "it'll stick out" mods!

– WB

I just re-worked my nut (I changed to 11s years ago, but never addressed the nut, and it wouldn't hold tune very well), and my Hot Rod, Compton bridge (pinned), with the stock Bigsby 1" spring (and a penny), is holding tune incredibly well... and these are even new strings! (I do use Nut Sauce)

Sometimes it shocks me that a TINY adjustment (like 3 minutes spent on the nut) can make such a HUGE difference. It really is the difference between playing a guitar that is a PITA and a joy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation